Reaction score
right now, who at DE is providing any sort of real pass rush threat....thanks
Mincey has been playing very well. Solid in run support and also getting pressures. Lawrence has to be able to bring all that and more for the move to be worth it. Agreed?

Thats not what the coaches were saying

What else are they going to say? "Jerry's desperate attempt to extract a pass-rusher from a draft where there wasn't one to be had is getting utterly pwned out there?"

Instead they kept it real, saying the kid was trying hard and nothing more. This coming from a front office that described Shante Carver as "tearing up the camp" back in in 1994.

Jerry's now saying Lawrence has people "frothing at the mouth"-- easy to say in practice when he hasn't had to go up against Tyron at game speed.

Huh? Everybody knew who this kid was. Some even said he might sneak into the first round. Not sure why you think he came out of nowhere.

1. He was a small blip on the radar two months before the draft. The only thing that changed between that point and the draft was the desperation of teams to add pass rushers

2. He was OK at Boise, who's not known for playing world-beaters on their schedule every week. If he's this beast supposedly with 1st round measurables, why didn't it show more in college?

The team could have had let two starters come to them instead of attempting to force one. Besides his serious lack of size for such a high pick, his broken foot is a red flag that he's not powerful enough to play on an NFL front.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
his broken foot is a red flag that he's not powerful enough to play on an NFL front.
That's not really fair. How many people do you think could have withstood a 300+ pounder stomping on their metatarsals and twisting, grinding their foot in, without breakage? It was a freak, fluke injury, not brittle bones.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Agree with ravi, I don't remember him doing anything against Smith.

In fact, the coaches said they started Lawrence against everyone but Smith so as not to crush his confidence. I don't think he'd even gone against Smith many reps at all before he got hurt.

None of this means he can't play. I'm sure his high motor will fit in well, and it's not like he has to do a lot to be better than Mincey.

Reaction score
Agree with ravi, I don't remember him doing anything against Smith.

In fact, the coaches said they started Lawrence against everyone but Smith so as not to crush his confidence. I don't think he'd even gone against Smith many reps at all before he got hurt.

None of this means he can't play. I'm sure his high motor will fit in well, and it's not like he has to do a lot to be better than Mincey.

I'm gonna have to lean more towards what dbair is saying on this one.
1st off no one (but Mack of the raiders) was doing anything against Smith during training camp. That doesn't mean you are a bust or not good.

2nd. I remember reading how he was doing better than expected (except for smith) & where most were thinking he was gonna just be a situational pass rusher, he was actually playing against the run well & was above the learning curve before injury. This made me happier since I didn't like spending so much in the draft for a situational pass rusher. if he is full time DE I will be happy with that.

3rd. Rod really wanted this guy, & I am learning he might just know what he is doing with what he wants & his personnel.

I was not a fan of the trade up to get him, but seems to me there might be more to this guy than a lot of us were expecting.
Now I don't think anyone should listen to Jerry & the froathing of the mouth quotes, but I think I will stick with trusting Rod.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
1. He was a small blip on the radar two months before the draft. The only thing that changed between that point and the draft was the desperation of teams to add pass rushers

FYI so was Ware.

And I thought the focus of every team was to collect talented pass-rushers? How can you hold that against DLaw?

Reaction score
FWIW - The Cowboys-paid beat reporters say that there is quite a buzz among the Cowboys players ... saying Lawrence is the real deal.

Reportedly this is the same way the players earlier reacted to R. McClain.

Top Bottom