Reaction score
Michael Vick says Jameis Winston is 'the future of the NFL'

12/20/2014 7:27:38 PM

Michael Vick sees Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston as "the future of the NFL," Darryl Slater of the Newark Star-Ledger reports.

"I think he's a great player," Vick said Friday in the Jets' locker room. "I've been around so long, I appreciate guys coming out of college. I look forward to watching him. I have high expectations for him. I think he, over time, has made some poor decisions. Have I been there to know exactly what happened? No.

"But I do know one thing: He may make some poor decisions, but he gets on that football field and he plays his ass off. Yeah, he can mature. He'll mature. I see him maturing as time goes on. Like, this year hasn't been as bad of a year as the first year was for Jameis. I think the kid will continue to improve. I think he's the future of the NFL."

Vick thinks it would be difficult, but not impossible, for Winston to succeed in a big market.

"I think it's hard," Vick said. "I think his support cast just has to be around him. You can't put him in a room with a group of young guys."

"The more veterans around, the more he'll pick up on things and he'll mature quickly," Vick continued. "That's the trend I've been around since I've been in the league. "

Top Bottom