Reaction score
Great read from Brandon George in the DMN... Makes it understandable why the team is balking at a lucrative extension.

Turmoil hits Dez Bryant’s inner circle; rift between old adviser, new agents clouds contract talks

By BRANDON GEORGE Follow @DMN_George bgeorge@dallasnews.com
Staff Writer

Published: 16 April 2015 11:06 PM

Dez Bryant has remained quiet most of this offseason, but he’s been busy. The Pro Bowl receiver began severing business ties with some longtime associates a few weeks after the Cowboys were eliminated from the playoffs in January.

The process hasn’t played out face-to-face but rather through a trail of documents. Termination and cease-and-desist letters were delivered to multiple parties, and at least one lawsuit has already been filed.

Bryant started taking more control of his career path in late October by firing agent Eugene Parker and retaining the management services of Roc Nation Sports.

After extensive interviews with many close to Bryant, a difference of opinion remains as to why the receiver is making the changes. Some say Bryant made the shift midway through last season as part of a growing maturity that should warrant more freedom. Others say it is driven by Roc Nation and falls in line with any professional athlete changing representatives.

"I'm the one making the decisions on who to trust and who to be surrounded by," Bryant said Friday morning. "I've surrounded myself with people who I think deserve to be trusted."

Bryant, 26, began breaking business ties with some of his longtime associates a few weeks after The News reported in late December that three Cowboys employees had expressed concern over the amount of people living at or dropping by Bryant’s DeSoto home.

The behind-the-scenes action was unfolding while Bryant and the Cowboys made little progress on long-term contract negotiations that ultimately led to the club using its franchise tag in early March to retain the receiver for one more year with a guaranteed 2015 salary of $12.8 million.

Though Cowboys officials expect Bryant to take part in the team’s offseason program, the receiver isn’t expected to be at Valley Ranch on Monday for the first official voluntary workout — where activities are limited to strength and conditioning — because he has yet to sign his one-year tender. The Cowboys have until July 15 to work out a long-term deal.

At the top of Bryant’s separation list this offseason is David Wells, the man who took Bryant under his wing even before the Cowboys drafted him 24th overall in 2010. Bryant moved into Wells’ home in DeSoto in 2009 and was there the night the Cowboys drafted him out of Oklahoma State.

Wells has served many roles for Bryant over the last six years, from mentor and adviser to consultant and head of his security team. The relationship between Wells and Bryant is one the Cowboys have encouraged. Wells, a former bail bondsman who now serves as a private investigator, has been a constant figure around Bryant, even on Cowboys road trips.

Wells has helped the Cowboys over the years with players such as Michael Irvin, Adam “PacMan” Jones and most recently Josh Brent. Having Wells close to Bryant allowed the Cowboys to keep tabs on their star receiver who often found off-the-field trouble early in his career.

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones declined to comment for this story.

Cutting ties

On Feb. 18, New York-based lawyer Jordan Siev — working on behalf of Bryant — sent Wells a termination letter. Two days later, Wells was sent another letter, obtained by The Dallas Morning News, demanding that he “cease and desist from engaging in any activities on behalf of Mr. Bryant as you no longer have any authority to act for Mr. Bryant in any way.”

The second letter also served as a notification to Wells that he relinquish his power of attorney over Bryant. Wells has maintained power of attorney for Bryant throughout his career, allowing Wells to open and manage some of Bryant’s bank accounts and enter into agreements or sign contracts on behalf of the receiver.

The Feb. 20 letter sent to Wells from Siev notified Wells that “any and all powers of attorney granted to you by Mr. Bryant … have been revoked, rescinded and terminated in their entirety and effective immediately.

“For the avoidance of any doubt, you do not have the requisite permission or authorization to hold yourself out to carry third parties as Mr. Bryant’s representative for any purpose, involve yourself in any manner whatsoever with Mr. Bryant’s sponsorship and endorsement deals, collect any monies that Mr. Bryant may earn from his sponsorship, promotional and endorsement activities and use Mr. Bryant’s name, or Dez I Enterprises, Inc., in connection with any existing business interests or future opportunities.”

Bryant delivered a cryptic tweet the same day the cease-and-desist letter was sent to Wells. This was also around the time several national NFL writers began publicly talking about rumors of a Wal-Mart parking lot video from 2011 that allegedly showed Bryant involved in an incident that could have damaged his career. No video ever surfaced.

