Reaction score
Getting pressure on the quarterback is not enough, Dallas defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli needs his defensive linemen to get more sacks. The Cowboys have sacked opposing quarterbacks only six times this season. Twenty-nine teams have done that more than the Cowboys.

But help is on the way.

All signs point to rookie defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence making his debut on Nov. 2 against the Arizona Cardinals. Lawrence, who fractured his right foot in training camp, returned to practice last week.

Marinelli said the second round pick looked “quick and explosive.”

“Lawrence had everybody frothing at the mouth a little bit out there last week,” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Tuesday morning on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. “He has really improved his body during this time off. He’s used it to really have a lot of strength work. It’s something that he didn’t do as much [in college] as he’s doing now. He’s had quite a physical improvement.”

Defensive tackle Henry Melton currently leads the Cowboys with 1.5 sacks. It’s certainly possible that Lawrence could end up leading the team in that category despite missing half of the season.

Reaction score
It’s certainly possible that Lawrence could end up leading the team in that category despite missing half of the season.

Sure. And it is theoretically possible that Lawrence could end up breaking the single-season sack record in only half a season. I'm confident that he'll be at least as good as Reggie White.

Reaction score
I don't know what to expect from the guy.

We've had good luck with recent Boise State defenders, but they've usually taken a few years to show something.

Reaction score
Who was that Boise State DE I was hyping during the Crawford draft and did he pan out?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Who was that Boise State DE I was hyping during the Crawford draft and did he pan out?

No. Shea McClellin. Plays for the Bears and opposite of Jared Allen. Not doing that great especially for a 1st rounder.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I could see 4-6. He'll probably be rotating in on a lot of passing downs early.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Even if he doesn't collect alot of sacks himself, he might attract double teams which might allow others to collect sacks.

Reaction score
He's burning a roster spot on a team with good chemistry going right now, so he needs to come in and make plays

But he's an undersized rookie who got abused in TC and is coming off an injury. We'll be lucky if he makes any net positive effect at all.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He's burning a roster spot on a team with good chemistry going right now, so he needs to come in and make plays

He's not on the active roster right now.
But he's an undersized rookie who got abused in TC and is coming off an injury. We'll be lucky if he makes any net positive effect at all

He wasnt in TC very long, but I dont recall anyone saying he was abused...in fact it was rather the opposite, that he looked alot better overall and against the run than they expected, and thought he'd probably win the starting RDE job.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I remember that he was stronger and more physical than they expected, had some "dawg" in him, but he wasn't exactly tearing it up, either. He's not one of these tremendous athletes anyway.

Reaction score
He's not on the active roster right now.

My point was he will be, and that in of itself takes something away from the team that he has to make up for.

He wasnt in TC very long, but I dont recall anyone saying he was abused...in fact it was rather the opposite, that he looked alot better overall and against the run than they expected, and thought he'd probably win the starting RDE job.

Tyron repeatedly destroyed this kid. It was safe to say Lawrence gave Smith almost no real work based on every article I read, and Smith's rusty performance in the preseason confirmed that for me.

I was pissed that so many resources were being spent on an undersized kid who came out of nowhere in the days leading up to the draft, and when Smith finally broke him it confirmed my every fear.

Now I expect almost nothing from Lawrence, and certainly not this year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
My point was he will be, and that in of itself takes something away from the team that he has to make up for.

right now, who at DE is providing any sort of real pass rush threat....thanks

Tyron repeatedly destroyed this kid. It was safe to say Lawrence gave Smith almost no real work based on every article I read, and Smith's rusty performance in the preseason confirmed that for me.

Thats not what the coaches were saying

I was pissed that so many resources were being spent on an undersized kid who came out of nowhere in the days leading up to the draft, and when Smith finally broke him it confirmed my every fear.

Huh? Everybody knew who this kid was. Some even said he might sneak into the first round. Not sure why you think he came out of nowhere.

Now I expect almost nothing from Lawrence, and certainly not this year.

OK

Top Bottom