bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Who saw the game playing out like that? After falling behind 21-0, the Dallas Cowboys impressively rallied in the second half and improved to 2-1 on the season.
Related

Here are my thoughts on Sunday’s 34-31 victory in St. Louis.

1.) The Cowboys needed Tony Romo to be more than a complementary player in the second half and Romo delivered. He shook off a first-half interception and looked more like his old self. He completed 18 of 23 passes for 217 yards and two touchdowns, having his best game since his December back surgery. Heck, he even showed a little of his old mobility by shaking Rams linebacker Alec Ogletree on a third-and-long conversion with his feet. During the pregame show on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM], Cowboys chief operating officer Stephen Jones said Romo told him this morning that “this is the best he’s felt so far.” Perhaps taking Wednesday off is the recipe for Romo’s future success.

“I feel good,” Romo said after the game on FOX. “I moved better today than I have the previous couple games. I was excited about that. Some of the stuff we’re doing has been helping. Hopefully it just keeps progressing and I’ll get better and better as the season goes on.”

2.) The Dallas defense really struggled without Rolando McClain early, making inexperienced quarterback Austin Davis look like an All-Pro veteran. But Rod Marinelli’s group deserves credit for the way they fought back. Henry Melton recovered a fumble, Bruce Carter had a big interception return for a touchdown, rookie Anthony Hitchens led the team in tackles with 13 and Morris Claiborne picked-off a pass to secure the victory.

The defensive backfield was considered the strength of the unit entering the season, but right now they’re the biggest concern. They’re just leaving too much breathing room for receivers and tight ends. Not a good sign with Drew Brees coming to town next Sunday night.

3.) Game balls for the entire offensive line. DeMarco Murray didn’t have another career day on the ground, but the Cowboys did manage 123 yards on 29 carries. More importantly, they kept Romo clean in the pocket. Going against an impressive group of St. Louis defensive linemen, Romo was never sacked and rarely ever touched on the day.

4.) I thought the play of the game came early in the third quarter when Dez Bryant used an outstanding double move to burn St. Louis cornerback Janoris Jenkins. Romo was given time to find Bryant and he hit him down the middle of the field for a 68-yard score. Bryant should never be as wide open as he was on that play. The touchdown made the score 21-17 and completely swung momentum in Dallas’ favor.

5.) Jason Witten was more involved in the passing game and I expect that to continue going forward. Witten caught four passes for 49 yards to go along with some solid blocking up front. He only had six catches for 46 yards in the previous two games. The focus on the running game will obviously limit Witten’s production, but I can’t see the Cowboys’ offense reaching its full potential without Witten being a big part of the passing game.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
If Dallas would have started out with a 21-0 lead, there is no doubt in my mind that they would have lost the game.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Hopefully McClain feels like practicing this week.

He apparently felt good yesterday and was looking to play.

Let's see. Guy with a history of a lack of commitment has week long muscle injury that magically feels better the day before the game. Yeah, that's definitely not a red flag of any kind.

I honestly don't think he likes to, or cares to, practice. I'd bet he's going to be dinged up all year with a couple of ailments.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
If he doesn't get injured again, I think you'll see Romo's mobility get better and better as the year goes on.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
McClain, meh, I'm not expecting him to make it to tomorrow, let alone the rest of the year.

He's got some talent, but his head is fucked.

Top Bottom