Reaction score

Bruce Carter not concerned about demotion

August, 19, 2014

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Linebacker Bruce Carter doesn’t believe that the Dallas Cowboys want to demote him from the starting lineup.

There is certainly evidence that Cowboys are trying to push Carter, a major disappointment last season, to the bench. Justin Durant worked with the starters at Carter’s weakside linebacker spot during Tuesday’s practice with Rolando McClain at middle linebacker.

But Carter believes the Cowboys are just trying to give themselves insurance options in their linebacker corps by giving different combinations practice time together, particularly with versatile second-year linebacker DeVonte Holloman potentially out for the season with a neck injury, pending a second medical opinion.

“No, I don’t think so,” Carter said when asked whether the team was trying to demote him. “I just think we need depth. Especially Ro, he needs to get his reps at Mike. … So they’re just trying, I guess, to see what the rotations are going to be. I don’t know.”

The rotation featuring McClain in the middle and Durant on the weak side certainly came as no surprise.

Head coach Jason Garrett strongly hinted about it during training camp, when he said that Durant’s most natural position was playing the weak side. The Cowboys clearly traded for the twice-retired McClain with the hope that the 25-year-old former eighth-overall pick would win the starting job at middle linebacker.

It’s also telling that owner and general manager Jerry Jones didn’t mention Carter’s name when discussing the linebacker corps during his Tuesday morning radio appearance.

“I do think that we’ve got a chance to pull one out of our hat with McClain,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan. “Are we looking for it? Yes. Do we wonder about him? Yes. By the same token, an old adage in this league is when somebody has once been a blue player, a blue, not just Cowboys blue, but blue in general, then look for him to be a good player again. Doesn’t mean he’s going to be, but he can be. … I’m pretty pleased with his progress.

“The way Durant’s playing, the way [strongside linebacker Kyle] Wilber is playing – Wilber could be one of the more pleasant surprises because of the level he’s playing at – our linebackers have a chance to I think be better than we expect.”

The coaches have said they will find the best combination of three linebackers for a starting unit. Carter said linebackers coach Matt Eberflus told him that all three spots are open, but the former second-round pick doesn’t seem concerned about losing a starting job despite being benched twice last season.

“For anybody, you’ve just got to go out there and work hard at it, prove to your coaches and especially your teammates that you’re going to be the best guy for that position,” Carter said. “Just keep going out there and battling.”

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I still have hope for Carter. We've seen some flashes of his potential. Just need him to finally get it.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
That draft isn't looking so good. I hope that red gets fired and Jerry dies before the 2015 season.

Reaction score
Headline is misleading for the question asked of him and the quote. He said he doesn't think the Cowboys are trying to demote him... headline makes it seems like he doesn't care one way or the other, and that's not exactly what he said.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Headline is misleading for the question asked of him and the quote. He said he doesn't think the Cowboys are trying to demote him... headline makes it seems like he doesn't care one way or the other, and that's not exactly what he said.

Exactly.

Reaction score
Wait before you change...it's possible that there may be an Autocorrect that led to the title.

It might have originally been 'Bruce Carter not concerned about the motion'. Maybe this was really about Carter not getting carsick.

CaliCowboy

Cheerleader
Reaction score
THANKS!!!!!!!
So much more responsive than other forums...Maybe you guys do have something here

I was just about to change my avatar to LIVE snow leopard, but now maybe I'll change it to the one hit by an elephant gun

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
If we could ever lure a decent amount of members away from the shitzone that want to have intelligent football discussion, I'm sure it'd be a great place to have discussions.

No overbearing mods to threaten you when your opinion doesn't match up with the board mantra. We may call someone a stupid ass, but at least they won't have to worry about being "benched" if you have a scuffle with a mod.

CaliCowboy

Cheerleader
Reaction score
If we could ever lure a decent amount of members away from the shitzone that want to have intelligent football discussion, I'm sure it'd be a great place to have discussions.

No overbearing mods to threaten you when your opinion doesn't match up with the board mantra. We may call someone a stupid ass, but at least they won't have to worry about being "benched" if you have a scuffle with a mod.

I can try to get kristie for ya. Not getting many hits on her video blogs, she's likely ripe

for a transition

Top Bottom