Reaction score
http://sturminator.blogspot.com/2014/08/how-bad-is-cowboys-defense.html

Sturm goes through 15 different defensive stats that show just how bad this defense is.

Still working my way through the piece, but look at how bad this defense is on the blitz.

Statistic'13 Dallas-RankNFL AvgPO Avg'12 Dallas
Opp QB Rate96.0 - 26th86.081.994.7 - 29th
Opp QB Rate - Blitz117.4 - 32nd85.785.4106.5 - 29th
20 Yd Passes Allowed71 - 32nd515152 - 20th
Yards After Catch2368 - 30th194318901926 - 25th
Net Pass Yds/Game286.8 - 30th235.6231.6203.3 - 19th

Looks like in 14 of the 15 stats he looked at, we were bottom 5 of the league and regressed from 2012. Those blitz ratings against are ridiculous. We're significantly worse against the blitz than we are playing straight coverage, and we weren't close to the next worst team.

Reaction score
http://sturminator.blogspot.com/2014/08/how-bad-is-cowboys-defense.html

Sturm goes through 15 different defensive stats that show just how bad this defense is.

Still working my way through the piece, but look at how bad this defense is on the blitz.

Statistic'13 Dallas-RankNFL AvgPO Avg'12 Dallas
Opp QB Rate96.0 - 26th86.081.994.7 - 29th
Opp QB Rate - Blitz117.4 - 32nd85.785.4106.5 - 29th
20 Yd Passes Allowed71 - 32nd515152 - 20th
Yards After Catch2368 - 30th194318901926 - 25th
Net Pass Yds/Game286.8 - 30th235.6231.6203.3 - 19th

Looks like in 14 of the 15 stats he looked at, we were bottom 5 of the league and regressed from 2012. Those blitz ratings against are ridiculous. We're significantly worse against the blitz than we are playing straight coverage, and we weren't close to the next worst team.

Okay so if you are the head coach and you there is significant weakness to your defense, why would you play hurry up ball and keep giving the opposing offense time and reps while your incompletions and rapid series fail to secure the time of possession, rest for your defense, and methodical control over field position?

Also, if you know that your team gives up the long ball very frequently and that during blitzes the team is vulnerable, doesn't that pretty much scream that the safety positions are without the physical ability and skill to play in the defense?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Okay so if you are the head coach and you there is significant weakness to your defense, why would you play hurry up ball and keep giving the opposing offense time and reps while your incompletions and rapid series fail to secure the time of possession, rest for your defense, and methodical control over field position?

Also, if you know that your team gives up the long ball very frequently and that during blitzes the team is vulnerable, doesn't that pretty much scream that the safety positions are without the physical ability and skill to play in the defense?
So the answer to all this is, use the first pick in the draft for another.... Guard.

CaliCowboy

Cheerleader
Reaction score

The Element of surprise theory that brilliant strategist employ

6a00d8345200e269e2017d43050c47970c-800wi.jpg

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score

Simple answer: Garrett is fucking clueless and I truly believe either one of us could do a better job. I almost hope we start off 0-5. I hate Garrett as much as Jerry (almost).

Reaction score
Don't care. My engine is revving.

Davon Coleman reminds me of LaRoi Glover.

This marks my seventh or so straight season predicting an 11-5 record. Willing to place a bust in the chops wager.

How 'bout them Cowboys!

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
There is no doubt that the talent is very limited on defense. I can understand that, but I don't understand why so many players are being moved around in a daily basis to the point that it is impossible for them to get comfortable with one position and learn to play the position well. I am not a fan of this type of 4-3 scheme or the overrated DC that is running it. They can say what they want, but this sure as hell is not the same scheme that the Seahawks are running. I would rather have seen Zimmer hired as HC and run his 4-3 scheme or see them hire an asst coach from the Seahawks. I guess Zimmer can be counted as another coach that Jerry missed out on due to Jason. I would be happy if they hired Wade as DC and returned to the 3-4.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
There is no doubt that the talent is very limited on defense. I can understand that, but I don't understand why so many players are being moved around in a daily basis to the point that it is impossible for them to get comfortable with one position and learn to play the position well. I am not a fan of this type of 4-3 scheme or the overrated DC that is running it. They can say what they want, but this sure as hell is not the same scheme that the Seahawks are running. I would rather have seen Zimmer hired as HC and run his 4-3 scheme or see them hire an asst coach from the Seahawks. I guess Zimmer can be counted as another coach that Jerry missed out on due to Jason. I would be happy if they hired Wade as DC and returned to the 3-4.

Then we arnt missing out on shit

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Then we arnt missing out on shit

Compared to Garrett, Simmer would be much better. I think the Viking will improve in a shirt time. Can you say the same for the Cowboys? They are in the 4th year of a three year plan with no improvement.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Actually no matter the scheme, when the talent is poor the defense is going to be poor. The 4-3 is much more simple for the players than any version of the 3-4 out there. Plus, when you think of the truly dominant defenses in history, none of them were 3-4 defenses.

The entire purpose of the 4-3 (As invented by Tom Landry) is to allow the opposing offense to waste time, helping us kill the clock. Ideally, you would give up at least a couple of first downs each series, getting the opponent offense to use up 2-4 minutes of clock time each time. Then once inside our 30, we tighten up and hold them to a FG if at all possible.

