Reaction score
http://deadspin.com/report-jerry-jones-was-physically-barred-from-drafting-1623446357

Report: Jerry Jones Was Physically Barred From Drafting Johnny Manziel
Tom Ley

It appears that Jerry Jones is still operating the Dallas Cowboys by following the "Drunk Uncle" school of management. Which is to say, his own children still need to physically prevent him from making franchise-altering decisions on the fly.

In an excerpt from Manziel Mania, a new book from Jim Dent, we are given a behind-the-scenes glimpse at the Cowboys' 2014 draft. When Dallas came on the clock with the 16th pick in the first round, Ol' Jerry was apparently thiiiiiis close to handing Johnny Manziel's draft card up the podium, but was stopped by his own son. From the Dallas Morning News:

"I could just see Jones grabbing Manziel with the 16th choice of the first round," Dent writes. "I wrote a book about Jerry Jones in 1995 titled 'King of the Cowboys.' I know the Boss Hog. I knew that Jones' hands were shaking when the Cowboys went on the clock with Manziel still on the board. I could envision Jones scribbling the name of Johnny Manziel on the draft card. Indeed, all of these things happened.

"As it turned out, Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones had snatched the Manziel card straight out of his dad's hand. Otherwise, Jerry would have drafted him and JFF would have sat for at least three years behind Tony Romo."

The Cowboys drafting Johnny Football would have been hilarious for a variety of reasons, one of them being the mountain of money that the team very recently dropped on Tony Romo's lap. God, could you imagine all the "quarterback controversy" stories crazy-ass Jerry would have spawned over the next three years if he had made that move? As we've recently stated, Jerry Jones is just too old and too rich to really give a shit about anything anymore.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Dumb. A card is only important if you're at the draft. It's not like he told the team rep in NY to draft Manziel and Stephen ripped the phone out of his hand.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah bb, heard Dent on the radio last week talking about this and thought the same thing. You'd guess he was speaking metaphorically, but still.

Funny, Dent thinks Manziel is going to be great but he still said Stephen deserved a medal for this, because he said Johnny isn't a bench-sitter and it just wouldn't have worked here.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Jerry would have drafted him and JFF would have sat for at least three years behind Tony Romo
I seriously doubt that part.

Reaction score
Yeah bb, heard Dent on the radio last week talking about this and thought the same thing. You'd guess he was speaking metaphorically, but still.

Funny, Dent thinks Manziel is going to be great but he still said Stephen deserved a medal for this, because he said Johnny isn't a bench-sitter and it just wouldn't have worked here.

I'm not a Manzielite. He just does not look like he has enough power or physical presence to play the game. Not sure how he is going to handle a serious hit. Looks like he is a clavicle snap on his first pancake sack away from missing most of his rookie year. Something about him reminds me of a high school player.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I'm watching the game at a bar now...He looks terrible. It makes my soul smile.

Reaction score
Dumb. A card is only important if you're at the draft. It's not like he told the team rep in NY to draft Manziel and Stephen ripped the phone out of his hand.
Yeah, but he is the GM. So if he turns in a card or tells the team rep on the phone to draft Manziel, then it happens, right? Whatever process they use, if he was this close to turning in Manziel's name and someone physically stopped him, then that's significant.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
On opening day of training camp the NFLNetwork guys interviewed Jerry and he basically said the same thing. He was ready to "turn in that card" but he went the safe route. He said that when he bought the Cowboys it wasn't the "safe move" and it worked out well for him and his gut was telling him to do the same thing and draft Manziel.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yeah, but he is the GM. So if he turns in a card or tells the team rep on the phone to draft Manziel, then it happens, right? Whatever process they use, if he was this close to turning in Manziel's name and someone physically stopped him, then that's significant.
They should have stopped him from this 55 million cost.

:jerrytony

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
obvious troll is obvious
A businessman who isn't emotionally attached would have allowed Romo to test the market, and probably saved himself 20 million over the life of the new contract.

There's anyone here who is wild about Romo's contract?

He's got Payton Manning-type money for fuck's sake, and he would NEVER have commanded anything close to that in the marketplace.

And look how it's turned out. Two back surgeries and only a awkward twist or hit away from being on IR or out of football.

Reaction score
Book claims Stephen Jones stopped Jerry from taking Manziel

Book claims Stephen Jones stopped Jerry from taking Manziel
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 19, 2014, 7:12 AM EDT

Cowboys owner and General Manager Jerry Jones has acknowledged that he almost drafted Johnny Manziel, and that he talked about it with his son Stephen at the moment the Cowboys were turning in their card. But a new book says it was a more dramatic scene than that.

According to author Jim Dent in the new book Manziel Mania, Stephen had to physically restrain Jerry from turning in a card with Manziel’s name on it, and if it hadn’t been for Steven stepping in, Manziel would be a Cowboy.

“Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones had snatched the Manziel card straight out of his dad’s hand. Otherwise, Jerry would have drafted him and JFF would have sat for at least three years behind Tony Romo,” Dent writes, via the Dallas Morning News.

If Jerry watched Manziel’s sub-par performance on Monday night, he may be thanking his son today.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I hate Stephen Jones that muther fucker.

I hate him as well. Jerry could have drafted Johnny Football and it would have provided years of top quality entertainment. Let's face facts, this team is not going to a Super Bowl. Fans can get that fairy tale shit out of their heads. At the very least, Manziel would be fun to watch and give a reason to watch the game. The Cowboys stink and they are not going to get much better. Why waste the time watching a team that has no hope? Is Martin going to entertain us much as Johnny Football? I don't think so and Martin is not going make the games worth watching. Will hate Stephen forever for stopping Jerry from giving me a reason to watch.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Did you see the redskins/browns game? Johnny Eightball looked TERRIBLE. I'm glad we didn't draft that spoiled brat. He flipped off the redskins sideline because he couldn't take their shit-talking. What would happen when he plays in philly? I think he'd let them get into his head and possibly have a meltdown.

Top Bottom