Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Open the checkbook and re-sign:

Murray
Bryant
Redball

And anyone else on this team who needs re-upped.

The Giants tried to play us physically, and got beat up by the scrappy Cowboys. Romo made great plays, Bryant was off the charts and Murray is a all-time NFL RB now.

Sign 'em all.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm wondering how tempted they are gonna be to look for DL/pass rush help before the trade deadline.

Its the one thing that is a clear weakness (along with no true ballhawk FS) this team has.

Maybe Demarcus Lawrence has an impact, but I really wonder now at 6-1 if they look at themselves and say "we are a pass rush away from a dominant team"

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm wondering how tempted they are gonna be to look for DL/pass rush help before the trade deadline.

Its the one thing that is a clear weakness (along with no true ballhawk FS) this team has.

Maybe Demarcus Lawrence has an impact, but I really wonder now at 6-1 if they look at themselves and say "we are a pass rush away from a dominant team"
I believe they definitely should look for some help here.

I'm calling for Jerruh to get these contract signings done during the frikkin bye week coming up. Don't wait for the results.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I would rather see them draft Gurley or one of the other top RBs than see Murray get a big contract. I think a great RB is a must-have in this offense, but drafting a top RB would be less of a gamble and less of a cap hit. Believe it or not, drafting Gurley may increase production at the position. IMO, Murray leaves alotta yards on the field.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I would rather see them draft Gurley or one of the other top RBs than see Murray get a big contract. I think a great RB is a must-have in this offense, but drafting a top RB would be less of a gamble and less of a cap hit. Believe it or not, drafting Gurley may increase production at the position. IMO, Murray leaves alotta yards on the field.
Then again, the drafted RB could be a bust. It happens alot. Murray is a known product.

Re-sign Murray to a short extension with a nice signing bonus, and STILL pick up another RB in the draft.

One other thing we need is some world class SPEED at wideout or slot.

But mainly, I think this next offseason and draft should be mostly about help for this scrappy defense.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I love Gurley and think he's going to be a bigtime player, but there's no guarantee we'd have any shot at him and then you are "hoping" you find someone else, or maybe hoping that Randle could handle the job FT.

I'd lean towards trying to keep Murray if they don't have to break the bank to keep him. He's just too good all around and he's a great kid too. Plus if you keep him, you don't have to replace him and can use those resources elsewhere (pass rush, FS)

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dez is a must sign.

Murray has to be reasonable.

McClain should be extended soon, gets more and more expensive every day. We get a discount now since we took a chance on him.

I'd sign some backup guys like Sterling Moore and Dwayne Harris, as long as it's reasonable, to show the team hard work and determination is appreciated and rewarded here.

Carter maybe if he plays well when he gets back.

Garrett can wait til the off-season. No rush on him, he isn't going anywhere.

Stephen Jones is supposed to be a guru at signing all of these guys and working the cap. Time to put up or shut up.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dez is a must sign.

Murray has to be reasonable.

McClain should be extended soon, gets more and more expensive every day. We get a discount now since we took a chance on him.

I'd sign some backup guys like Sterling Moore and Dwayne Harris, as long as it's reasonable, to show the team hard work and determination is appreciated and rewarded here.

Carter maybe if he plays well when he gets back.

Garrett can wait til the off-season. No rush on him, he isn't going anywhere.

Stephen Jones is supposed to be a guru at signing all of these guys and working the cap. Time to put up or shut up.

I think we're going to lose some guys, but I think they will for sure find a way to keep Dez and McClain.

Murray I think will end up staying simply because the rest of the league has pretty much the same philosophy on not overpaying for RB's anymore. I think he likes it here and likes the way the offense is run now, and we have a great OL that looks to be top notch for the foreseeable future.

Reaction score

Suh.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Then again, the drafted RB could be a bust. It happens alot. Murray is a known product.

Re-sign Murray to a short extension with a nice signing bonus, and STILL pick up another RB in the draft.

One other thing we need is some world class SPEED at wideout or slot.

But mainly, I think this next offseason and draft should be mostly about help for this scrappy defense.
The problem with Murray is just what you said, they know him. They know that he is getting a ton of wear and tear on him this year. Resigning him would not he a bad deal if it was short term. There us no way that Murray will sign a short contract. This is his payday. Murray and his agent knows that after a couple if years, nobody would want to sign an older RB with a great deal of wear and tear. Murray will want several years on his deal and he will want top money. This is his one and only realistic chance for a long term deal for big money. A rookie could be a bust, but Murray will be wore out. I say draft a RB and avoid another Badber contract.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think we're going to lose some guys, but I think they will for sure find a way to keep Dez and McClain.

Murray I think will end up staying simply because the rest of the league has pretty much the same philosophy on not overpaying for RB's anymore. I think he likes it here and likes the way the offense is run now, and we have a great OL that looks to be top notch for the foreseeable future.

I could see a team like Buffalo or even the Giants making a big offer to Murray.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Resigning him would not he a bad deal if it was short term.
That's the only way I would do it, I would load up the front end of it with a very attractive signing bonus and guaranteed money, but short term. Otherwise let him shop himself around.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I love Gurley and think he's going to be a bigtime player, but there's no guarantee we'd have any shot at him and then you are "hoping" you find someone else, or maybe hoping that Randle could handle the job FT.

I'd lean towards trying to keep Murray if they don't have to break the bank to keep him. He's just too good all around and he's a great kid too. Plus if you keep him, you don't have to replace him and can use those resources elsewhere (pass rush, FS)

I use Gurley as an example, but there are several Arabs coming out that will do just fine behind this line. I have serious doubts about Murray having another year like this and resigning him will be paying for this one year of production because that is what Murray will use to show his worth. If you pay Murray, resources will be used on his salary cap hit that could go to other areas. There is no way that I would resign Murray when a 2nd round pick will cost much less and be productive longer . I know everybody wants an all defensive draft, but Jerry has never drafted for one side of the ball and I don't expect him to start now.

Reaction score

Yeah, I'm with you.

And there are a couple of other guys besides Gurley who'd likely be o.k.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
That's the only way I would do it, I would load up the front end of it with a very attractive signing bonus and guaranteed money, but short term. Otherwise let him shop himself around.

Yeah, I don't think he will ever produce like this again. In two years, he will be an average RB on the decline from wear and tear. Considering his injury history, he may not make it to the end of this season. History is not on his side.

Reaction score
keep in mind that next year we will have to decide on if they are keeping Melton who's price tag jumps hugely. While signing all these guys. Still think DL should be the heaviest thoughts come draft day.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Tyrone Crawford is making the Melton decision tougher. Also, that $9M salary for Melton could sign 3 very good starters or 2 elite ones. At the same time, Melton has played well.

Top Bottom