NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Ryan Mallett is on the move.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport broke the news Sunday that the New England Patriots have traded Mallett to the Houston Texans, according to a source. The Patriots received a conditional 2016 seventh-round pick, per Rapoport.

The Dallas Cowboys were also in talks with the Patriots for Mallett, according to Rapoport. The Texans made room for Mallett by releasing Case Keenum, who started eight games (all losses) for the Texans last season.

The Patriots have been actively trying to move Mallett, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract. The former third-round pick has seen little action behind Tom Brady, attempting just four passes since 2011.

The Patriots hoped to use the preseason as a showcase for Mallett, even starting him in the team's first preseason game. Mallett struggled, however, potentially hurting his trade value. He played just one series in New England's preseason finale, another sign the team still had Mallett on the market.

Now he'll attempt to get on the field with the Texans, who are coached by former Pats offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien.

It's a much better situation for Mallett, who no longer has to look up to a living legend on the depth chart. Ryan Fitzpatrick will open the season as Houston's starter, with rookie Tom Savage also in the mix.

Don't be surprised if Mallett eventually sees game action for a Texans team searching for a passer they can trust.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Doesn't bode well for Weeden that we tried to get Mallett.

I would have liked the trade though,

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I would have give at least a 5th for Mallet. Weeden sucks and Mallet has looked good at times. Mallet showed something or he would have been replaced by the Pats a couple years ago.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Mallet showed something or he would have been replaced by the Pats a couple years ago.
Their draft pick this year, can't immediately think of his name - blew mallet away and likely replaces Brady in a couple of years.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Their draft pick this year, can't immediately think of his name - blew mallet away and likely replaces Brady in a couple of years.

There plan was to not resign Mallet from the get go. If I was Mallet, I would have rather been cut and went to the team that I wanted. It wasn't but a couple of weeks ago that Mallet was tearing it up at camp and IIRC, Mayock said he looked better many starters in the league. He may flop, but he is better than Weeden.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
There plan was to not resign Mallet from the get go. If I was Mallet, I would have rather been cut and went to the team that I wanted. It wasn't but a couple of weeks ago that Mallet was tearing it up at camp and IIRC, Mayock said he looked better many starters in the league. He may flop, but he is better than Weeden.
I don't disagree with any of that but the performance of their draftee certainly helped with their decision to trade Mallett.

Reaction score

Yeah I was gonna say, Brady can't have but maybe one or two years left in him. If the Pats really liked Mallet, they would've kept him.

Still, glad we tried to land the kid.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Jimmy Garoppolo? From Eastern Illinois, same school as Romo. 2nd round pick.

Reaction score
It would be wasted effort and time. You draft a guy in the 1st or 2nd and be done with it and find a veteran castoff as a backup.

Reaction score
this is why you keep drafting QBs in the draft like the OMGSOFANTASTICPatriots, so you can pick them in the third, do absolutely nothing with them and then flip them for a conditional 7th rounder three years later. #ronwolfe #armchairdrafters

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
No, you don't draft QBs to develop because doing so really sets a team back years.

If you wait until your franchise QB retires, you won't have to cycle through 9 or 10 different QBs to find your next one.

Proven fact.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
this is why you keep drafting QBs in the draft like the OMGSOFANTASTICPatriots, so you can pick them in the third, do absolutely nothing with them and then flip them for a conditional 7th rounder three years later.
That's a hell of alot better than Dallas ever did with or got for, McGee.

Reaction score
a conditional 7th is not a hell of a lot better than anything.

it's the lowest form of compensation in the NFL

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
a conditional 7th is not a hell of a lot better than anything.

it's the lowest form of compensation in the NFL
Versus.... NO compensation. Which is what Dallas got after three years wasted on 4th round pick McGee.

Which means....

That's a hell of alot better than Dallas ever did with or got for, McGee.

Reaction score
it's nothing

a penny is a hell of alot more than nothing i guess

it is literally the least amount of compensation you can get for a player

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
so ... the Pats miss sometimes whereas we miss all the time. we already knew that.

Top Bottom