Reaction score
I'm not smart enough to know how to phrase this question intelligently....

In it's simplest form, was the early 1990's Super Bowls worth it?

If by some cosmic or magical means you had the way to wash Jerry Jones out of the Cowboys history - have some other schmuck by the team - and basically do away with the dynasty years .... would you?

Because I think we all know, deep down, we're never going to see another Super Bowl as long as Jerry is alive. That's probably another 15-20 years real talk. Then we have to hold out hope that Stephen doesn't have the same ego. I felt that at one time, but now that he's been more prominent in the media, and seeing some of the decisions he stands by his father making, I've lost hope in that. Not to mention, the whole god damned family is just a bunch of marketing first football fourth types.

But on the other hand, a lot of fans of a lot of teams haven't ever had the opportunity to witness their team even participating in a Super Bowl, let alone win it. And we did get three, afterall.

So is the joy and excitement you experienced with this team some twenty years ago enough to satisfy you? Or would you, given the chance, erase those from existance with the hopes that some other business man bought the team, actually cared about delivering a quality product, and thus potentially at least giving us a real opportunity to compete year in and year out?

Fuck this reads stupidly and I should probably delete it but no.... not going to.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It's dumb that this even has to be a choice (and I realize it basically is).

Any other owner would have seen the futility and changed course but not this dummie.

The better question is was the 1995 Superbowl team worth it (Switzer)? That gave the hillbilly moron the false idea that he was responsible for the success.

Reaction score
The better question is was the 1995 Superbowl team worth it (Switzer)? That gave the hillbilly moron the false idea that he was responsible for the success.

I disagree. I think even if we never made it back... he'd still be doing things this way.

There's two things Jerry wants: money and to be accepted/recognized as a 'football guy.'

Based on all the books I read on the early 90s' Cowboys, they all paint Jerry as a guy who just wanted to be accepted as one of the guys by the coaches/scouts. Seemed like most of his issues with Jimmy stemmed from that.

So even if we didn't win in 1995, I think he'd still be doing things like this just to prove he can do it.

Reaction score
I will never agree with this notion that "any other owner would have changed blah blah blah"

What about all the teams who have never even won a single Super Bowl. Like it or not, Jerruh was in charge for three super bowls. I wouldn't trade them. And I don't buy the notion that its impossible for this team to win another SB with Jerry alive. That's just irrational negativity.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
No, no you're right. Most successful business owners keep failing the same way over and over again.

All of those other owners fired and hired GM's for not getting the job done.

Jerry will not win another Super Bowl if he continues to run the team the way he has.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
And I don't buy the notion that its impossible for this team to win another SB with Jerry alive. That's just irrational negativity.

Yeah, I see where you get that based on his track record since 1995. Actually, make that 1994.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
No, no changes. Jerry is a human boil, but his mythical substitute could have just as easily turned us into the Browns, Lions, Redskins, Dolphins, etc.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't agree any other owner would have netted us those 3 super bowls. We don't know that "any other owner" would have hired Jimmy Johnson in 1989.

I do think its an iron clad lock that we wouldn't have won 3 super bowls without Jimmy Johnson. He had no one even close to his equal during his time here in terms of judging talent and understanding how to build a roster.

I think what ruined Jerry was seeing how apparently easy Jimmy did it, and then thought he could do the same and get all the credit without Jimmy around. Like so many other Jerry decisions, he was wrong.

Reaction score
I would give anything to get rid of Jones. If it meant trading those 3 super bowls away, I would do it. Worst case scenario, today I would have some hope that the organization could be fixed. I do not believe Jerry can fix this organization. He's all consumed by ego, and he's going to do it his way or die trying.

Under current circumstances, not even the desire for more money can overcome his ego. The amount of money he could make with a winning team is exponentially more than what he's making now. Mid said it... he's more concerned with being thought of as a football guy who belongs... not just a pocketbook.

Reaction score
I say no. The enjoyment I experienced during those years do not make up for the sheer misery each new season ends with, plus the complete laughing stock this team has become.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Look at all the teams still trying to win 1, let alone 3

Some of you are out of your fucking heads

Reaction score
Look at all the teams still trying to win 1, let alone 3

Some of you are out of your fucking heads

Okay... fine. But what does that get you? Bragging rights?

Do you really rest your laurels on what we did 20 years ago?

Who gives a shit about that.

This team is fucking doomed for the next 10-15 years - AT LEAST.

Which means by the time Jerry Jones dies, it'll have been like 30 years since we were in a Super Bowl.

Let that marinate for a minute.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Its still better than never winning any...you do know a lot of teams have never won one right? Hell some teams haven't even played in one.

Jones sucks beyond belief, but winning super bowls is still winning super bowls...those 90's teams were awesome to watch

Reaction score
Its still better than never winning any...you do know a lot of teams have never won one right? Hell some teams haven't even played in one.

Jones sucks beyond belief, but winning super bowls is still winning super bowls...those 90's teams were awesome to watch

Okay... fine. But what does that get you? Bragging rights?

Do you really rest your laurels on what we did 20 years ago?

Who gives a shit about that.

This team is fucking doomed for the next 10-15 years - AT LEAST.

Which means by the time Jerry Jones dies, it'll have been like 30 years since we were in a Super Bowl.

Let that marinate for a minute.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Right, and we didn't win any superbowls for 15 years after we the 2nd one under Landry, and the team hit rock bottom in 88/89. They weren't really even competitive for a super bowl for most of the 80's.

If someone other than Jones had bought the team, good chance Jimmy never would have been HC. And we don't win those super bowls.

I get what you are saying, but as bad as Jones is there are fans who have NEVER had a real winner. Look at teams like the Browns, Lions & Jaguars. Not only are they mediocre most of the time, but they've even been to a super bowl, let alone won one. Plenty of teams also maybe had one fluke season and maybe got to a super bowl, but never won one.

Reaction score
Imagine how many Super Bowls we could have won under Landry had he not lost damn near every big game he coached in.

Reaction score
Jags have only been around 20 years. You can't lump them in with the Browns and Lions and their 70 years of failure. Yet.

Top Bottom