Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Hard not to.... We love the Cowboys. But we gotta remember 2007. We gotta remember this is a Red Ball coached team. We gotta remember there are big holes in this team not the least of which is special teams. We gotta remember this is only October and there's still nine games left. We gotta know that playing us is the Super Bowl now, for every team we play.

Resist the urge to Homer out!

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Cautious optimism.

People at work keep saying stuff like "why aren't you more excited" or "why aren't you talking mess about your Boys?"

I tell them too many years of Jerry Jones. Deep down I'm outright giddy but I'm scared this team will find a way to let me down.

Reaction score
Okay...so here is the odd irony here. Many of us are genuine fans of the Dallas Cowboy players and argue that the talent and opportunity over the last three years for Dallas has been sufficient enough to have won the Division, entered the playoffs, and with the right coaching perhaps even gone to the Super Bowl.

With the right coaching.

Now I would think that such thinking is right out of CZ homerism. But strangely, it is very easy to get a lot of flack from the folks at CZ (including the fuzzy lurkers here as well) for essentially being a fan of the players over a fan of the organization or the apparently infallibility of the designated head coach. I still maintain that although the lack of speed at WR does not work for this scheme, but the stature and YAC ability of the current WRs would make a great WCO.

Look...Eli the slow, who had a cast of WRs who are really less experienced and less talented than the Dallas WRs with a less talented O-line, and less of a running game for support was able to go through a whole game without being sacked and barely pressured. He got his passes off fairly quickly and used high percentage throws to preserve his team in light of his disabled team. How does one explain that Dallas has better WRs, better O-line, better run support and control of the game and clock and somehow was pressured more than Eli, sacked twice, and intercepted once? How does Murray run for 5 yards on the first play of the game and then under play action, get Romo sacked because no one was open? Then at third and 9 in 5 wide, Romo is still running around waiting for someone to get open and eventually gets to Dez just short of the first? How do you have Witten, Escobar, Murray, Dez etc and not have someone open immediately on every passing play?

The team is talented and has been talented but for a lack of competent design by Jason. Fan of the players on the team. Why would that not rank higher in homerism than CZ? It seems to me to be a more actual fan than just rooting for the star or Jerry or merely routinely root against the Dallas opponents.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I guess you can call it homering out. It's been a long time since I've seen an offense this good. Denver is really good, but if you can get to Manning, you can slow them down.

I'll take the balance of this offense over anything else going right now.

It just so happens that you have a defense that is playing well to couple with this offense. I don't see another NFC team that can beat Dallas at the moment. Detroit is the closest probably, and I wouldn't sweat them.

Unless they lose to a shitty team along the way, like Washington or the Jags, I see this team losing 3 games tops.

Reaction score
I am trying but i keep having the thought “maybe this is the year”. Id like love to see Romo win a Super Bowl. The Americas Game would be fun to see. We deserve it as a fan base. Been through alot.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I am trying but i keep having the thought “maybe this is the year”. Id like love to see Romo win a Super Bowl. The Americas Game would be fun to see. We deserve it as a fan base. Been through alot.

Only thing missing is the pass rush. If that gets going anytime soon, look the fuck out. Dallas will be the last team sanding in the NFC. I think the best possible outcome would be they play San Diego or Baltimore. Playing Denver without a pass rush is asking to be murdered.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
A WR that can stretch the field, if they had that, the offense would be epic.

Reaction score

Romo winning a Super Bowl would be incredible.

I'd love it. He catches too much flack and he's carried this team way too long.

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
We all had low expectations for this team. If we make the playoffs it should be viewed as a success.

Reaction score
Romo winning a Super Bowl would be incredible.

I'd love it. He catches too much flack and he's carried this team way too long.

I could not agree more.

To the OP's point --- IMO it isn't homering out to be optimistic about your team when it is doing well. Such optimism is realistic under today's circumstances.

If it were in my power to do so, I'd grant all Cowboy fans permission to fully enjoy this team's current success. The past few dozen seasons have been genuinely tough for diehard fans to endure. I'd been a fan for 45 years and they lost me a year or two ago ... the incompetence of the front office and the painful losses (many self-inflicted) were too negative. It wasn't a good way to spend my free time.

Fuck the small minded "I told you so's" who want to give you a hard time for being pissed off at the alarming missteps and miscalculations by the franchise in the past. Screw 'em. Don't let them or the realities of the past prevent you from fully enjoying what might turn out to be a very nice season.

(I'm going to feel foolish if these bastards lose to Washington)

Reaction score
We all had low expectations for this team. If we make the playoffs it should be viewed as a success.

Disagree.

Teams with franchise QBs don't go four years without making the playoffs unless they are severely handicapped by poor coaching. Which we have been since basically Parcells second season here.

Now that Garret has been neutered to basically a clapping mannequin, making the playoffs is expected.

I'd count this season as a success with a division title and at least one playoff win.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
IMO it isn't homering out to be optimistic about your team when it is doing well. Such optimism is realistic under today's circumstances.
"Homering out" to me is going blindly forward, feeling entitled to a Lombardi Trophy, and completely ignoring the glaring weaknesses of the team. There's a difference between cautious optimism and outright cheerleaderism.
If it were in my power to do so, I'd grant all Cowboy fans permission to fully enjoy this team's current success.
I'm pretty sure everyone is. I know I am. But then again, we enjoyed 13-3 in 2007 did we not?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
My prediction was about 9-7, 8-8, 7-9 depending on how injuries and the schedule broke.

I've always said the same thing: There's no point in ranking teams 1-32, as if the 23rd team is really better than the 24th team or the 12th team is better than the 13th. There's too much luck and year-to-year variability to do that.

Put them in tiers instead. I thought we were below the very top tier, which would be teams like Seattle, Denver, Green Bay, New England, teams like that. But we definitely had enough talent -- again, especially at QB -- that if things broke right we could be a solid playoff team. Especially because our division kinda sucks.

Again, we should have been a 10-win team last year except for our Head Coach throwing up all over himself and turning two almost guaranteed wins into losses.

But no, I never bought into us being a 5-11 team except and unless Tony's back went out, which of course it hasn't.

Bottom line, it's a joke to say that now we should be happy with making the playoffs, unless you're one of those fans who is just happy to watch his team take the field on Sundays and likes to remind us that winning and losing really isn't that big a deal.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
We've already won as many games as I thought we would all season. So yes, I'm homering out.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I thought they'd be in that 7-9/8-8 range

Didn't think they'd beat NO or Seattle but they both seem to have problems this year.

The NFC East sucks though so you had to figure they'd be in the hunt to win the division

Now that Garrett has been neutered offensively, they're winning the games they should.

Imagine if they'd won a few of these close ones the last few years.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
That's the thing about the DCU.. We had a thread before the season started where I predicted 10-6. A couple guys tried clowning me because it went against how negative everyone was. Guys tried arguing with me when I said this D can't be worse than last year. It hasn't been. In fact it's been better. Not great. Not good. But better. The thing is everyone on here is super negative and emotional all the time but then when we start winning everyone gets super positive. Wait til we lose one. It'll go back. Me, I'll stay consistent. We weren't gonna be as bad as everyone thought we'd be, and now we're not as good as everyone thinks we are.

Top Bottom