Reaction score
Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay was asked about Robert Griffin’s running burst on ESPN 980 in Washington DC, Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post reports.

“I don’t think there’s any question: he looks explosive,” the first year coordinator said. “He looks like he is exactly what he was in the 2012 season. I think people underestimate when you have a brace on your knee how much that truly restricts you….So I think being able to take that off, he looks extremely explosive.

“And when you’re a quarterback that has the ability to kind of buy time with your legs, keep your eyes downfield and then if guys are playing with their back to the quarterback, now he’s got a chance to take off and run it and create yards that way,” McVay said. “So I think that’s going to be a big part of what he does. And he’s continuing to get more and more comfortable feeling some of those soft spots in the pockets, and being able to remain a passer while also understanding that hey, I do have this elite trait with my legs and athleticism, that if things do break down I can create that way also.”

“I think the thing that’s great about Robert is he’s one of the most charismatic people I’ve been around,” McVay said. “He’s got a great energy. Kind of one of those guys, he’s a natural leader where people are just drawn to him. When you look at when he first came in 2012, he brought an immediate spark to our organization as a whole, not just our offense.

“And you saw that this whole offseason. He did a great job picking up the new terminology that we’re using — and we will still do some similar things that we’ve done in the past that have been able to give us some success these last two seasons. But he did an excellent job, and I think he and Jay have a great rapport that they’re getting ready to continue to develop as the season moves forward and as we go into the future. We’re really excited about him, and really happy with what he was able to accomplish this offseason.”

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I expect him to be very good again this year like he was two years ago.

I just don't know how good Gruden really is. I still think Shanahan's system helped that team a lot in 2012.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I just don't know how good Gruden really is. I still think Shanahan's system helped that team a lot in 2012.

Element of surprise. And if Shanahan really helped that system, to which I concur... every DC the following season figured out how exactly Shanahan's system was helping Robert Griffin 1-2-3, and were able to shut him down. People continue to try and have it both ways: they hyped him up after a successful rookie season, and then the let down, and so here comes the excuse-making.

And if you don't know how good Gruden is or isn't... then how can you expect Robert to be very good as in his rookie year? Doesn't make sense.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The league has caught up with his style and every team they face will be game planning him as it was last year. This is how his injury happened to start with, by the way.

Keep using him the same way expecting different results, the definition of insanity.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
And if you don't know how good Gruden is or isn't... then how can you expect Robert to be very good as in his rookie year? Doesn't make sense.
What doesn't make sense? Physically, I expect him to be back to what he was in 2012 because I think the knee was his main problem last year. Scheme and team-wise, I don't know if Gruden will be any good. If the coach isn't putting his players in the best position to succeed, the players won't do what they're capable of. Nobody knows this better than us.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
What doesn't make sense? Physically, I expect him to be back to what he was in 2012 because I think the knee was his main problem last year. Scheme and team-wise, I don't know if Gruden will be any good. If the coach isn't putting his players in the best position to succeed, the players won't do what they're capable of. Nobody knows this better than us.

That knee mess was an excuse, just to save face. All during the offseason, they were remarking as to how he was such a physical specimen and his knee was totally healed in such a short time and they compared him to AP's knee situation. Then when he was unable to replicate his rookie year, now everyone is falling back with the knee excuse.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Ok, well I don't think it was just an excuse. Just because freaky AP did it, I don't think that means everyone can be expected to be 100% eight months from a complete knee reconstruction.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
By all means, keep running downfield like you did as a rook. Only a matter of time before you're roadkill again.

Reaction score

I agree, i think he bounces back this year. Redskins will be a strong contender again. I like Gruden, i think he is better of the brothers.

Reaction score
I'm not rooting for RGiii to have long term success. But I do want him to do well this year.

Especially the last week of the season.

Reaction score
By all means, keep running downfield like you did as a rook. Only a matter of time before you're roadkill again.

I agree. Im not one to wish other persons ill, but my extreme dislike for the Foreskins and owner Danny Dickhead hopes she's (RG3) on IR sooner than later.

:suicide

Reaction score
I'm not rooting for RGiii to have long term success. But I do want him to do well this year.

Especially the last week of the season.

Thats disappointing. No matter how bad I wished Jerruh would step down as GM of the Cowboys, I would NEVER wish for the Foreskins to win vs the Cowboys. :no

Reaction score
Thats disappointing. No matter how bad I wished Jerruh would step down as GM of the Cowboys, I would NEVER wish for the Foreskins to win vs the Cowboys. :no

Not long ago I felt the same way.

Remember the game in 2006 (I think) in Washington where we had it won but the most ridiculous fluke play ever, blocked cowboys field goal, Sean Taylor recovery and return + a 15 yard personal foul on Dallas gave Washington a chance to win it with a 50yard plus field goal that they hit despite having a poor kicker? I felt physically ill after that game.

But years of mediocracy, a fumbling head coach, and an idiot GM who will do nothing but wink, smirk, and tell us everything is fantastic has beaten my fandom into virtual submission.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I agree. Im not one to wish other persons ill, but my extreme dislike for the Foreskins and owner Danny Dickhead hopes she's (RG3) on IR sooner than later.
That would actually be a bad thing for Dallas and the other teams in the East, because then the redskins might wind up having a real QB.

Top Bottom