Reaction score
LINK (source: northern Virgina publication)

Ryan Williams gets fresh start in Dallas

Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 5:30 am | Updated: 9:13 am, Thu Jul 24, 2014.
by David_Fawcett

Ryan Williams wasn’t sure what to expect the day he arrived in Dallas to work out for the Cowboys.

Despite great promise, Williams’ NFL career had yet to take off and more questions than answers remained as to whether it ever would.

Three seasons in Arizona had produced two season-ending injuries with a grand total of five games and 164 rushing yards on 58 attempts. Not exactly the type of numbers Williams or Arizona hoped for when the Cardinals selected the Stonewall Jackson High School graduate 38th overall in the 2011 NFL Draft out of Virginia Tech.

Deciding to move on and free up space under the salary cap, Arizona released Williams May 12, allowing Williams the opportunity to sign as a free agent with another team and forcing him to search for other opportunities sooner than he or anyone anticipated.

Dallas was Williams’ No. 1 choice. The Cowboys had always been his favorite team and he felt they would give him a fair shot to step in, push for playing time and contribute right away.

Dallas reciprocated the interest and brought Williams in for a tryout May 17.

He looked forward to the chance to showcase his skills, but Williams was also determined to take another step toward shedding any stigma that might label him as a bust or injury-prone. As haunted as he was by his past struggles, he did not view himself as someone with unfulfilled potential. He was someone itching for a fresh start.

The question was whether the Cowboys would see him the way he saw himself. He soon got his answer from a person in Dallas’ organization.

In recounting the story, Williams said he doesn’t remember the person’s name or role with the team. What stood out, though, was how the man greeted Williams when he walked out to the field for his workout.

“He said when the Cowboys saw my name on the waiver wire, the whole building wanted me,” Williams said.

That’s all Williams needed to hear. Being surrounded by key members of Dallas’ front office, including owner Jerry Jones, head coach Jason Garrett and director of player personnel Stephen Jones, only bolstered his spirits as Williams turned in an impressive performance during his 30-minute workout by Cowboys running back coach Gary Brown.

“I got a different vibe than being in Arizona last year,” Williams said. “It was a great feeling. I felt like I could be part of something.”

ANOTHER CHAPTER

So much has changed for Williams since the night in April of 2011 when he and his family and friends attended the draft in New York City, waiting for word of his future.

Not long into the draft’s second day, Williams’ phone rang. Arizona was on the other end to tell Williams they had taken him.

An emotional Williams, who left Virginia Tech with two years of eligibility, wept and then hugged those around him before heading out to the stage at Radio City Music Hall and accepting congratulations from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and former Cardinals cornerback Aenaes Williams, who announced the selection.

The celebration, though, was short-lived as Williams’ time in Arizona eventually became defined by disappointment and frustration.

Williams missed his entire rookie season after rupturing his patellar tendon two games into the preseason. He then missed most of the 2012 season after suffering a shoulder injury in Arizona’s fifth regular-season game.

ONE LAST CHANCE

Coming into Arizona’s 2013 training camp, Williams knew his standing in the organization was far from firm. Trade rumors circulated and then the injury bug hit again when his knee began hurting him early in training camp.

To get himself back on to the field as soon as possible, Williams said he was injected with various shots to ease the pain. But it still lingered.

“I’m not here to throw anyone under the bus,” Williams said. “I love the training staff in Arizona. There was confusion on my part and on that side of the staff as far as what was going on. The quickest way was to shoot my knee up to speed up the process.”

By missing time on the field, Williams fell down the depth chart and never recovered. He played in Arizona’s final two preseason games, rushing twice for 10 yards against San Diego and nine times for 25 yards and a touchdown against Denver.

He made the final 53-player roster but was never activated for any of the 16 regular-season games as the Cardinals relied on other running backs to carry the load.

Williams thought his best chance to play came in Week 8 against Atlanta when starter Rashard Mendenhall was out with an injury.

“I asked if I would get on the active roster and I was told no,” Williams said. “After that, I knew I was not going to play the whole season.”

Williams said no one worked harder during the week than him. He was the first one to practice and the last one to leave.

“It’s a business,” Williams said. “I wish I could go into the office and create a highlight film of practices and put it on my phone to show my friends. I killed the defense.”

Arizona first-year head coach Bruce Arians had stated that one of the reasons Williams never played was his inexperience with special teams. It’s a notion Williams scoffs at.

“You mean I can’t run down the field to make a tackle?” Williams said.

Williams said Arians never told him directly why he remained on the sidelines.

“Only Bruce Arians knows why I wasn’t playing,” Williams said. “I have no plans on talking to him anytime soon.”

The Cardinals felt it had given Williams plenty of chances to play, but that he had been beaten out by other running backs.

"I think you always want to try to always give the player the benefit of the doubt and try to see the process through," Cardinals GM Steve Keim told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM May 20. "He was bit early with the injury bug, then he came back and he was healthy.

"Quite frankly, Bruce and his staff gave him several opportunities last season, and quite frankly, he was outperformed by some of the younger backs on our roster."

Feeling like he had no one fighting for him, Williams fired his agent Malik Shareef in March. Williams had signed with Shareef out of loyalty after he was introduced to Williams as a teenager through a family friend.

“The problems began when I got hurt and it went downhill from there,” Williams said of his relationship with Shareef. “A lot of things stopped happening after I got hurt … No one was pleading my case.”

Two weeks later, Williams replaced him with Eugene Parker, one of two finalists when Williams was initially choosing an agent.