“Just quit with the B.S,” Bryant’s tweet read. “It’s clear as day what’s going on. I might need to do an exclusive interview about my life these past 5 years since the world is destined to know. I used to let people take advantage of my life. Now that I’m no longer allowing that to happen it seems to be a problem. I’m not ashamed of none of my past incidents because that’s what made me who I am today.”

The Feb. 20 letter sent by Bryant’s attorney also demanded that Wells “immediately turn over to us any and all items belonging to Mr. Bryant in your possession.”

Wells said he never responded to the letters mailed to his home address and emailed to him. Roc Nation officials have never met with Wells, who said this week that he has a legal binding advisory contract with Bryant that runs through 2018.

“I’m weighing my options whether I want to file a tortious interference lawsuit against Roc Nation,” Wells said.

Tortious interference allows a claim for damages against a defendant who wrongfully interferes with a plaintiff’s contractual or business relationships.

Wells has strong ties to many of the most influential names in the Dallas criminal justice system, but he also has blemishes on his own résumé, including being sentenced to three years probation in 2008 for his part of an income tax evasion scheme that cost him his bail bonds license.

The Feb. 20 letter also notified Wells that “it has come to our attention that earlier this month you received, on Mr. Bryant’s behalf, a payment due and owing to Mr. Bryant from BioSteel Sports Supplements, Inc. … We demand you immediately remit to us for the benefit of Mr. Bryant all monies that you have obtained from BioSteel (or any other person or entity) on Mr. Bryant’s behalf.”

The letter gave Wells a Feb. 23 deadline to remit the money allegedly owed to Bryant and “provide us with the requested materials, as well as written confirmation of your compliance with the demands set forth in this letter.”

However, BioSteel president and CEO John Celenza said he has no problems with Bryant or Wells and Bryant has been paid in full. Furthermore, the contract between Bryant and BioSteel calls for the money paid to Bryant to be deposited in an escrow account toward the purchase of a Bugatti, a French-manufactured high-performance sports car often priced in the millions.

“We’re good with Dez. We’re good with David,” Celenza said. “That’s between Dez, David and Roc Nation. And that’ll probably drag on for years.”

Celenza and Bryant’s other endorsement companies — including Nike’s popular Jordan Brand — were notified in February via letters signed by Bryant that they are to now deal directly with Bryant’s new Roc Nation agent, Kimberly Miale, and no one else. Miale was not made available for comment for this story.

Others affected

Wells, 52, isn’t the only person within Bryant’s inner circle who has been affected by the receiver’s change of plans this offseason.

Ryan Totka, a sports talent booking agent, met Bryant about two years ago through Wells. Totka grew close to Bryant and some of his family members. For most of the last two years he managed Bryant’s social media accounts until his access was taken away a few weeks ago.

Totka also built Bryant’s website, Dez Bryant Official Website - Dallas Cowboys #88, and helped establish Bryant’s “ThrowUpTheX” brand — based on his touchdown celebration where he makes an X with his crossed arms — that increased in popularity in 2014.

Two months ago, Totka received a termination letter from Bryant’s lawyer that alleged Totka and his “Official Brands” company had failed to follow the terms of their contract with Bryant.

Then, on March 9, Austin-based lawyer Kevin Brown — on behalf of Bryant and his corporate entity Dez I Enterprises, Inc. — filed a civil suit in Travis County District Court against Official Brands, Inc.

The lawsuit seeks an order rescinding the license agreement between Totka and Bryant and requests that Official Brands cease and desist from making any further sales of products and using the receiver’s name, nickname, signature, likeness, Throw Up The X brand and more in connection with the company’s websites and social media forums. Additionally, the civil suit seeks compensatory damages in an amount to be determined at trial, but not less than $2 million.

Totka signed a two-year contract with Bryant in July that paid the receiver a monthly 70 percent royalty rate based on profits from merchandise sales, according to the civil suit that details the contract terms.

The lawsuit contends a breach of contract by Official Brands, including a failure to pay all royalties to Bryant and a failure to obtain Bryant’s approval of products and product design, among other claims.

On April 1, Official Brands filed a motion in Travis County District Court to dismiss Dez I Enterprises’ civil suit and generally denied “each and every allegation” contained in the original suit.

