touchdown

Defense Wins Championships
Reaction score
The Day After Trinity

The Criterion Channel

This essential, Academy Award–nominated documentary offers an urgent warning from history about the dangers of nuclear warfare via the story of J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic physicist and all-around Renaissance man who led the Manhattan Project to develop the atomic bomb that America unleashed on Japan in the final days of World War II. Through extensive interviews and archival footage, THE DAY AFTER TRINITY traces Oppenheimer’s evolution, from architect of one of the most consequential endeavors of the twentieth century to an outspoken opponent of nuclear proliferation who came to deeply regret his role in ushering in the perils of the atomic age.

touchdown

Reaction score
I've decided, for convenience, to see the movie on a "small" screen at my neighborhood theater on Tuesday afternoon for $6.50. I will then decide if I want to try for the IMAX 70mm at the Dallas Cinemark, if the run is extended, for the chance of getting other than 1st three rows seating...

‘Oppenheimer’ Cast and Historical Guide: The Real People Behind the First Atomic Bomb

The one thing you need to know about Christopher Nolan’s “Oppenheimer” is that it moves incredibly fast and covers a lot of ground. For most of its three-hour runtime, the atomic bomb epic can feel as if you’re reading a dense biography about J. Robert Oppenheimer at three times the normal speed. With so many scientist characters orbiting Oppenheimer at light speed, you’d be forgiven for feeling a little lost at times.

To help watch “Oppenheimer” with a bit more clarity, it’s important to know the movie takes place during three time periods. One timeline is set in 1954 as the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) holds a security hearing to investigate whether or not Oppenheimer (Cillian Murphy) is a Soviet spy. The hearing prompts the film to flash back to the events of Oppenheimer’s life, from his university days to his role in creating the atomic bomb. These portions of the film, shot in color, make up the bulk of “Oppenheimer’s” three-hour runtime.

A third storyline is shot in black and white and takes place in 1959 as Lewis Strauss (Robert Downey Jr.), the former chairman of the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, is seeking to become U.S. Secretary of Commerce under President Dwight D. Eisenhower. Strauss finds himself at the center of his own U.S. Senate confirmation hearing, which threatens to expose his involvement in the events of the 1954 timeline.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I've decided, for convenience, to see the movie on a "small" screen at my neighborhood theater on Tuesday afternoon for $6.50.

Dang, I came her etc ask if you thought the iMax experience was worth it.

I dont think I've ever seen a movie in iMax, whats the difference?

I've been trying to get a ticket at AMC Northpark but their booked for 2 weeks during the times I can see it

Have you ever seen a movie at the Northpark iMax?

If so, whats the best seat to try and get?

touchdown

Reaction score
Dang, I came her etc ask if you thought the iMax experience was worth it.

I dont think I've ever seen a movie in iMax, whats the difference?

I've been trying to get a ticket at AMC Northpark but their booked for 2 weeks during the times I can see it

Have you ever seen a movie at the Northpark iMax?

If so, whats the best seat to try and get?
The Dallas LBJ Cinemark 70mm IMAX is the larger print of the film. If you want the biggest experience of this film in IMAX, then that Cinemark is the only location in DFW to see that version of the film.

Other IMAX versions in the area are okay, but that's the situation.

The Cinemark told me that they would announce on August 8th if they would be having an extended engagement of the 70mm IMAX.

If I like the film on the regular screen, then I will try for that.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm guessing your retired TD?

If not, I don't see how you find the time to watch all these long videos

thx for the heads up about iMax

touchdown

Reaction score
The Windscale fire of 10 October 1957 was the worst nuclear accident in the United Kingdom's history, and one of the worst in the world, ranked in severity at level 5 out of 7 on the International Nuclear Event Scale.

touchdown

Reaction score
The Extraordinary End to the Nazi Nuclear Program

Gen. Groves put together a Task Force known as the ALSOS Mission.

Lt. Col. Boris Pash was appointed to lead the task force as they searched in occupied Europe for Nuclear sites and scientists.

Creeper

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Opinion: Nolan’s ‘Oppenheimer’ marred by 5 historical inaccuracies

By Barton Bernstein, a Professor of History at Stanford

Has there ever been a Hollywood representation of history that was 100% accurate? I don't think so. Even most documentaries take liberties with the accepted versions of history.

I haven't seen this movie yet and I am looking forward to it, but I would never expect it to tell that truth 100% of the time.

touchdown

Reaction score
Has there ever been a Hollywood representation of history that was 100% accurate? I don't think so. Even most documentaries take liberties with the accepted versions of history.

I haven't seen this movie yet and I am looking forward to it, but I would never expect it to tell that truth 100% of the time.

touchdown

Reaction score
$4 Sunday, August 27th

touchdown

Reaction score
I enjoyed watching this PBS program, in the light of the movie Chinatown:

Flood in the Desert (full documentary) | AMERICAN EXPERIENCE

Just before midnight on March 12, 1928, about 40 miles north of Los Angeles, one of the biggest dams in the country blew apart, releasing a wall of water 20 stories high. Ten thousand people lived downstream. FLOOD IN THE DESERT tells the story of the St. Francis Dam disaster, which not only destroyed hundreds of lives and millions of dollars’ worth of property; it also washed away the reputation of William Mulholland, the father of modern Los Angeles, and jeopardized larger plans to transform the West. A self-taught engineer, the 72-year-old Mulholland had launched the city’s remarkable growth by building both an aqueduct to pipe water 233 miles from the Sierra Nevada Mountains, and the St. Francis Dam, to hold a full year’s supply of water for Los Angeles.

Top Bottom