C

Cr122

How Dez Bryant's debut stacked up to others in Cowboys' history
Posted at 9:02 AM on Tue., Sep. 14, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer / Reporter Bio | E-mail | News tips

Dez Bryant's debut was only OK even if he tied a Cowboys' rookie record with eight catches.

The eight grabs went for only 56 yards. He was big on the last drive with catches of 15 and 13 yards to get it going. Tony Romo threw him several "smoke" throws, which come when the corner is playing off coverage, but he couldn't shake the tacklers.

He was targeted a team-high 12 times. After missing the entire preseason, did it seem a little odd that they were going to Bryant that often? I didn't think so. Neither did Wade Phillips.

"His reads took him to Dez," Phillips said. "I think he caught eight passes. The guy, I thought, performed well for his first game for almost two years (actually one) ... I think he was just a part of the game and it wasn't too big for him and Tony thought he was open and threw to him."

Now on to the eight catches. Bob Hayes had eight against Philadelphia on Oct. 10, 1965 and Jason Witten had eight against Miami on Nov. 27, 2003. Hayes had 177 yards. Witten had 58.

How did Michael Irvin and Hayes, the team's two Hall of Fame wide receivers, do in their openers?

Irvin - three catches, 73 yards, one touchdown at Pittsburgh, Sept. 4, 1988
Hayes - two catches, 81 yards, one touchdown vs. NY Giants, Sept. 19, 1965

Reaction score
You have to target your best players . . . and I think Dez is one of our best players.

I would've liked to have seen Witten and Jones get more looks as well.

C

Cr122

You have to target your best players . . . and I think Dez is one of our best players.

I would've liked to have seen Witten and Jones get more looks as well.

Most definitely, Austin,Bryant and Witten are the weapons in the passing game.

Can't cover them all, I just ask for our offensive line to protect Romo, give him some time in the pocket.

Plymkr

Reaction score
Very impressed with Dez. I hope he can get in the endzone this weekend. I hope they all do.

C

Cr122

Very impressed with Dez. I hope he can get in the endzone this weekend. I hope they all do.

I think Dez scores this weekend.

I'm going with 7 catches for 85 yards and a touchdown.

C

Cr122

Dez will prove his worth by season's end. No more Roy after this year.....

You would think, because you know Jerry won't pay three WR's big time money after this year.

Miles and Bryant will be our one and two, no way we pay for a third.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
All these weapons just gioes to show Garrett's inability to use them. I'm tired opf seeinf OCs with far LESS do much MORE.

Top Bottom