superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I've always been baffled by Republicans' steadfast demands to weaken the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in its cradle. Their chief tactic: repeatedly trying to block President Obama's choice of former Ohio Attorney General Richard Cordray - or anyone else - as its director unless Democrats agree to amend the Dodd-Frank provisions establishing it.

Yesterday, in a Senate Banking Committee exchange captured in this video (below), Sen. Elizabeth Warren took aim at that strange campaign, challenging various claims that the CFPB somehow has sinister powers beyond that of other financial regulators. It's five minutes of video worth watching. Warren, of course, is the former law professor who conceived the idea of a new consumer-protection agency and persuaded Obama to insist on its broad authority and independence.

Warren called Cordray "an open book," and questioned assertions made by the agency's foes, including the 43 Senate Republicans vowing yet again to block anyone from the post. Among their demands: that the single director be replaced by a commission, a form of governance typically more subject to political influence, and that the agency's funding be put under Congress' control - unlike that of other financial regulators.

"I think that the delay in getting him confirmed is bad for consumers, it's bad for small banks, it's bad for credit unions, it's bad for anyone trying to offer an honest product in an honest market," Warren said. "The American people deserve a Congress that worries less about helping big banks and more about helping regular people who have been cheated on mortgages, on credit cards, on student loans, on credit reports."

Obama, you may recall, bypassed the Senate after a similar filibuster in 2011. But with court challenges looming to his recess appointments, he's trying again now that the CFPB has a growing track record as a forceful but measured voice for consumer protection. Among its early achievements, www.ConsumerFinance.gov is now a place where individuals can go to register complaints against a credit-card issuer or a credit reporting agency and expect to get an actual response.

So let's get this straight. We're still struggling through the aftermath of a financial crisis triggered in large part by misguided consumer lending - unrestrained subprime mortgages and loan flipping, "liar loans," and all the rest - that could have been slowed or stopped by better consumer protection. And the Senate GOP wants to undo what so far stands as Dodd-Frank's biggest lasting achievement?

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...ver-filibuster-of-Cordray-.html#ixzz2Ne74P3Za

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Big fan of warren.

Don't like democrats or republicans, but I am a big fan of warren.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Big fan of warren.

Yup.

Did you read any of Taibbi's blog recently about the grilling by the senate of JP Morgan Chase? Some balls on these people. Made me think of discussions we've had here where certain idiots are fond of blaming the financial crisis on everyday joe's with 200k mortgages while banks are playing roulette with billions of dollars and then lying about it to regulators when they start losing money. Very interesting reads.

And of course we see here, where Warren was passed over for this position because (although she is the driving force behind this regulation) she is too outspoken, Republicans still want to block the agency from having a head to keep it as powerless as possible to protect their buddies.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Have not read it yet. Will do though.

Taibbi's article on bank if America was awesome last year.

Guy is awesome.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Bob if you don't know what we're talking about you do have the option of just not commenting.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Big fan of warren.

Isn't she the same retarded bitch that believes minimum wage should be $22 an hour? She is dumber than little spunk and apparently is completely clueless about how all the money that the government takes and spends is created.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corne...-why-isnt-minimum-wage-22-hour-eliana-johnson

After Dodd and Frank lied over and over about how they fucked up Fannie and Freddie, can we really trust a tard like Warren that does not even have a basic understanding of economics? Not sure why the jackass party keeps pushing their biggest jackasses to the front.

high-cheekbones-elizabeth-warren-indians-mass-senate-politics-1336071192.jpg

warren-china.jpg

Last edited:

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Holy cow just saw this.

Jbond is off the reservation. I thought dbair was ignorant, holy cow.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Holy cow just saw this.

Jbond is off the reservation. I thought dbair was ignorant, holy cow.

Warren was kicked off the reservation too....by the real indians. She is fucking fruit loop that will lie about anything. LOL...high cheekbones....Dems crack me up.

So you think it is OK to defruad colleges by lying about your heritage? Hell, I should have told them I am a half black gay indian. That would have gotten me a couple of grants. Cheat, lie, and steal...The democrat way!

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score

In a hearing of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions last week on “indexing the minimum wage,” Massachusetts senator Elizabeth Warren inquired of University of Massachusetts professor economics Arindrajit Dube, “If we started in 1960, and we said that, as productivity goes up — that is, as workers are producing more — then the minimum wage is going to go up the same. And, if that were the case, the minimum wage today would be about $22 an hour. So, my question, Mr. Dube, is what happened to the other $14.75?”

Where did the $14.75 go? LOL

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Warren was kicked off the reservation too....by the real indians. She is fucking fruit loop that will lie about anything. LOL...high cheekbones....Dems crack me up.

So you think it is OK to defruad colleges by lying about your heritage? Hell, I should have told them I am a half black gay indian. That would have gotten me a couple of grants. Cheat, lie, and steal...The democrat way!

I think black gay Indians are cool.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
In a hearing of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions last week on “indexing the minimum wage,” Massachusetts senator Elizabeth Warren inquired of University of Massachusetts professor economics Arindrajit Dube, “If we started in 1960, and we said that, as productivity goes up — that is, as workers are producing more — then the minimum wage is going to go up the same. And, if that were the case, the minimum wage today would be about $22 an hour. So, my question, Mr. Dube, is what happened to the other $14.75?”

Where did the $14.75 go? LOL

She was making a point about how far corporate earnings and worker profitability have outpaced wages.

Her proposal (if you had bothered reading anything) is for a minimum wage of $10.10 an hour.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
She was making a point about how far corporate earnings and worker profitability have outpaced wages.

Her proposal (if you had bothered reading anything) is for a minimum wage of $10.10 an hour.

great plan to get a bunch of people fired. She is an idiot.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Reading?

I think u mean repeating, u know whatever Fox News, beck, Limbaugh etc tell these types.

That is why I always giggle a little when they start the "u will do whatever they tell u to" bit.

Funny stuff.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
great plan to get a bunch of people fired. She is an idiot.

Did you know that Australia's minimum wage is 15 dollars an hour, and their people enjoy one of the highest standards of living in the world?

Top Bottom