Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Anyone else have hobbies they would like to talk about and maybe even share?

I do digital audio and carpentry/refinishing/re-purposing.

Digital Audio - I sell studio time at the flat rate of $20/hr for anyone who wants to get themselves a CD made of their band or whatever. Do remote digital recording for $40/hr. Very seldom get bookings though since I don't advertise it. Mostly I just mess around taking classics off vinyl and digitizing them for fun. I use Samplitude as the digital studio. I have been a audio reproduction dabbler since age 7.

Carpentry/refinishing/re-purposing

Like this:

vanity.jpg

Taking old throwaway stuff and giving it new life. Mostly I do this for my own home but have hired out in the past as well.

Both hobbies are very rewarding in different ways, and both tend to keep me off the streets, out of bars and out of trouble.

Reaction score
Yeah you can't be any geek off the street. Gotta be handy with the steel if you know what I mean, earn your keep.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I DJ. I spin drum & bass music straight from the UK. I have over $10,000 worth of vinyl. I don't play at clubs...I strictly do it for the enjoyment and making mix cd's for my friends.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I had hobbies when I was 12. Now I just do shit.

Before I had a 2yo, I'd golf 3 times a week, work in my shop building things to pass the time. Tables/chairs/cabinets, shit like that.

Now the only thing I really have time for is gambling because I can do it from my phone. Horse racing is my drug of choice.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I had hobbies when I was 12.
Me too. Making really old radios and stereo sets work again, fixing people's 8 track tape cartridges after they were 8-up, (cost you a dollar) and building plastic model kits. Had the 150 in 1 electronics project kit from Radio Shack too and would make all kinds of stuff with it.

Oh and building bicycles for friends. Back in that day the thing to have in my neighborhood was one of my custom bikes.

But even at 12 I was well into the audio work, had a Teac 4-track reel to reel already, and a Peavy mixer, both scrounged up from friends of my drunken "country star" older half-brother.. "Yeah kid you can have this mixer, it doesn't work anymore."

Everything I couldn't find discarded or could scrounge up, I bought by way of mowing lawns in the summer - with a mower I had assembled from discarded mower parts. That junk mower in later years wound up financing my first car too. $150 for a 1967 Ford Galaxie!

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I have over $10,000 worth of vinyl.
I wish I had bought the vinyl collection of one of my friend's dads... He was a radio jock and had boxes and boxes, a large self storage warehouse full. There's alot of money to be had buying and selling vinyl today.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
By the way when a 8-track tape cartridge was "eaten" by the player, and the tape itself was all accordion creased? I figured out how to fix this with a old style non-electric clothes iron! You couldn't use a electric iron for this - it would erase the tape!

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I do the usual redneck stuff liked hunting, fishing and raising gamecocks. We just like to see shit die.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I used to love hunting and fishing in my younger years and wish I kept up with it. Had a German Shorthair Pointer that was a great dog and I'd get a kick just watching the dog flush pheasants. Today, kids and older/ailing parents take up a majority of my free time. I'm pretty darn boring....

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Me and my rich friends like to influence political elections, invade small countries and hunt humans for sport

I also like antiquing and garage sales

Reaction score
It used to be w8lifting/bodybuilding. In 2002, I tore my right bicep muscle pushing my friends wifes car (with her in it while she was bitching at me) one handed. My muscle popped like a little balloon, so I had to give that hobby up.

Now its Deep Sea Fishing and riding my bike on the beach & coastal highway.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
It used to be w8lifting/bodybuilding. In 2002, I tore my right bicep muscle pushing my friends wifes car (with her in it while she was bitching at me) one handed. My muscle popped like a little balloon, so I had to give that hobby up.

Now its Deep Sea Fishing and riding my bike on the beach & coastal highway.

So it's safe to kick sand in your face at the beach now?

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
You don't plant burning crosses in folk's yards? Son, I am disappoint.

That would be a racist act and I am offended that you think I would be involved with something like that. I just got off the phone with one of many black friends that I have. He is coming fishing at my place in the morning.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Trolling threads with unrelated personal attack crap isn't a valid hobby, fellas.

Top Bottom