Reaction score
Let's say Jerry hires you as GM today. All the moves already made are done. What do you do? What's your 5 year plan?

Reaction score
Trade players for picks and bottom out so to speak. next year then draft a qb if the pick is high.
. Start over no one over 30 making significant money

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
At this point, I'd probably let Garrett finish out year but no way he's brought back.

I'd let the whole scouting staff go right now. I'd probably consult with Jimmy Johnson a lot. I'd try to put together the best scouting staff that 1) Jerry's money can buy, 2) are young and aggressive, and 3) are loyal to me.

I'd also try to steal away Stanford's Strength and Conditioning guy (Shannon Turley).

I'd stop signing JAG's and if I was forced to, nothing but one year deals.

As far as quality free agents, there's really not a lot left. I'd see if we can find an actual Free Safety who we could get on a 1 or 2 year deal. Chris Clemons (Miami) or Kendrick Lewis (Chiefs).

In the draft, I would go BPA and look to trade down if possible. I'd focus on getting future picks (2015, 2016, etc) if possible. I'd go defense heavy, and maybe O Line heavy too. I wouldn't pass up on a great skills player but I don't want them burning up their first few contract years on a non-contending team. By the time we are ready to compete (2 to 3 years) those skill players would need big, new contracts. I might look for our QB of the future in the 2015 draft, most likely 2016, which I envision being Romo's last year.

I'd try to sign Dez and Tyron long-term and I'd let Murray finish out his contract.

Basically, I'd be in rebuild mode and not super worried about winning in 2014. I'd consider trading almost anyone of worth to a contender at the trade deadline. At season's end, I'd let the entire coaching staff go. Hire my Head Coach and let him hire his staff.

Reaction score
I'd fire ginger and kill Lacewell immediately. I'd then bring in Gruden and probably retain Marinelli for now but the ultimate goal would be to get Harbaugh or Payton. I'm all for stockpiling picks so I'd look into trading with teams like Oakland and Cleveland. Basically, you have to rip off dumb GMs in this league and luckily there are plenty of them.

I'd also vet the scouts. Any scout with a shitty record of recommending bad talent and/or overlooking great talent would be axed.

Finally, I'd creat a CZ account and publicly hire Hos as team Historian. Then, I'd log back in like two weeks later and say I read his posts and they were all so incorrect and full of lies that I have no choice but to fire him.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'd start by cutting those two worthless pieces of shit they just signed.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
My strategy would be to copy New England. Draft better, sign role players, and when to let players go.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'd fire ginger and kill Lacewell immediately. I'd then bring in Gruden and probably retain Marinelli for now but the ultimate goal would be to get Harbaugh or Payton. I'm all for stockpiling picks so I'd look into trading with teams like Oakland and Cleveland. Basically, you have to rip off dumb GMs in this league and luckily there are plenty of them.

I'd also vet the scouts. Any scout with a shitty record of recommending bad talent and/or overlooking great talent would be axed.

Finally, I'd creat a CZ account and publicly hire Hos as team Historian. Then, I'd log back in like two weeks later and say I read his posts and they were all so incorrect and full of lies that I have no choice but to fire him.
LOL

You didn't say immediately fire Judd Garrett and cut off old man Garrett's pension, but I know you were thinking it.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Great thread. I say that because I was thinking of starting the same one.

Unfortunately, I can't turn back the clock on the turd signings they already made. So, here's what I do going forward.

I let Garrett and the clown scouts have the season. In the offseason, I cut bait and bring in a new GM. I'd look at the man in the mirror and realize I'm not qualified for the job. I'd probably just take Jerry and Stephen drinking everyday to try to keep them away from the football team. Maybe hire a full time hooker to be Spaulding's girlfriend. Anyway, for the real GM, I'd try to get Eric DeCosta, but I'd also look at Vincent (not Ozzie's brother, dumbshit) Newsome, Brian Gutekunst or raid someone from NE, SF or Seattle. Maybe Matt Russell or Tom Heckert from Denver. I'd work with the new GM to find a new coach and, get this, empower him to hire and fire his own staff.

I extend Dez and Tyron sometime this season. Next year, I part ways with Witten, Free and possibly Carr. I roll with Romo for this season and start looking at QBs next year.

In the draft this year, I go pure BPA, but I'm probably focusing on the OL and DL. Would be nice to have an in house Free replacement in place. I wouldn't even really care about the results this year because they can't make the moves they need to be a contender.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Yeah, I strongly doubt they would fetch much of anything...or at all.

Probably not but anything is better than nothing.

I'm with MB4 on this one.. I'd blow this whole thing up. Lets be honest here.. We're not doing shit this season. Immediately fire Garrett. Actually, I'd hold a press conference that Garrett doesn't know what its about. And I'd do it in front of everyone just so cameras can catch his eyes swell up in tears and lips quiver. I'd make a .gif of it then play it over and over at all home games. I'd trade everyone worth a shit except Dez, Tyron and Fredrick. Draft Johnny Manziel if he's available to sit a year behind Romo since it seems we're stuck with him for at least this season. Unless, there was a way to trade him too then his ass is gone for some picks. I'd focus mainly on the OLine in the draft .. starting guard and future RT. Then I'd slowly build this defense up. Its gonna take a lot of time and work for that so its pointless in my mind to put a lot of resources this year to it. I'd make it my mission to finally find Darren Woodson's replacement.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm with MB4 on this one.. I'd blow this whole thing up. Lets be honest here.. We're not doing shit this season. Immediately fire Garrett. Actually, I'd hold a press conference that Garrett doesn't know what its about. And I'd do it in front of everyone just so cameras can catch his eyes swell up in tears and lips quiver. I'd make a .gif of it then play it over and over at all home games.
~ adds NSIMG to friend list ~

Reaction score
Yeah, I strongly doubt they would fetch much of anything...or at all.

Witten has Gonzalez value so a 2nd ish
The rest are overpaid so yea Not much
Surprisingly free might have the most value at this point. Cheap, durable, experience, versatile, youngish

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Witten has like 6th round pick value. He has no run after the catch ability anymore at all.

Top Bottom