Reaction score
Cowboys VP: It's my family's fault Romo doesn't have a championship

by Mark Lane
FOX Sports Southwest

IRVING, Texas -- Fans and critics alike have hotly debated for years whose fault it is that quarterback Tony Romo is ringless at the age of 34 after eight quality seasons as a starter.

Finally, a member of the Cowboys front office, and the Jones family, takes the blame for Romo not leading Dallas to a Super Bowl win.

"You know, certainly that doesn't sit in Tony's lap," Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said on KRLD-FM 105.3 The Fan Wednesday morning.

"That sits in our lap: Jerry and our family's lap in terms of the organization. We have to, you know, do better at putting people around [Romo]."

Jones also went on to include the personnel department, the coaching staff, and Romo's teammates, past and present, in the litany of blame for Romo's lack of championships.

The response was precipitated when co-host Mike Bacsik asked Jones why Romo wasn't getting the national attention for playing with two transverse process fractures against the Jacksonville Jaguars that other league signal callers like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady would if they had done similarly.

"Well, I think the only thing missing is the ring, the championship," Jones said. "And I think that's ultimately going to come for Tony."

Jones speaks on behalf of the entire organization when he says he hopes Romo's ring comes sooner than later.

"At the end of the day, all these quarterbacks, more important than any other numbers, any of their accolades, any of their Pro Bowls, any All Pros, is to win championships," Jones said.

The Cowboys vice president assured Cowboys fans and Romo backers that the three-time Pro Bowler would be the first to agree with Stephen Jones' assessment.

Dallas has not sat at 7-3 after 10 games since 2009, the last time they won the division and a playoff game. Perhaps history will rhyme, and Romo will get a better chance to play for a championship.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You can half-way remedy this by just getting rid of Garrett.

I have the distinct feeling that if Stephen was running things, Garrett would have been gone.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Our best hope is Stephen squeezing Jerry out of the picture.

I know many think he's more of the same but the two (whole) people I know who worked for the Cowboys says Stephen is a lot different and way more focused on building a winner and less worried about the fame and merchandising/marketing stuff.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I totally agree with Steve being better. He might not be good, but at least I think he cares about football and not being the Barnum and Bailey of football. Plus he was born wealthy and I don't think is as consumed with the money aspect as his deddy.

Plus, if I read him right, he seems almost a little embarrassed about the lack of success on the football side. Jerry of course has no shame in any area.

Reaction score
Steven will be better.

But I think his siblings, specifically his sister, share his dad's ego and showmanship.

So hopefully her and Jerry die together. Soon.

Reaction score
The more Stephen takes over, the better off the franchise will be. He does give me some hope.

Now go get Dez signed and move on.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The upside for us with Stevie running things would be far greater than what we have had.

Would be interesting to see if he ran the FO exactly as daddy has or if he'd defer more to a real football person (whether it be a GM, or a coach in the Jimmy/Parcells/Belichick mold that ran everything)

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
They've talked about making the offense "more Romo friendly" for years. They could have gotten Tony a ring by like, I dunno - giving him a defense?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They've talked about making the offense "more Romo friendly" for years. They could have gotten Tony a ring by like, I dunno - giving him a defense?

The defense was pretty good from 2006-2009 and they poured a lot of resources (draft picks and free agent dollars) into defensive players from 2003-2008

Its not like the defense was ignored.

Reaction score
It does seem like the talent acquisition process in front office has been particularly good lately. Don"t know if it is dumb luck or better decision-making.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Watch Jerry Sr. sees that Stephen has the lack of glitz to keep the Cowboy brand going and leaves the team to Charlotte.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The defense was pretty good from 2006-2009 and they poured a lot of resources (draft picks and free agent dollars) into defensive players from 2003-2008

Its not like the defense was ignored.
Right, the 3-4 defense is "good" if you don't mind needing to score alot of points offensively.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Our best hope is Stephen squeezing Jerry out of the picture.

I know many think he's more of the same but the two (whole) people I know who worked for the Cowboys says Stephen is a lot different and way more focused on building a winner and less worried about the fame and merchandising/marketing stuff.

Gawd, I hope you're right, jerri has to be one of the most insecure people on the planet.

Did you know jerri actually negotiated with Bill Parcells before he hired him over how recognition would be allocated should they win a Super Bowl? Can you imagine hiring someone to do a job and telling them if they're successful, that you'll be taking credit for it? Its absurdly insecure and shallow, one of the many reasons I hate the man with a passion.

Here's the excerpt from the Book Parcells: A Football Life

wYd3LH1.jpg

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
See? It's stuff like this that makes me GLAD Dallas hasn't made it back to the big show, and makes me really deep down inside hope they DON'T until long after this fuck is DEAD.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
See? It's stuff like this that makes me GLAD Dallas hasn't made it back to the big show, and makes me really deep down inside hope they DON'T until long after this fuck is DEAD.

Exactly. The dude is absolutely mental. If it weren't for some of our players I'd want him to get curbstomped every single game.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That is unbelievable. Where did you find that?

They were talking about the book on the radio and mentioned this part of it, so I did a Google search and found the passage in Google Books

Figured you guys would appreciate it.

I'm not a Garrett hater but you guys will hate hearing him mic'd up on Inside The NFL this week, sorry I don't have a video clip of that

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys < NFL Videos

I watched it and now want to kill myself.

"Here we go boys, here we go. Be yourself" *clap clap clap clap*

"Attaboy. Attaboy." *clap clap clap* "Attaboy."

"Attababy." *clap clap clap clap clap* "Attababy*

He also let out a GD bomb when he almost killed himself with the cord trying to run down the sideline. Dork.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This is why I don't understand why people still defend Jerry.

Jimmy has told us.

Jerry has countless sound bites of telling the world what a calculated, selfish asshole he is.

Parcells is now saying Jerry negotiated how much credit he'll get.

He comes down on the sideline to talk to the head coach mid-game.

The guy is the worst. Worse than Steinbrenner, worse than Al Davis.

Top Bottom