Reaction score
Peplaw, the job of a receiver, or any player, is to do all they can to contribute to their team winning that game.
OK, and how do you know that Dez didn't do all that he can to contribute to winning the game? Because his stats weren't good?

If Weeden doesn't throw him the ball, how is he expected to have good stats?

And say the other secondary went with the press Dez with 2 CBs at the line and have safety help over the top all game, and he had 1 catch for 8 yards, then you would say "Sorry Dez... didn't do all you could"?

Stats only help when you know how to use them.

The entire reason for winning that game is to determine the best team. The. East team of all is determined by the. Championship games.
You don't get this kind of analysis on any other cowboys forums, folks. You looking at this Mr. Guy who's buying site from Dooms?

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure calling someone "elite" has lost all meaning ever since Joe Flacco was elevated to elite for winning the Super Bowl™.
Whether or not Dez gets big money is kinda moot.He will,somewhere.Probably from Jerry.
In the words of Clint Eastwood,"Deserves got nothin' to do with it".

Reaction score
dez11.jpg

Just good receivers face this coverage all the time.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Moronic...dumbass...midswat, you are a true intellectual giant.

I have to hand it to you.....you've only been around a little while but it looks like you've already got some things figured out. Kudos my man.

Reaction score
Bryant, who wants a new long-term deal and isn't interested in playing for the $12.8 million franchise tag in 2015, has threatened to hold out. But the Cowboys think he's bluffing, Ryan Wilson of CBS Sports reports. This according to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report.

"According to a source I talked to, there was no progress made between the two sides. That's because the Dallas Cowboys are not budging off of their long-term offer with approximately $20 million guaranteed and subsequent guarantees later on. One of the reasons why is the Cowboys believe that Bryant is bluffing when he talks about missing a game or two during the regular season. Despite the fact that he is on record saying that it is not a bluff. ...

"The second part is the Cowboys believe that Bryant ultimately needs the money, that he has money problems, and that either he will sign the tender for approximately $13 million for a franchise player or will ultimately sign the long-term deal by July 15 when the deadline for a long-term deal expires.

"The third thing is, Bryant has been around during the offseason, which gives the Cowboys further encouragement that he's going to be there when his teammates need him. ... The Cowboys believe that they have the leverage on their side in this deal."

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm usually pro-management on these things, but in this case I feel a little bad for Dez. It's like the team is using his love of football against him. If he didn't care as much and love football the way he does, they might take these holdout talks a little more seriously. But instead it's like, "No, we know you can't stay away and plus, we know you spend a ton of money, so you'll be here."

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm usually pro-management on these things, but in this case I feel a little bad for Dez. It's like the team is using his love of football against him. If he didn't care as much and love football the way he does, they might take these holdout talks a little more seriously. But instead it's like, "No, we know you can't stay away and plus, we know you spend a ton of money, so you'll be here."
You would have a case there if no deal had been offered yet, or if a really low ball deal was tendered. The deal Dallas is offering isn't lowball or unfair. I think Dez will do better than that deal though.

Plus the media has apparently forgotten one of the big sticking points of the new contract is the restrictions and monitoring Dallas wants to keep in place, that Dez wants gone.

But you are right about one assumption - Dez's negotiating position isn't the strongest ever seen. He can hold out for two games or even a year, then what?

Iamtdg

Reaction score
CowboysTalkLine ‏@CowboysTalkLine 5h5 hours ago
Dez Bryant took a screen pass against the Redskinsand turned into a 65 yard TD. How many other WR's would have done that?

Yeah, exactly.

Reaction score
CowboysTalkLine ‏@CowboysTalkLine 5h5 hours ago
Dez Bryant took a screen pass against the Redskinsand turned into a 65 yard TD. How many other WR's would have done that?

Yeah, exactly.
That's not the question. The question is: How often should plays happen that get the ball quickly into Dezs hands so he can punish the other team? All game long. What types of routes is he running? Typically not those. He should have the ball and murder the yards. Instead his idiot coach demands a system that has him run the distance to eventually earn the ball. He really does not out run many CBs. He makes plays in coverage because of a bad system for him. Watching that Redskin play is torment knowing he could do that game after game but his coach does not believe in using those type routes very often.

Yeah exactly

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Terrance Williams did it in the Lion playoff game. Receivers from Sam Hurd to Miles Austin have been making those plays since Romo first started. Granted, none have been as strong and powerful as Bryant but you can't assume NFL DB's can't tackle. I think they've thrown their share of quick outs, occasionally he breaks one, but the majority of the time he's wrapped up pretty quick.

Reaction score
Terrance Williams did it in the Lion playoff game. Receivers from Sam Hurd to Miles Austin have been making those plays since Romo first started. Granted, none have been as strong and powerful as Bryant but you can't assume NFL DB's can't tackle. I think they've thrown their share of quick outs, occasionally he breaks one, but the majority of the time he's wrapped up pretty quick.
It's not that DBs can't tackle. It's playing to Dezs strength. Vertical Speed is not his strength. The average NFL starting CB who faces the opposing #1 WR runs a 4.45/40. Dez is really not Torry Holt, Marvin Harrison, Isaac Bruce or Reggie Wayne. Playing violently is his strength. Give him the ball early. It doesn't happen often enough. Chris Collinsworth has pointed out that Jason leaves the middle of the field predictably open and especially during the Falcon game 2 years ago Collinsworth was laughing at Jason as he could not believe that Jason could see the whole middle of the field open and not take advantage of that gap. But Jason will not change his scheme theory and certain defensive coordinators know it.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But Jason will not change his scheme theory and certain defensive coordinators know it.
I bet they all do.

Part of what made Irvin so dangerous is they would move him around. He would line up either side, either wide or in the slot depending on what the opposing D was trying to do with him.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Saw where now the union is accusing Dallas and Denver of collusion - talking to each other about their receivers contracts in violation of the labor agreement.

God, I hate the fucking offseason.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That's not the question. The question is: How often should plays happen that get the ball quickly into Dezs hands so he can punish the other team? All game long. What types of routes is he running? Typically not those. He should have the ball and murder the yards. Instead his idiot coach demands a system that has him run the distance to eventually earn the ball. He really does not out run many CBs. He makes plays in coverage because of a bad system for him. Watching that Redskin play is torment knowing he could do that game after game but his coach does not believe in using those type routes very often.

Yeah exactly

When Linehan was the OC for the Vikings, those were the kind of plays that used to call regularly for Randy Moss, and Moss --- like Bryant, would kill fools with those plays. And when he was the OC for the Lions... called those plays regularly for Calvin Johnson. Definitely those were not Garrett's plays.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Saw where now the union is accusing Dallas and Denver of collusion - talking to each other about their receivers contracts in violation of the labor agreement.

God, I hate the fucking offseason.

I think this is just trying to raise the stakes.

Top Bottom