Williams became reacquainted with Parker through Cardinals’ receiver Larry Fitzgerald. Parker represents Fitzgerald.

Parker wasted no time helping Williams out. He made arrangements for Williams to get his knee checked out by a doctor in Minnesota.

As he tried to put 2013 behind him, Williams kept his mouth shut, believing he would get a fair shot to return to the lineup. In Williams’ mind, there was no reason to think otherwise. That’s why he was shocked when he was called into the office of Mike Disner May 12 and told the Cardinals were releasing him.

Before hearing the news, Williams had met earlier in the day with the Cardinals’ offensive coordinator, who was telling him they were designing plays specifically for him. Williams is convinced most people in the Cardinals’ organization were in the dark about the team’s decision to release him.

What bothered him the most, though, was he received the news from someone other than the general manager or Arians. Disner is Arizona’s director of football operations and salary cap expert.

“The whole situation was off to me,” Williams said.

CONFIDENCE BOOST

On the free-agent market, Williams drew immediate interest from teams, including the Titans, where he heard from Ken Whisenhunt, his former head coach at Arizona now at Tennessee.

The Cowboys had a starting running back in DeMarco Murray, but were looking for a backup when they signed Williams. Williams is expected to challenge Joseph Randle, a fifth-round pick last season, for that position.

“We thought a lot of him coming out of school. He’s had some injuries in Arizona and hasn’t played as much as I think they probably thought he would, but he’s certainly an impressive guy,” Garrett told the Cowboys website the day of Williams’ workout May 17. “What we saw on tape when he was playing was some pretty good stuff, even though they numbers didn’t back that up. You saw that kind of movement today in the workout.”

With a new team and a new outlook, Williams is more determined than ever to prove to critics he not only belongs in the NFL, but he can become a headliner in it and leave a legacy as one of the best ever.

“I promised myself there would be better days ahead,” Williams said. “I took everybody’s ridicule. But I feel like the time is now for them to eat their words.”

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Well... He's only 24 and should have fresh legs at least. #34 on the program this preseason.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So a well respected coach, Bruce Arians, had no use for the guy?

Major red flag.

Yeah, you wonder what Arians' side of the story is.

The player claims he was better than everyone, worked harder than anyone, and never did anything wrong... But they still cut him? Doesn't add up.

Reaction score
Who has a better shot at being a contributor this year: Rolando $#@& the police McClain or Ryan Williams?

I doubt either makes the team.

Reaction score
Factoid: Williams was cut after Mendenhall retired.

(Clearly the Cardinals weren't counting on Williams becoming a contributor.)

I am looking forward to seeing Williams play this preseason. I heard Steve Dennis go on about how Williams is a high quality power back, so I'm curious.

Reaction score
I seen him play at VT and I thought he'd be a good back. But I doubt he's gonna come back from those injuries.

And if he can't contribute on special teams... well what the hell good is he as a third string rb?

Reaction score
Not playing on special teams hurts -- no doubt, but I gotta believe that Murray and/or Dunbar are going to miss at least a few games this year.

Reaction score
Not playing on special teams hurts -- no doubt, but I gotta believe that Murray and/or Dunbar are going to miss at least a few games this year.

I'm sure they will, but you can't keep a third string RB on the roster if he doesn't contribute on ST's.

Especially on a team who places running the ball on the back burner.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Who has a better shot at being a contributor this year: Rolando $#@& the police McClain or Ryan Williams?

I doubt either makes the team.

If I was going to put money on it, I'd bet neither one of them makes it.

If I had to pick one of the two though I'd probably go with McClain. I liked Williams a lot at Va Tech but he has had some pretty devastating injuries. he probably would have to be really good in camp and preseason to force them into giving up on a rookie from last years draft (Randle). McClain probably only needs to be about the same as Durant to get the nod over him, because he's younger and cheaper.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Wanna make a steak dinner bet? But heres' the thing, if I'm wrong I will clutch onto some miniscule nonsense excuse that covers my ass. I don't back down from anyone.

Reaction score
They both make the team and they both contribute.

McLain makes the team bc of Saban. My prediction is Williams will outproduce Randle, Dunbar, and maybe even Murray in TC and Preseason (frankly because with experience and that OL who isn't going to 5ypc?!), but if the RBs start making too much noise, I think its a threat to Jason's process and he will shed Williams before he will admit the need of a strong running squad.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Wanna make a steak dinner bet? But heres' the thing, if I'm wrong I will clutch onto some miniscule nonsense excuse that covers my ass. I don't back down from anyone.

And if you bring up again, I'll run tell the mods!

Reaction score
This is the kind of stuff that leads me to feel optimistic about a player (only to feel let down later).

From Broaddus:

Didn’t honestly know a great deal about Ryan Williams or the type of game he plays, but I have to admit he is growing on me. His film from his days at Arizona was okay and nothing special. What I have noticed about him seeing him now in person -- there is a pace in which he plays. There is some elusiveness to his game with the ball in his hands. He does show that ability to make people miss when he is going to and through the hole. I didn’t believe he had the quickness, say, of a back like Lance Dunbar, but there are snaps where he appears just that. There is acceleration and a burst in his play. He can get the ball around the corner and into the secondary. He has done a nice job of keeping his pads down when taking on defenders. What really has impressed me has been his ability to catch the ball on the move. He extends his hands and can really snatch the ball. Showed some nice feel of how to work the screen. If there is an area he is working on, it’s pass protection. In Arizona, that part of his game was awful with poor effort and technique. Since this camp opened, he has done a much better job of staying square and taking on the rusher. There has been improvement here.

Top Bottom