Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
James Garner Dies

Amiable film and television actor James Garner, who starred in popular television series, “Maverick” and “The Rockford Files,” died Saturday at his home in the Brentwood neighborhood of Los Angeles. He was 86.

Like many popular leading men of Hollywood’s heyday, Garner boasted all-American good looks and a winning personality that carried him through comedy and drama alike. Garner won two Emmys and racked up a total of 15 nominations. He had his greatest impact in television, first on “Maverick” in the ’50s and then in the ’70s on “The Rockford Files,” for which he won an Emmy in 1977. He later appeared in several quality telepics including “Promise,” “My Name Is Bill W.” and “Barbarians at the Gate,” as well as the occasional strong feature such as “Victor/Victoria” and “Murphy’s Romance,” for which he captured his sole Oscar nomination for lead actor.

Life imitated art. For years I lived in a trailer and drove that firebird, and worked as a bounty hunter for bondsmen. They called me "Rockfish."

RIP Jim ya Okie.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
[video=youtube;StYfOYOrSKQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StYfOYOrSKQ[/video]
I remember those, they came on the heels of her starring in one of the best Rockford Files episodes ever, "Paradise Cove."

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
nice nod to Isaac Hayes. at least Angel is still with us.
They were amused and pleased I understood their reference in calling me that. I even had his voice intro on my answering machine back then in those years.

I have all the Rockfish episodes and the 90s movies, on DVD. That was one show they shouldn't have allowed a kid my age to watch, I learned alot of deceptive ways and behaviors from that.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Paradise Cove Mariette Hartley was nominated for a Emmy for her work in this episode, where "High Chaparral" star Leif Erickson also guested.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Poor Jimbo was always getting ambushed in his trailer and never getting paid by his clients. Beth was one of TV's underrated hotties. I feel like driving a Gold Pontiac Firebird in his honor.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Poor Jimbo was always getting ambushed in his trailer and never getting paid by his clients.
He got paid a few times but usually when he did he wished he could give them their money back, because apparently only scum actually pay.

He also got a big finders fee from the gubmint in the Paradise Cove episode.

Reaction score
I remember those, they came on the heels of her starring in one of the best Rockford Files episodes ever, "Paradise Cove."

I believe that the Polaroid commercials came first (and also followed).

Hard to believe how popular those commercials were at the time.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
oh right, the suicide that made him look like a murderer.
Right and he did 20 years for it, and then found out it was suicide and that it was his own two kids by the suicide lady that had been trying to kill him all episode. Heavy stuff.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He was doing them solo until the episode premiered. Then Don Draper got the idea to team them up.
Actually it was the other way around, the guest spot on the show was a product of the chemistry they had on the Polaroid commercials. I stand corrected.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
he also did some original vocals for that episode, iinm
Yep he was a unique talent... I even digitally remastered his "Theme from Shaft" for its 40th anniversary. (Audio production being a lifelong hobby just fyi)

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I also compiled a mix of the Rockford Files TV theme, incorporating all the different versions from over the years.

RockfordMix.mp3

(This has alot of my own synth and MIDI in it.)

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
"Sopranos" creator David Chase cut his teeth writing Rockford episodes.

Top Bottom