Reaction score
Expect more defensive holding, illegal contact flags this year
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 1, 2014, 5:49 AM EDT

NFL rules have already done plenty to favor the passing game, but this year may be the biggest passing season yet.

That’s because, as explained by veteran referee Ed Hochuli, NFL officials are planning to emphasize defensive holding and illegal contact this season. Hochuli said that early in the year, when defensive backs haven’t yet learned how strictly the officials are going to call the penalties, the flags will fly frequently.

“I would expect there may be more fouls called in the first preseason game and the first regular-season game,” Hochuli told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “The big one is holding. We’ve also tightened up the rule on illegal contact. We’ve always given a little leeway on that.

Opposing offenses complained last season that the Super Bowl champion Seahawks were grabbing and holding and not getting flagged for it. This year the Seahawks may have to adjust their style. And offenses across the league may put up even bigger numbers than ever before.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Yay. Let's just take 5 minute tea - breaks before each down. Games will be 4 hours long. At least we have stripper poles and dancers.

BangersandMash

Practice Squad
Reaction score
NFL games are a few years away from being all day events like music festivals. Game starts at 11am over 9pm.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Might as well put flags on all the players and play flag football.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Expect more defensive holding, illegal contact flags this year
"Because those meanies, those bullies the Seahawks, roughed up Denver and spoiled Payton's day!"

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Biggest choke - job I've ever seen in my life, yet he always gets a pass.

Top Bottom