Reaction score
Draft is under 30 days away.

You feel any excitement? I don't, really. Maybe because we have such a low pick (good problem to have).

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Draft is under 30 days away.

You feel any excitement? I don't, really. Maybe because we have such a low pick (good problem to have).

Same here. More excited to see what will happen at the top of the draft than what we do, really.

Like you say, that's not all bad. We have a pretty good team and we're picking low, so some of that is to be expected.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Draft is like Christmas in Spring time

I get pumped up about it every yr. Not just overall, but especially for us. In the past there was always that feeling that whatever we could do bad, Jerry would do bad. But other than the Claiborne thing, our drafting for the past several years has been pretty solid.

We're pretty close to being really good. Another good raft could put us in great position for 2015 and 2016 to contend for a championship.

Reaction score
Connecticut cornerback Byron Jones turned heads with his numbers at the NFL Scouting Combine in February and kept the buzz going at his pro day on Tuesday with a 40-yard dash in the 4.36-4.39 range, which would have ranked among the best in Indianapolis.

Jones is ranked among the top cornerback prospects in the 2015 class and is viewed as a possible first round pick. Several high-ranking NFL decision-makers were in attendance at UConn’s pro day, including head coaches Chip Kelly (Philadelphia Eagles) and Mike Zimmer (Minnesota Vikings).

At 6-1 and 199 pounds, he jumped out of Lucas Oil Stadium in the vertical (44.5-inches) and broad jump (12’03”) at the Combine, but was unable to run as he continued his rehab from shoulder surgery. He also performed 18 reps on the bench press at his pro day and impressed during positional drills.

Jones plays with some hip and upper body tightness and inconsistent technique, but his fluid lower body helps mask those mechanical flaws. Although unpolished in areas, his combination of size, smarts and natural athleticism is what NFL teams seek at the cornerback position. Factor in his high character and impressive intangibles and Jones is an attractive prospect that many believe will land in the draft’s first round.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I get that the guy is crazy athletic but nothing he did on field screams 1st round to me.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Same here. More excited to see what will happen at the top of the draft than what we do, really.

Like you say, that's not all bad. We have a pretty good team and we're picking low, so some of that is to be expected.

I love the draft no matter what. It's nicer when we are better at it, like how innovative we were back in the 70's and then Jimmy Johnson turning the draft on its head in the 90s. Still, if the Dallas Cowboys are my favorite thing in the world, followed by the USC Trojan football team (do other sports even exist?), then the draft would be number 3. Not to mention, scouting is what I'm trying to transition onto.

Recently, I remember losing my mind when we drafted Dez... like a giant homer when we landed Tyron since I knew about the team's interest in him super early.....feeling we overpaid when we jumped up and drafted Claiborne...I was in class when we traded down for Travis Frederick, liked the player, felt we didn't get enough to trade down that far, plus, I liked Eric Reid a lot. I'll be in a marketing class the first round of this upcoming draft, depending on GloryDays to text me with the picks. This year is extra cool for me since I was a volunteer coach at Mesa CC in 2012 and I know Damarious Randall well. Now that I'm full-time staff, I still deal with Damarious, getting him field time and having him come talk to the players and in one of the coach's classes. If Damarious doesn't go in the 1st and has his draft party out here (he may do it in Pensacola), then I and the other coaches will be there. I'll wake up early Day 3 and wince, bitch, and complain about every player I like that we pass on. I'm a draft nerd, groupie, whatever.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
draft lost its allure when they stretched it out into three days (including a weeknight), made the draftees hug Goodell, turned it into a traveling roadshow, etc.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Agree with that, bb. Starting it on a weeknight and stretching it out three days was ridiculous, IMO.

And I hear you, cmd, I'm just not as into it as I used to be for some reason. I'll probably get a little more into it as it gets closer, but it still won't be as much as in the past. Part of it is the ever-increasing circus bb mentioned, part of it is losing some interest in the team in general.

But I am very interested in what our opponents do, considering the Skins and Giants pick so high and they could get some difference-making players. Also interested in if Kelly does anything crazy given everything else he's done so far since he got control.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
the best thing they did was stop reporters from "tipping off" who the pick will be. I want some suspense when the commish approaches the podium.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I stopped reading cmd's post when he started talking about his made up life.

Give me your contact info and I will have someone we both trust confirm everything I posted!!!!! Don't doubt me and if you do, just put me on ignore!!!!

Anyway, Bob used to be a good draft poster but then he decided all of his posts have to be worthless.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
when? when??

Bob would always have a really good player or two he'd be all over before the draft. They'd end up going much higher than I anticipated.

Now he just posts about fags.

Top Bottom