dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
"possesses a boxy frame that doesn't look the part of an NFL LB"

"some might see as better suited to FB"

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Love this pick. Never seen him play. Never really heard of him. But he absolutely reminds me of Derrick Brooks. I truly believe he has that kind of ability. I didnt personally scout this guy, or even tip the Cowboys on him, but Stephen did mention his name while we spoke leading up to the draft. This guy isn't a guy that will get beat bc of lack of effort. I promise you that. Mr. Carter, step up or step out

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
WILL MCCLAY RUNNING THE BOARD!!!!!!

Nolan Nawrocki: 32nd rated OLB, Not on top 150 value board, Priority free agent.

An active, undersized, run-and-hit weakside linebacker , Hitchens is at his best in a scheme where he is protected and free to run to the ball. Has shown gradual improvement and could stand to compete for a backup role.

-

Frank Coyle, Draft Insiders Digest: 37th rated OLB, Not on top 300 value board, Undrafted free agent.

No write up

-

Scouts Inc., ESPN: 33rd rated OLB, Not on top 318 value board, Undrafted free agent.

Hitchens is an instinctive run-defender with decent range and the finishing burst to deliver big hits. He's not as effective in coverage as he lacks the fluid hips to hold up in man and doesn't show great awareness in underneath zone.

-

Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout: 24th rated OLB, Not on top 100 value board, 6th-7th round projection.

Hitchens isn't an ideal speed/strength player, but he plays decisive and physical, getting the most out of his ability. He was productive in college and showed versatility vs. the run and the pass and also on special teams coverage. He is limited in some areas, but is a classic overachiever who offers terrific football intangibles. Borderline draftable who might have trouble making the 53-man roster.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Any YouTube clips of him? I need to see this guy play for myself. I want to trust our defensive staff but this pick sure as hell doesn't sound like a good one.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Any YouTube clips of him? I need to see this guy play for myself. I want to trust our defensive staff but this pick sure as hell doesn't sound like a good one.

There is exactly one and the first play shows him on punt coverage units.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
[video=youtube;5fNPIz2enDY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fNPIz2enDY[/video]

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Scouting Report: Iowa's Hitchens A Compact, Tough LB

Posted 13 minutes ago

Bryan Broaddus

Football Analyst/Scout

Follow BryanBroaddus on Twitter All Bryan Broaddus Articles

IRVING, Texas – Here’s a scouting report on former Iowa outside linebacker and Cowboys fourth-round pick Anthony Hitchens.

Anthony Hitchens Iowa 31 6003 240 4.74

He’s a compact looking player on tape. You can see that there is a lot of weight packed on his body. For his bulk, felt like there were some times where he was very physical at the point of attack and then others where he could have done a little bit better job with his shed. He’ll extend his hands. He does a nice job of finding the ball. Big fan of the way that he reacts. He’ll take on in the hole with his shoulder, then work to the ball.

When he lowers his pads, you see a much better player. There were some snaps where he unloaded on the ball carrier. There is some pop with him. He does a nice job of handling the puller on the trap. He needs to get off the block a tick quick at times, but something he will get better at. Will close down in the hole. He’s able to flow to the ball. There were times where he over ran the ball and was very aggressive.

When he can see it, he can make the play. He’s not a fluid-moving athlete in space when it comes to coverage. He’s more of open, drop and float. Didn’t see him drive back to put himself in position. Think he would be a much better player if he didn’t weigh 240 pounds. That might help his quickness, but he’s extremely tough

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I can honestly say this dwarfs any reach we have made in Jerry Jones' tenure.

I can't find a single source anywhere that has him with a strong draftable grade.

At best, his grade is borderline.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Rowan Kavner @KavnerDC

Hitchens will begin as a backup middle linebacker. After rolling through backup LBs, sounds like insurance policy if Lee cant stay healthy

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Cowboys pick Anthony Hitchens in fourth

May, 10, 2014
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The pick: Anthony Hitchens, outside linebacker Iowa.

My take: It looks like the Cowboys picked up a weakside linebacker to compete with Bruce Carter and to get some time on special teams. The Cowboys liked Ohio State linebacker Ryan Shazier in the first round but when Pittsburgh took him, they moved on and selected Zack Martin, a tackle from Notre Dame. The Cowboys wanted Shazier to play weakside linebacker and pair him up with Sean Lee, the middle linebacker. But now, the Cowboys have taken Hitchens, who averaged 8.6 tackles per game in the Big Ten. The Cowboys not only want to improve the depth along the defensive line, but at the linebacker position as well. With Justin Durant and Carter entering important seasons with the Cowboys in 2014, creating competition at that position has become an important deal for the Cowboys.

Notable: Last season at Iowa, Hitchens finished with a team-leading 112 tackles, 13.5 tackles for loss and two forced fumbles. ... He earned Iowa's MVP, Defense in 2013 and he won the Hayden Fry "Extra Heartbeat" Award, defense.

Top Bottom