Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I don't know, fellas. But if McFadden stays healthy and we hand the rock to Randle a little bit more and get both of these guys in space ie screens, halfback throws; we could see a lot of explosive plays from the running game this year:

[video=youtube;uSK_uHVW78s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSK_uHVW78s[/video]

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Only comparison that I can make to Murray is that McFadden sure likes to vigorously finish a lot of his runs.

He's not afraid to lay his hat on someone.

Stiff arm's a killer too.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If he has huge holes, he can get through them and get more yards than Murray got.

He just gets tackled so easily with those toothpick legs. And I doubt he can stay healthy.

Reaction score
I was a fan of Murray, but i am excited to see what Randle and McFadden can do behind this offensive line. They may shatter some team rushing records. I think Murray left a lot of yards on the field. I know that’s contradictory to what everyone else believes. According to some experts, Cowboys have no chance without Murray (or AP for that matter).

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Who's going to get 1.5 yards on 3rd down or at the goal line?

Not this little skinny shit.

So he pops one or two 15-20 yard runs on first or second down each game. WGAS if you can't line up with him and get tough yards. Y'all crazy-a-in-a-muthafucka.

Reaction score
If he has huge holes, he can get through them and get more yards than Murray got.

He just gets tackled so easily with those toothpick legs. And I doubt he can stay healthy.

It's interesting because listening to Jerry talk about how the running game could be improved this year over last year, by "Romo having the kind of year he had last year", it seems like the typical Jerry transparent concern where the opposite of what he is yammering about is actually true. But there is one very pivotal area that could drastically improve without having to match the gobs of yards that Murray had: touchdowns. If the red zone running game becomes like LaDainian Tomlinson (2005-2006) or Emmitt Smith (1992, 1995, 1996) or Shawn Alexander (2005) type output where the TDs are almost automatic (even by committee), then it's an improvement. Steve Young said that it's not the amount of runs that you call, it's calling smart running plays at the right time.

The amount of hype that the O-line is getting isn't really a great thing, as part of the success of last year was that who knew that Zack Martin was going to be that good in his first year and the advantage was that the run game and O-line were an unknown quantity early in the season and took their opponents by surprise IMO. But having new styles of RBs in the fold actually prevents teams from truly game planning confidently if they don't know how DMC will run or be used, or Dunbar or whomever they get.

Score more TDs by running backs than last year = improved running game. It's possible.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
get both of these guys in space ie screens, halfback throws; we could see a lot of explosive plays from the running game
Those would be examples of explosive plays from the passing game but, yeah.

Of course we all gonna like what we see in the video, it is after all a highlight reel. But I don't think it's open for debate that McFadden is coming into a far better situation in Dallas than he ever saw in Oakland, supporting cast wise. Could bode well.

Reaction score
Those would be examples of explosive plays from the passing game but, yeah.

Of course we all gonna like what we see in the video, it is after all a highlight reel. But I don't think it's open for debate that McFadden is coming into a far better situation in Dallas than he ever saw in Oakland, supporting cast wise. Could bode well.

There was talk going into last year that Linehan liked to use screens.

Maybe.

But it's still Jason's playbook and Jason's team and non-pure pocket passing plays (ie screens) are not as valued to him as straightforward pass plays or even quick bubble screens because the O line is still in basic formation. Jason will allow check downs to the RB, except when he nonsensically clears out the backfield, but true screen passes are either not in Jason's coaching strength to develop (which is my hunch) or they don't fit nicely into his scheme theory of reacting to the defense.

The weird thing about the McFadden highlight reel was that DMC seems to run into the cluster rather than make a cut to daylight. Does he lack some vision?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think the offense can certainly function well with the guys we have, but none of them are Murray.

That said, I think if any of the 3 guys we have stay healthy and got 250+ carries, they'd easily gain 1100-1300 yds behind this offensive line.

Reaction score
I think the offense can certainly function well with the guys we have, but none of them are Murray.

That said, I think if any of the 3 guys we have stay healthy and got 250+ carries, they'd easily gain 1100-1300 yds behind this offensive line.

I feel like they are missing a bruiser type back who makes the defense pay for even being on the field. Synjyn?

