Reaction score
RB Ryan Williams shows flashes
August, 17, 2014
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The battle for the third running back spot on the Dallas Cowboys’ roster became much more interesting during the fourth quarter Saturday night.

That’s when Ryan Williams, the former second-round pick who played only five games in three seasons with the Arizona Cardinals because of injuries, provided glimpses of the potential that made him so highly regarded coming out of Virginia Tech.

Williams carried five times for 36 yards in the quarter. The highlights were a 27-yard run on which he ran right over a Baltimore Ravens safety and a 3-yard touchdown run that featured what hyperbole-prone owner and general manager Jerry Jones called an “Emmitt Smith cut.”:jerry2

“He helped himself, there’s no question about that,” head coach Jason Garrett said. “He’s a good runner. He and I have had some conversations over the course of training camp, and sometimes guys just need to get the weight of the world off their shoulders and just go play and play with a passion and a spirit.

“He certainly did that tonight, and we saw him break tackles, run over guys and just play with that elusiveness that we saw in him coming out of school.”

Williams, who ruptured the patella tendon in his right knee as a rookie, went on injured reserve with a shoulder injury his second season and essentially redshirted last year, readily admits that he didn’t have a great training camp.

The reality of the situation is that Williams is probably competing with 2013 fifth-round pick Joseph Randle for a roster spot. And Williams is well aware that Randle, who had another impressive performance with 41 yards on seven carries, is ahead of him on the depth chart.

“I feel like that’s where I went wrong,” Williams said. “During training camp, I was thinking too much. I didn’t just go out there and play. I want to be on the team. I want to be on my favorite team, and this is my favorite team.

“But one thing that I realized, man, I’ve never been a player to think. I’ve just been a player to react. So if I just go out there and show my skills, I’ll just let the chips fall where they fall – and I’m hoping all my chips fall here. That’s the plan and that’s the goal.”

Williams said words can’t describe the feeling he had after making big plays after such a long, twisted comeback road. He firmly believes that he’s physically back to being the same tailback who was a second-round pick a few years ago.

Williams has two more weeks to prove to the Cowboys he’s worth keeping on the roster and is eager for the opportunity.

“Yeah, he’s a good running back,” Jones said. “Of course, Joseph Randle has had a great camp. It’s really pushed Randle to have Williams behind him, but I’m glad to see Williams have that good night.”

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Williams is better than Randle. They are trying to justify Randle by putting him at KR but he's lousy there too. I wouldn't be afraid to move on from Dunbar either. His ball security has always scared me.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Williams is better than Randle. They are trying to justify Randle by putting him at KR but he's lousy there too. I wouldn't be afraid to move on from Dunbar either. His ball security has always scared me.

I'm still scratching my head as to why Randle was returning kicks.

Reaction score
I think he's a head case.

Head cases make great RB theater and they tend to play pretty well: Chris Johnson, Lawrence Phillips, Ricky Watters, Ricky Williams, etc.

Keep the head cases. Lose the passionless talentless Randles?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Head cases make great RB theater and they tend to play pretty well: Chris Johnson, Lawrence Phillips, Ricky Watters, Ricky Williams, etc.

Keep the head cases. Lose the passionless talentless Randles?
You forgot Hershel Walker here.

Reaction score

Great point about Dunbar.

Depending on how well Williams plays in the next couple of weeks, it really could make a lot of sense to keep Williams over Dunbar. I do think this team would be better served by a more powerful back who can close out games rather than by a change of pace guy who provides an occasional spark.

Reaction score
The Cowboys signed Phillip Tanner to play on Thursday night. It is a bit peculiar.

That's right, one of my sources is telling me that the Cowboys are negotiating a trade involving Ryan Williams.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I love Dunbar. Maybe I'm a little bias. He went to my school, and I've run into him at my friends apartment. Cool guy.

Reaction score
The Cowboys signed Phillip Tanner to play on Thursday night. It is a bit peculiar.

That's right, one of my sources is telling me that the Cowboys are negotiating a trade involving Ryan Williams.

i hope not, I'm really rooting for this guy. He's out there running like he's got something to prove, haven't seen anything near as impressive from Randle his whole career here. Doesn't run with the same power and isn't shifty. Why is he here?

Reaction score
I haven't heard anything about Williams being traded. They're saying Murray and Dunbar are being held out and Williams and Randle are dinged up.

Top Bottom