Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's not 1974 anymore Dooms.

Different era. Different league.
It's about standards. It's a okay season if you have a winning record and made the playoffs. It is a good season if you had some success in the playoffs. It is a successful season if you win the Super Bowl.

What the fuck is the point of the season anyhow?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Staubach wouldn't until it culminated in a Super Bowl win. Until that is accomplished, NO we don't "have to" consider it a successful season.

Part of the reason he said that though is the fact that until that point (1971) the Cowboys had always failed to win the big one. I believe the term was coined "next year's champions" because the Cowboys were losing to GB (twice), Cleveland (twice) and then Baltimore in the postseason every year. Even though most of those years they had dominant teams.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Part of the reason he said that though is the fact that until that point (1971) the Cowboys had always failed to win the big one. I believe the term was coined "next year's champions" because the Cowboys were losing to GB (twice), Cleveland (twice) and then Baltimore in the postseason every year. Even though most of those years they had dominant teams.
Those were good seasons.

Not successful ones, by Roger's definition and shouldn't be, by ours. The standard was set.

Reaction score
It's a retarded, unrealistic, and outdated standard.

But you stand by that.

Me? I'll consider a division title and a chance to do something in the post season a success. Especially considering the handicap we have at GM and head coach.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Yeah, a division title and a playoff berth is "progress".

At least now Garrett's extension will have some solid basis behind it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It's a retarded, unrealistic, and outdated standard.

But you stand by that.

Me? I'll consider a division title and a chance to do something in the post season a success. Especially considering the handicap we have at GM and head coach.

I think this might be only the 3rd time in message board history I've agreed with something Mid says

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
t's a retarded, unrealistic, and outdated standard.

But you stand by that.

You stick with Cleveland standards for success, I'll stick with Dallas' standard for success as defined by Staubach.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, a division title and a playoff berth is "progress".

At least now Garrett's extension will have some solid basis behind it.

That's what we said when Wade got extended. "Hey, he won the East and coached us to a playoff win!" That lasted for about a year.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That's what we said when Wade got extended. "He, he won the East and coached us to a playoff win!" That lasted for about a year.

Said it before, but I think this year = 2009, next year = 2010.

This team does not handle success well, especially after an offseason of hearing how great they are plus a bunch of fat new contracts.

Reaction score
You stick with Cleveland standards for success, I'll stick with Dallas' standard for success as defined by Staubach.

Don't mock the Cleveland's of the league anymore.... Because that's what we've become the past 20 years. The picture of mediocrity.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Said it before, but I think this year = 2009, next year = 2010.

This team does not handle success well, especially after an offseason of hearing how great they are plus a bunch of fat new contracts.

Actually, you were like most and said we were gonna be bad this yr.

What happens next yr will have a lot to do with the QB situation. If Romo is good to go I could see the defense being improved quite a bit in free agency and the draft, and our offense is pretty much set everywhere. We also have arguably the best kicker in the league.

The only way there's a repeat of what went down from 2009 to 2010 is if Romo isn't good to go and the backup QB situation isn't better.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Don't mock the Cleveland's of the league anymore.... Because that's what we've become the past 20 years. The picture of mediocrity.
Because.... The organization as a whole and also its idiot fans, forgot Roger's standard and want to call anything better than 8-8 a "successful football season."

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Because.... The organization as a whole and also its idiot fans, forgot Roger's standard and want to call anything better than 8-8 a "successful football season."

After 4 straight non playoff seasons, winning the division and potentially making some noise in the playoffs WOULD be an obvious sign of improvement and compared to last 4 yrs, a "successful" football season. Especially considering a lot of people predicted a last place finish for this team.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
After 4 straight non playoff seasons, winning the division and potentially making some noise in the playoffs WOULD be an obvious sign of improvement and compared to last 4 yrs, a "successful" football season. Especially considering a lot of people predicted a last place finish for this team.
The word "successful" is defined as, winning the Super Bowl.

Everything else on the winning side (at least 10 wins) is either just okay, pretty good or really good, depending on playoff appearance and wins.

Right now they've secured the "okay" status. If they get in and win one in the playoffs, that's "pretty good." If they get to the NFC title game, that's "really good" and if they win the Super Bowl, THAT is a "successful football season" as defined by Staubach.

It doesn't matter what was done in prior years, as a comparison to the current one. You would probably say a 9-7 finish was "successful" using your meter. I would not. I would say it is just "okay."

Nobody's arguing that 10-6 isn't a improvement over 8-8. But it does not represent a successful football season.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The word "successful" is defined as, winning the Super Bowl.

Everything else on the winning side (at least 10 wins) is either just okay, pretty good or really good, depending on playoff appearance and wins.

Right now they've secured the "okay" status. If they get in and win one in the playoffs, that's "pretty good." If they get to the NFC title game, that's "really good" and if they win the Super Bowl, THAT is a "successful football season" as defined by Staubach.

It doesn't matter what was done in prior years, as a comparison to the current one. You would probably say a 9-7 finish was "successful" using your meter. I would not. I would say it is just "okay."

Nobody's arguing that 10-6 isn't a improvement over 8-8. But it does not represent a successful football season.

Semantics dude

Again, Staubach said what he said in part because of coming up short year after year for the 5 or 6 previous seasons, but the bar WAS really high for them because they had a dominant team with a ton of talent. The ONLY way they could have a "successful" season then was to finally win it all. Nobody was saying in 1965 that the only success was to win a championship. It came to that because of the teams run and overall talent level.

This 2014 team is in no way, shape or form in a similar boat as the 1971 Cowboys. The expectations were extremely low and the team has been mired in mediocrity for two decades.

Reaction score
Are you momos actually arguing the difference between "okay," "pretty good," "really good" and "successful?"

Reaction score
This is a dumb discussion.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Myself, I look at the potential of the team and expectations and adjust goals accordingly. I could honestly give two fucks less what Roger Staubach said. I have a fully functioning brain and don't need to rely on a relic from a bygone era to formulate my opinions.

You don't want to call this season a success? Idgaf. I will (provided we win the division and win a playoff game).

I will say though... depending on your age and health, if it's Super Bowl or bust in your mind, then you may never see a "successful" season ever again in your lifetime. Jerry could outlive us all.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Lets get this done today, then use next week as a semi bye week and get rested for a home game wild card weekend (hopefully vs Detroit)

Top Bottom