Reaction score
The NCAA has made the decision not to enter a new contract for the license of its name and logo for the EA Sports NCAA Football video game. The current contract expires in June 2014, but our timing is based on the need to provide EA notice for future planning. As a result, the NCAA Football 2014 video game will be the last to include the NCAA’s name and logo. We are confident in our legal position regarding the use of our trademarks in video games. But given the current business climate and costs of litigation, we determined participating in this game is not in the best interests of the NCAA.

The NCAA has never licensed the use of current student-athlete names, images or likenesses to EA. The NCAA has no involvement in licenses between EA and former student-athletes. Member colleges and universities license their own trademarks and other intellectual property for the video game. They will have to independently decide whether to continue those business arrangements in the future.

------------------

Wow. I've always thought NCAA was better than Madden, as far as gameplay and aesthtetics. Loved importing draft classes into Madden too.

Kinda sucks, but then again, I doubt I'll end up buying a PS4 anyways so this might not even affect me anyways.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Wow. I've always thought NCAA was better than Madden, as far as gameplay and aesthtetics. Loved importing draft classes into Madden too.

My favorite aspect of it as well.

I could always get guys like Ndamukong Suh and Eric Berry in the 4th round so drafting was always easy. I have no idea why Jerry struggles with it so much.

Reaction score
I also liked creating prospects. I'd create the guy who was 99s' on everything (way I was raised).

I'd make a DT that was 6'11", 400lbs, but maxed out rating on speed/strenght, jumping, etc.

:lol

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I also liked creating prospects. I'd create the guy who was 99s' on everything (way I was raised).

I'd make a DT that was 6'11", 400lbs, but maxed out rating on speed/strenght, jumping, etc.

:lol

I have created both Usain Bolt and LeBron James as WR's for Romo. Bolt sucked, dropped everything.

Reaction score
I used to play ESpn 2k for years and just keep updating the roster accordingly. I was always way better at properly rating the cowboys than them anyway.

Problem is after awhile you'd have like a derpy Rob pettiti as your Tyron smith and all these other shitty players you're reminded of

Reaction score
Do you work at the Apple store?

I went to the mall the other day and walked past the Apple Store which was absolutely packed and there were about 20 employees in there and they all looked like the stereotypical hipster. Tight pants. Thick rimmed glasses. Shaggy haircuts.

Reaction score
I haven't picked up a new video game series in like 10 years. I just don't give a shit anymore.

I'm all in on that new gta though.

Reaction score
Ed O'Bannon has been suing the NCAA/EA... lawsuit has been going on for years. The rough premise of it is the NCAA has given licenses to EA to produce video games that include schools, mascots, numbers of players, physical characteristics of players, etc.

I know when I used to play NCAA football, when I picked a team I would go in and literally edit the roster to put the names of my teams players in. You could easily tell who 90% of the players were if you had a print out of the roster. They put the same height, weight, skin color, etc. of the real life player.

So O'Bannon (and others, it's a class action suit), sued them saying they were using his likeness without compensation.

It's highly hypocritical of the NCAA. They rake in the dollars on these players while they're in school, but they won't sell jerseys with the players' names on them (or any other merchandise), because they would have to pay the players. They can't do that, because the players wouldn't be "amateurs" as defined by the NCAA. Yet, they license the likeness of these players on video games.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The NCAA isn't making the game, though.

I guess they could pull licensing if they felt the characters that EA builds were too similar to real life but that'd be just bullshit all around.

The whole situation just seems like bullshit. The NCAA is supposed to police to what extent character likeness is acceptable? That's just ridiculous if you ask me.

Reaction score
The NCAA gives a license to EA to do all of that stuff. If the NCAA weren't authorizing it, then there would never have been a game.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The NCAA gives a license to EA to do all of that stuff. If the NCAA weren't authorizing it, then there would never have been a game.

I'm aware of that, I just think the idea that the NCAA should police the extent of character likeness in order to preemptively prevent bullshit lawsuits in the future is just ridiculous.

Reaction score
You're acting like the NCAA didn't know that EA was using the positions, numbers, heights, weights and skill ratings of the players. They knew. They didn't have to "police it," they authorized it. Hell, I'm sure it is a term of the license, and the NCAA made additional money because of it.

Top Bottom