Reaction score
Chip Kelly: 'Shame on us' if we miss playoffs with 11 wins
Dec
12/18/2014 8:53:14 AM
Share on email Share on print Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on myspace Share on stumbleupon Share on digg | More Sharing ServicesMore
If the Philadelphia Eagles win out this season and finish 11-5, there is no guarantee they will make the playoffs. That will be one victory better than last season's 10-6 team.

Is that progress or a step back? Kelly didn’t really answer the question, but he made something of a case for the view that missing the playoffs is all that really counts, Phil Sheridan of ESPN.com reports.

“Right now, we’ve only got nine wins,” Kelly said Wednesday. “I mean, for us to think of questions like that, that doesn't help us beat Washington. So I don't really think about it. If we win 11 games and it's not good enough to get in, shame on us because we didn't win the right games. That’s the bottom line. That's what this whole deal is all about and we know it going in.”

“What we can do is control how we prepare for Washington and that's what we're going to do,” Kelly said. “They [the players] were great yesterday; they came in here ready to play. That's what I know about this group. They love playing football, they love training for it and they were fantastic yesterday and they’re going to be the same today.”

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Sounds like he wouldn't be trumpeting playing in the "NFC East Championship Game" three years in a row even though he lost.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I hope hope hope they lose to Washington. Would be poetic justice.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You guys fried me when I brought up Kellys name as a potential candidate as hc...he seems to be doing just fine

Reaction score
I was way wrong on him. Thought he was a gimmicky coach and would flop like Spurrier. But he's easily the best coach in the division.

Reaction score
Yep, he's doing just fine.

Back to back winning seasons, a division title, in his first two years. And doing so with a clusterfuck at QB - only the hardest position to fill in the NFL.

Guy is winning with Foles/Vick/Sanchez FFS.

Youll never give a division rival credit, but he's a hell of a coach.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Back to back winning seasons, a division title, in his first two years. And doing so with a clusterfuck at QB - only the hardest position to fill in the NFL.

I gave the Giants all sorts of credit in 2007. I think their 2011 team was a fluke more than anything else, but it was quite an accomplishment.

I don't think he sux, but I think he is vastly overrated, especially by media people and some of you bozos in here who have fawned all over him for years.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I was way wrong on him. Thought he was a gimmicky coach and would flop like Spurrier. But he's easily the best coach in the division.

No. You were right the first time. Three game losing streak right now.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

The Redskins won a division title with Robert 1.2.3. And he won with Foles early in the season because they faced a lot of bad teams early in the season.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Guess that takes care of the "shame on us if we miss the playoffs with 11 wins" talk

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score

Put away the anointing oil. Let's see if he learns anything or suffers from smartest man syndrome.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He probably learned not to get his starting QB hurt for half the year.

Year 1- He's a genius!!! Look at Nick Folk's season!!!

Year 2- They are gonna score 600 pts and win 14 or 15 games!!!!! Nick Folk is destined for greatness!

After 5 or 6 games "Nick Folk is off!!!!!"..."Nick Folk is really a scrub!!!!"

After Sanchez starts first couple of games and relieves in another "Now he's got his real QB!!!! Sanchez is reborn because of Kelly!!!!

After game 15 and 3 game losing streak "Uh, well they are only bad now because Folk got hurt!!!!"

Reaction score
Nick Foles did look legit.

The reality is he's really not that good.

And Kelly got the most out of Sanchez, but he also is what he is - mediocre.

So the fact that Chip Kelly can win with the likes of Foles and Sanchez is a testament to what a good coach he is.

Imagine if he had a top 5-10 QB like Romo on his team.

cockstrong

UDFA
Reaction score
I guess that'll always be the excuse for him for the fawners

Come on David. Name a team that has won the SB in the past without a real good QB. With the rules the way they are that protect the QB and the WR. The QB, that was the single most influential person on the field has become that much more important

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Year 1- He's a genius!!! Look at Nick Folk's season!!!

Year 2- They are gonna score 600 pts and win 14 or 15 games!!!!! Nick Folk is destined for greatness!

After 5 or 6 games "Nick Folk is off!!!!!"..."Nick Folk is really a scrub!!!!"

After Sanchez starts first couple of games and relieves in another "Now he's got his real QB!!!! Sanchez is reborn because of Kelly!!!!

After game 15 and 3 game losing streak "Uh, well they are only bad now because Folk got hurt!!!!"
Who ever said Foles (not our old kicker) was great? I sure didn't. It was obvious those numbers he put up last year weren't sustainable, or even close.

I don't even get what you're arguing. You don't think Foles and Sanchez are really top QBs, do you? If you don't, that's a credit to Kelly for winning games with them, not a negative.

Top Bottom