Reaction score
I'm not as down on McFadden as some... I think he can be a 1000 yrd back if he's healthy, but I guess that's the issue. I think Randle might work out in short yardage. He doesn't run as violently as Murray, but I think he's pretty good at getting upfield when he gets a hole.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
There's no denying McFadden's talent. He's better out in space than Murray, definitely faster. He's issue has always been health... just like Murray. Imagine that.

Nobody would be talking about Murray, or forking over an $8 million contract if he was on the Raiders.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I was a fan of Murray, but i am excited to see what Randle and McFadden can do behind this offensive line. They may shatter some team rushing records. I think Murray left a lot of yards on the field. I know that’s contradictory to what everyone else believes. According to some experts, Cowboys have no chance without Murray (or AP for that matter).

At this very same time last year, the prediction BY THE EXPERTS... was that the Cowboys would finish either third or last in the division with a 6-10 record. And they predicted that Murray would be hurt --- he had been hurt the previous three seasons, why would they or any think otherwise?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Who's going to get 1.5 yards on 3rd down or at the goal line?

Not this little skinny shit.

So he pops one or two 15-20 yard runs on first or second down each game. WGAS if you can't line up with him and get tough yards. Y'all crazy-a-in-a-muthafucka.

Well if Garrett has a say, then the answer would be nobody because on a play like that he'll call a pass play.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score

Me being an SEC college fan, he was great in college if he had massive lanes to run through. I don't ever remember him running inside and getting the physical yards. He is easily tackled and I think that he was a bust due to his inability to play much physical football. A year ago, fans would have started riots if they thought he would be brought in to start in this offense. He signs with Dallas and I have read every excuse in the book about why he has been a bust and was not even the best RB on the Raiders. I have very little hope that he can stay healthy and he sure as hell can't carry the load for the running game.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Same here, j. I was a huge fan of his in college, but it's only looking back at it that I realize those were the first days of that wildcat look with the constant jet sweep action (with Felix) that defenses hadn't yet adjusted to, so he had huge holes to run through.

Like you say, he gets tackled so easily. It's like he's on stilts with those skinny legs and people hit him low and he just goes down. If our OL is as dominant as last year, he can probably offset that with some long runs when he does have a huge hole (think Murray getting stripped by Peppers in the playoff game) but it's just too concerning that those no-names outrushed him in Oakland.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Another major point IMO, is that there is not a RB on the roster capable of wearing a defense down and setting a physical tone. Most of the great RBs have stated that it takes a few carries to get into the flow of the game and run at their best. I don't think any of these RBs are going to put fear into the DBs and LBs. I just don't see DMC , Randle , Williams or Dunbar intimidating anybody at this point of their career. Maybe the rookie Days can knock one of these off the roster. Maybe he can get the physical yards needed on short yardage situations. I really hope he knocks Dhnbar off the roster at the very least.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Another major point IMO, is that there is not a RB on the roster capable of wearing a defense down and setting a physical tone.
Agree again. That's my problem with people comparing Murray vs Randle highlights or per-carry stats or whatever: Murray was physically beat up to hell the last third or so of the year. That's why he looked slower and didn't break as many tackles as he could have. Give Randle those same carries or even close and I have no doubt that he'd have looked pretty bad, or wouldn't even have survived it. Murray's physicality and guts were huge last year for setting a tone.

And when people bring up the Patriots and their RB by committee, that's a passing offense dominated by Brady. They haven't been a power running offense since they had Corey Dillon many years ago. And I thought we were moving away from that kind of offense where the QB carried the whole team.

And we know the front office agrees with no matter what they say or they wouldn't have brought in all those 1st and 2nd round backs before the draft. But I wouldn't totally rule out Peterson, either. You know Jerry's trigger finger is incredibly itchy right now and it's only going to get worse.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So which is it belly achers?

Do we acquire a RB we can run into the ground (ala Murray) and "wear defenses down" or do we use a RB by committee but not have a single RB that can wear a defense down by himself?

Reaction score
I’d rather have my offensive lineman beating up and wearing down the defense. I want my running back avoiding contact and making guys miss.

Top Bottom