The websites remain active and merchandise is still being sold.

Totka said Bryant became more distant when he switched agents midway through last season.

“In a way, you don’t know who to trust,” Totka said. “You do a good job for somebody, and I was tight with his family. All of this stuff was on my dime, and we all had a great relationship and nothing was ever bad and then all of a sudden when the switch came they start being distant. The relationship became really, really weird and distant after the switch came.

“I moved to Texas to help build his brand and run it. When you do good things for people and then they didn’t stick up for you when they know everything they did for you was good stuff … it’s like a big slap in the face.”

Royce West, the longtime state senator who represents Texas’ 23rd District that includes much of DeSoto, and Wells helped form Dez I Enterprises in April 2010. The corporation, which is largely dormant now, lists its principal office at the home address of Wells and he’s still listed as one of three directors.

Cutting all ties to Wells could prove difficult for Bryant. He still lives in a gated community in DeSoto — right around the corner from Wells — in a home owned by West. Bryant still calls and texts Wells.

West declined to comment for this story.

Bryant plans to soon move out of the DeSoto home and is weeks away from launching his own charitable foundation.

All the changes in Bryant’s life come at a time when he’s to receive the biggest payday of his life — the $12.8 million associated with the franchise tag is $1 million more than he received over the five years of his rookie deal — and, in turn, make himself more vulnerable to pitfalls and predators. Bryant could receive even more money if he reaches a long-term contract extension with the Cowboys that could top $100 million.

For Bryant, this is another chance to clean up his finances, perhaps better positioning himself to avoid following in the footsteps of many professional athletes who are broke soon after retirement.

Nearly one in six NFL players files for bankruptcy within a dozen years after retirement, according to an analysis released this month by the National Bureau of Economic Research.

Bryant believes after a shaky off-field start to his Cowboys career he has shown enough maturity to warrant more freedom. The Cowboys credit what has become known as the “Dez Rules” — implemented before the start of the 2012 season and enforced by Wells and others that mandated tight security, curfews, places to stay away from and counseling — for Bryant mostly avoiding off-the-field trouble the last three years.

Wells and Bryant were first introduced by then-Texas Tech receiver Michael Crabtree at a college football awards ceremony in Orlando, Fla., in December 2008. Crabtree, the NFL receiver who is the son of Wells’ cousin, has known Wells all of his life.

Some close to Wells and Bryant have described their association as a father-son bond. Their relationship has stood the test of time and survived two previous agent changes by Bryant.

Parker was Bryant’s original agent out of college. But toward the end of the 2011 season, Bryant fired Parker and hired Drew Rosenhaus to represent him. Bryant parted ways with Rosenhaus and re-hired Parker just before the 2012 season.

Now, the seven-year bond between Wells and Bryant is being tested again.

Staff writers Brooks Egerton and Brad Townsend contributed to this report.

Reaction score
Bryant plans to soon move out of the DeSoto home and is weeks away from launching his own charitable foundation.

All the changes in Bryant’s life come at a time when he’s to receive the biggest payday of his life — the $12.8 million associated with the franchise tag is $1 million more than he received over the five years of his rookie deal — and, in turn, make himself more vulnerable to pitfalls and predators. Bryant could receive even more money if he reaches a long-term contract extension with the Cowboys that could top $100 million.

For Bryant, this is another chance to clean up his finances, perhaps better positioning himself to avoid following in the footsteps of many professional athletes who are broke soon after retirement.

Nearly one in six NFL players files for bankruptcy within a dozen years after retirement, according to an analysis released this month by the National Bureau of Economic Research.

Bryant believes after a shaky off-field start to his Cowboys career he has shown enough maturity to warrant more freedom. The Cowboys credit what has become known as the “Dez Rules” — implemented before the start of the 2012 season and enforced by Wells and others that mandated tight security, curfews, places to stay away from and counseling — for Bryant mostly avoiding off-the-field trouble the last three years.

I understand the Cowboys stance to wait and see but i do think Bryant has proved himself off the field. I dont see how he is a head case because he is trying to be his own person, have more freedom and clean up his finances.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
predictable post
What else would you call what he's done and is now doing? Seems it's just trading one slave master for another. Power of Attorney? Who the fuck does that unless they are found mentally incompetent? Dumping the management and agent talent that got him where he is, for freaking Jay-Z? We start to see a more full picture now of why he's not signed, I don't blame Dallas at all for balking.

