Reaction score
by Gregory Korte, USA TODAY
WVEC.com
Posted on July 25, 2014 at 12:46 PM

WASHINGTON -- A top aide to President Obama said it's possible that Obama could be impeached by the Republican-controlled House of Representatives.

House Speaker John Boehner's decision to proceed with a lawsuit against the president has "opened the door" to the third presidential impeachment in the nation's history, Senior Adviser Dan Pfeiffer told reporters at a Friday breakfast sponsored by the Christian Science Monitor.

"Impeachment is a very serious thing that has been bandied about by the recent Republican vice presidential nominee and others in a very un-serious way," he said, referring to former Alaska governor Sarah Palin. "We take it very seriously and I don't think it would be a good thing."

Pfeiffer was quick to add that "no one has alleged anything that is even six universes from what is generally considered" to be an impeachable offense.

Boehner has dismissed calls for Obama to be impeached. His spokesman, Michael Steel, called Pfeiffer's comments "a fundraising exercise for Democrats."

"We have a humanitarian crisis at our border, and the White House is making matters worse with inattention and mixed signals," Steel said. "It is telling, and sad, that a senior White House official is focused on political games, rather than helping these kids and securing the border."

A CNN/ORC poll released Friday shows 35% of Americans favor impeachment, which is about the same support for efforts to impeach Presidents Clinton and George W. Bush. Pfeiffer noted that a majority of Republicans -- 57% -- favor impeaching Obama.

Impeachment is the bringing of charges against a president or federal judge by the House of Representatives. A president can only be removed after a trial on those charges by the Senate.

Boehner has chosen a less drastic approach with a plan to sue Obama over his decision to delay enforcement of a provision in the Affordable Care Act requiring employers to provide health insurance. That plan passed the House Rules Committee Thursday, clearing the way for a vote on the House floor.

Pfeiffer said the lawsuit won't have an impact on how the president uses his executive authority. In fact, he said, the threat of lawsuits validates that Obama's executive actions are "far from the small ball that some have accused it of being."

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
There's been no talk of impeachment at all, except from Democrats. They can point to Palin's rant all they want but it's been a long time since she was relevant.

Trying for impeachment would be the dumbest thing the repugs could do.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Trying for impeachment would be the dumbest thing the repugs could do.

Obama does deserve to be impeached, but there's really no since in pursuing it.

The stupid fuck American people that voted this moron in (twice) will probably vote in another totally unqualified libtard in 2016.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Obama does deserve to be impeached, but there's really no since in pursuing it.

The stupid fuck American people that voted this moron in (twice) will probably vote in another totally unqualified libtard in 2016.

I saw an article (I only read it because it was about Chris Christie going to Colorado and shitting on legalized weed) that said your GOP options will be Rand Paul and Chris Christie.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
I saw an article (I only read it because it was about Chris Christie going to Colorado and shitting on legalized weed) that said your GOP options will be Rand Paul and Chris Christie.

What's that about???

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yet to see any "presidential" candidates in the 2016 discussion.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Who is worse? Bush or obama? Both I would consider some of the worst presidents we've had.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Who is worse? Bush or obama? Both I would consider some of the worst presidents we've had.

I think they are equally terrible. Just in different ways.

It will have been a bad 16 years.

Top Bottom