Reaction score
Don't tell me this is Linehan, this has been going on for years.

It's 3rd down and 2 with 2:17 left. One more first down clinches the game. Any amount clock eating is gold, need to give the Rams as little chance as possible. Having a runningback in the backfield freezes the defense. A sack or interception or incompletion is bad because the clock stops.

Play-call?: 5 wide.

Somewhere along the way Jason thinks this is a dangerous threat to the defenses. This year so far, the obvious pass play has been sacks and interceptions. Teams are salivating when Dallas goes 5 wide as it is. Dallas is slow at WR and teams can get to Romo much faster than the WRs can get open.

5 wide when you need to devour the clock and since you are going to punt anyway, don't give up yards but still take up time.

5 wide.

Just stupid.

Who would have thought that the weak point of this offense is the passing game. If not for the defense today???

5 wide.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't have a problem with that...my problem was apparently the #1 read on the play was Dunbar

with the game on the line, I'd rather them use the other guys as the goto people before Dunbar

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You run the ball there. Garrett has proven over and over he can not manage a game. It's not like he's running a Chip Kelly must run 100 offensive plays game plan. Just man up, run the ball, and stop trying to be cute.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You run the ball there. Garrett has proven over and over he can not manage a game. It's not like he's running a Chip Kelly must run 100 offensive plays game plan. Just man up, run the ball, and stop trying to be cute.

you mean like they did earlier in the half when Murray got stuffed in the backfield and they had to settle for the FG

in that situation you get the first down by any means necessary

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
was that play at the end of the game?

Also, mentioned elsewhere, Parnell completely whiffed on that play. Right call, poor execution.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
was that play at the end of the game?

Also, mentioned elsewhere, Parnell completely whiffed on that play. Right call, poor execution.

I don't know that they thought Parnell was supposed to block him. They pulled Tyron Smith and after the play Romo was actually getting on him about something. There was no way the LT was gonna pull all the way across and get to a blitzing OLB on that call. Just a poorly designed play for short yardage.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Parnell was in as a blocking tight end on the right side.

Maybe we are talking about different plays?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Parnell was in as a blocking tight end on the right side.

Maybe we are talking about different plays?

I assume we're both talking about the 3rd and 1 play down on the Rams end where Murray got stuffed.

I never saw Parnell, but on the replay I saw Tyron Smith trying to come across the LOS to block someone and saw Romo kinda jawing at him right after the play finished. I don't see any way possible Smith could have got from LT to outside the RT and block a blitzing LB.

I still don't think the pass play at the end of the game was the wrong call. The Rams stuffed a lot of running plays for no gains or losses, we badly needed a first down there. I just question why you'd take Murray out, go to a 5 WR look with Dunbar out there and make him the primary target with the game on the line. They overthought that one bad.

Reaction score
I assume we're both talking about the 3rd and 1 play down on the Rams end where Murray got stuffed.

I never saw Parnell, but on the replay I saw Tyron Smith trying to come across the LOS to block someone and saw Romo kinda jawing at him right after the play finished. I don't see any way possible Smith could have got from LT to outside the RT and block a blitzing LB.

I still don't think the pass play at the end of the game was the wrong call. The Rams stuffed a lot of running plays for no gains or losses, we badly needed a first down there. I just question why you'd take Murray out, go to a 5 WR look with Dunbar out there and make him the primary target with the game on the line. They overthought that one bad.

Except when the point is to limit errors and eat the clock. Even if he is stuffed, the clock runs and they punt. Aside from a fumble, that is the worst case scenario. An incompletion stops the clock, but even worse, teams know the Dallas pass tendencies (did you watch the Jenkins interception? He did not even have to look at Romo, he just saw Dez plant and knew where to intercept), and can push Dallas back with a sack (increasing field position for Rams for punt). I would say that if Garrett were intent on passing on 3rd and 2, then at least put Murray in the backfield to create some mystery, blocking or options. 5 wide leaves no options, no mystery and gives the defense a great chance to force Dallas errors.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Except when the point is to limit errors and eat the clock. Even if he is stuffed, the clock runs and they punt. Aside from a fumble, that is the worst case scenario. An incompletion stops the clock, but even worse, teams know the Dallas pass tendencies (did you watch the Jenkins interception? He did not even have to look at Romo, he just saw Dez plant and knew where to intercept), and can push Dallas back with a sack (increasing field position for Rams for punt). I would say that if Garrett were intent on passing on 3rd and 2, then at least put Murray in the backfield to create some mystery, blocking or options. 5 wide leaves no options, no mystery and gives the defense a great chance to force Dallas errors.

The clock was going to stop at the 2 min warning anyway. They (Rams) gained a handful of seconds with the incomplete pass.

Other than the interception, the Rams didn't really cover anybody all day. Romo was 18/23 overall and one of those incompletions should have been a 60-70 yd TD to Williams. I don't see a problem with trying to do everything you can to get the first down and end the game.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's 3rd down and 2 with 2:17 left. One more first down clinches the game. Any amount clock eating is gold, need to give the Rams as little chance as possible. Having a runningback in the backfield freezes the defense. A sack or interception or incompletion is bad because the clock stops.

Play-call?: 5 wide.
I hated that too, but if you are going to do that the call is a QB draw, not a pass of any kind. Need 2 yards, get 2 yards. It's just, two yards and the game is over.

The incompletion gave the opponent 11 seconds they wouldn't have had.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
11 seconds vs this defense doesn't make any difference. 2 mins, 2 mins 11 seconds...doesn't matter
Had he not thrown the ball that 11 seconds is gone, and the time taken by the ensuing punt, gone.

Had he made a first down on a QB draw play, the Rams never get the ball back. It's called finishing the game, which Carrot Top's idiot pass call from full spread, didn't do.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The Rams made a questionable decision before half, and one in the second half by passing on a FG.

Dallas actually came out on top in the coaching department today, if that counts for anything.

Top Bottom