Reaction score
Omg he so dumb for having a power of attorney!

Omg what a head case getting rid of the power of attorney!

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Omg he so dumb for having a power of attorney!
You think it's dumb, I merely think it's bizarre.

Omg what a head case getting rid of the power of attorney!
Only to sign another one with yet another agent.

Who the fuck even DOES this anyway? Is this common for professional athletes?

Reaction score
I don't think it's dumb or bizarre.

In fact, I think it was a very mature thing for him to do. He didn't have a traditional upringing. A lot of 21 year old newly minted millionaires flop because they can't handle it all. Dez has thrived.

As far as changing agents, uh yeah... The team has been all up in Dez's business since he's been in the league. He's rewarded them by staying clean and dominating on game days. Loyalty should exist on both sides, but the team has been very public about their "distrust." I don't blame the player for cutting ties with his team assigned 'handler' and replacing the agent who hasn't gotten him a new deal yet.

There's plenty of players you can point to as being knuckleheads or headcases on this roster. Rolondo. Randle. Hardy. Etc.

Give me a break for bashing Dez for this.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Let's just forget about him beating the shit out of his mom, his histrionics on the sidelines, and never mind that the Dallas Cowboys basically saved him from himself. Pretend all day long that what the team did wasn't due to his erratic, head case behavior and was instead just for kicks.

A WR at pick 27 looks more and more attractive.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
So, what justifies breaking his contract with Wells he had before Dallas even drafted him, that reportedly still is valid and runs through 2018? That's not bizarre? Did you not read this piece? From what it says, Bryant didn't have any problems with any of his "handlers" and swag partners until Jay-Z got in his ear.

Again as I said before and Peplaw said as well - We start to see a more full picture now of why he's not signed, I don't blame Dallas at all for balking. If that's "bashing" I plea guilty.

Reaction score
Again as I said before and Peplaw said as well - We start to see a more full picture now of why he's not signed, I don't blame Dallas at all for balking. If that's "bashing" I plea guilty.
Woah woah woah....

All I said is I can see why the team is taking a wait and see approach given the massive changes in his life. I'm not on board with assuming that he's making the wrong moves, or that he's a head case.

You're on that ledge all on your own.

Reaction score
For professional athletes? NFL players?

For anyone really... But I would think especially so for professional athletes. Those guys don't have the time to watch all their finances. They have financial professionals who have at the very least authority to handle their accounts... which is what a power of attorney would do. And there's all kinds of powers you can grant to a person to act in your stead. Just saying there's a power of attorney really gives us little info to say what powers specifically these guys have. There may be multiple powers of attorney out there to multiple people for different kinds of actions.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm not on board with assuming that he's making the wrong moves, or that he's a head case.
I didn't say you were. We both said essentially the same thing, we understand more now why Dallas might be balking. We understand why Dez isn't signed. "Head case" stuff is all me.

Just found a February op-ed by Leigh Steinberg about players going broke. He doesn't outright say so, but it sounds like power of attorney isn't advisable and seldom actually happens.

5 Reasons Why 80% Of Retired NFL Players Go Broke - Forbes

But many NFLers are approached on campus by financial planners and agents who offer financial inducements to sign with them. Some financial planners ask players to sign power of attorney enabling the advisor to make investments or withdraw money without prior authorization–this is fraught with peril.

The NFLPA has tried to protect players financially. They have a program that scrutinizes financial planners and only allows referrals to the planners who they approve. The NFLPA offers education in the financial areas in a variety of ways. The NFL holds a mandatory seminar for draft picks that also tries to warn and protect them. Some athletes do not avail themselves of any of these protections.
So, how common is this?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And look, the fucking article leaves little doubt that everything was fine and dandy with Dez's relationships until Jay-Z got in his fucking ear. Now he is dumping long term associations and divorcing himself from the very people who helped him get where he is now and who very likely saved him from himself, and made him some good money to boot. He's got one lawsuit over it already and likely another one coming. Who's paying for all that?

I call this bizarre and the work of a fucking head case.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Soap opera.

Dez will either get into trouble or sign a big contract, which represent the same possible outcomes regardless of who he is associating with or represented by.

Top Bottom