One only needs to look at the truly dominant defenses under Jimmy Johnson to see how this works - opponents used alot of clock time and got some yards and first downs, but had trouble posting any score over 17.

You would MUCH rather have the 4-3 especially if your talent level is suspect. Players don't have a 1,200 page playbook to worry about, don't have to think much before acting, and theoretically are more free to fly to the ball.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Actually no matter the scheme, when the talent is poor the defense is going to be poor. The 4-3 is much more simple for the players than any version of the 3-4 out there. Plus, when you think of the truly dominant defenses in history, none of them were 3-4 defenses.

The entire purpose of the 4-3 (As invented by Tom Landry) is to allow the opposing offense to waste time, helping us kill the clock. Ideally, you would give up at least a couple of first downs each series, getting the opponent offense to use up 2-4 minutes of clock time each time. Then once inside our 30, we tighten up and hold them to a FG if at all possible.

One only needs to look at the truly dominant defenses under Jimmy Johnson to see how this works - opponents used alot of clock time and got some yards and first downs, but had trouble posting any score over 17.

You would MUCH rather have the 4-3 especially if your talent level is suspect. Players don't have a 1,200 page playbook to worry about, don't have to think much before acting, and theoretically are more free to fly to the ball.

I have never cared for the 3-4, but I hate the current 4-3 scheme. I would rather see the same 4-3 that the Cowboys ran in the 90's more than the Tampa 2.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I have never cared for the 3-4, but I hate the current 4-3 scheme. I would rather see the same 4-3 that the Cowboys ran in the 90's more than the Tampa 2.
The "tampa 2" like the 3-4, is a gadget. Jimmy's scheme was simple - upfield pressure from the DL, fast and active linebackers with minimal assignment duties, and a secondary that flies to the ball. Nothing fancy, nothing complicated. Just play.

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys defense will give up the most points scored in an NFL game. I dont know what the record is...like 70 something? I am sure there are some other cool records they can break this season.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think the Cowboys defense will give up the most points scored in an NFL game. I dont know what the record is...like 70 something? I am sure there are some other cool records they can break this season.
Oddly I'm still in the schoolhouse that believes if they avoid the plague of injuries they had last year, they can be alot better than last year. Add to that, IF the offense really does commit to the run more than we've seen, and improves the dismal 3rd down conversion percentage, can be even better. Add that to having a good turnover margin which was the ONLY good category last year, and we all might be quite pleasantly surprised.

Lots of "ifs" in that though.

Reaction score
Oddly I'm still in the schoolhouse that believes if they avoid the plague of injuries they had last year, they can be alot better than last year. Add to that, IF the offense really does commit to the run more than we've seen, and improves the dismal 3rd down conversion percentage, can be even better. Add that to having a good turnover margin which was the ONLY good category last year, and we all might be quite pleasantly surprised.

Lots of "ifs" in that though.

Maybe in the first couple of games but there is no depth on this defense. Injuries are going to happen, cant avoid all of them. I hate the scheme. I think there is no creativity and good QBs can beat it to shit. None of the playcallers we have know how to commit to the run. Sounds good in theory but dont worry, they will pass and pass it alot this season. Too many weapons in the passing game to not take advantage of it. Add in that the Cowboys are a slow starting offense and tend to fall behind and have to play catch up. Anyone really have faith in this secondary? I dont. This LBer core? I dont. The D-line to hold up 4 quarters? Fuck no.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Maybe in the first couple of games but there is no depth on this defense. Injuries are going to happen, cant avoid all of them. I hate the scheme. I think there is no creativity and good QBs can beat it to shit. None of the playcallers we have know how to commit to the run. Sounds good in theory but dont worry, they will pass and pass it alot this season. Too many weapons in the passing game to not take advantage of it. Add in that the Cowboys are a slow starting offense and tend to fall behind and have to play catch up. Anyone really have faith in this secondary? I dont. This LBer core? I dont. The D-line to hold up 4 quarters? Fuck no.
The injury front can't possibly be at the level of last season (knock on wood) where Dallas played 21 DL guys who weren't on the day one roster.

Tampa2 is a farce, as I've said. Teams don't run it anymore for very good reason. It unnecessarily complicates what is - by design - a very simple and effective defensive scheme. It worked for maybe two seasons before offensive coordinators of the league got hip to it. Happens with all gadgets sooner or later. Not to be confused with the 4-3, it's a gadget of the 4-3 from somebody who would rather run the 3-4.

For Dallas to be successful it MUST improve 3rd down efficiency, must avoid the injury plague of last year, must run the ball more and must get opposing offenses off the field more often.

It's okay to allow opposing offenses to use up some time and make yards (Dallas' best defense under Johnson still allowed a average of 245 ypg) but it MUST also not let the opposing offense come away with TDs all the time.

Reaction score
Exactly...

And on the show yesterday, Sturm went through the list of guys we have tried to fit in at safety here since Woodson.

High draft pick on Roy Williams, who was good for a few years and then dropped off the cliff.
Hamilin
Sensabaugh
Pat Watkins
Jeff Heath
Abe Elam
Will Allen
Brodney Pool
Keith Davis
Alan Ball
Mike Hamlin
DeAngelo Smith
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
Danny McCray
Matt Johnson
Barry Church
JJ Wilcox

Church and Wilcox aren't close to the worst on that list... but when are we ever going to devote some serious resources to safeties?

Top Bottom