dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
One of the reasons I had thought about "retiring" for the remainder of the season is there just wasnt much to say anymore. The team is poorly coached and prepared on a weekly basis. The same players constantly make the same mistakes, and there is never a response from our staff in terms of benching or at least reduced playing time. (I guess the one exception would be replacing Dez with Dwayne Harris on punt returns) The only reason personnel changes are ever made is due to injury.

The Browns game in week 10 was just like some of other games this year, games like week 3 vs Tampa or at Carolina for instance. Its SSDD every week with this team. There's been no improvement from week one till now by any area of the team, save maybe for Harris on returns and the continued development at WR by Dez. The OL isnt better, its worse. The pass rush isnt better, its worse. The running game isnt better, its worse. The overall defense isnt any better, its worse. The offense as a whole isnt better, its worse. I guess you could look at special teams as a whole and say its improved from early in the year, but otherwise its been a massive display of poor coaching and underachievement.

Amazingly in spite of this, the team has a chance to win the division because the Giants arnt exactly lighting things up either. In fact if we beat Washington Thursday (which is a toss up IMO) and the Giants lose at home Sunday night vs Green Bay (likely) then we'd be tied for first, and essentially in first place by virtue of a better division record.

1) I know Romo's pass protection has been shaky at best most weeks, and it was pretty bad vs Cleveland the other day. But he is not having a good year. I dont know if he is playing through some undisclosed injury (which wouldnt be a shock considering some of the hits he's taken) but he is not throwing the ball anywhere near as well as past years. He throws more "WTF" balls than I've seen from him since very early in his career, before he was a starter. Alot of floaters or ducks, and he is missing more downfield throws than ever before. His comp% itself looks good, but it doesnt tell the story of how many balls were poorly thrown and still caught, or the fact that our offense seems to be more dink and dunk more now than years past. Barring an unexpected playoff run, I dont think I'd offer Romo a contract extension beyond his current one (which ends after next season). In fact if they flop and miss the playoffs, I'd support them trying to trade Romo in the offseason, where they would almost assuredly find a market for him and get some value in return. We have Kyle Orton under contract for two more years and he can start, and they could draft the long term replacement this year or next year.

2) Doug Free at his best was nowhere near as Roy Williams (SS) at his best, but there are some similarities to how they both just seemingly "lost it" almost over night. Free just cant play, period. He's as bad as it gets at RT now and has regressed as much as any player we've had since RW. Free was good the 2nd half of 2009 at RT and he did have a very good year at LT in 2010. But he was putrid last year and is even worse this year. He's a guy that most staffs would have probably benched weeks ago, but not ours. Mediocrity is ok here.

3) Bernadeau is another guy who just cant play. He's not much of a run blocker and is terrible in pass protection. He should have been replaced at halftime last week (or at least moved back to RG, where he stinks but is considerably better than Dockery, who was awful) with Kowalski, but the staff apparently didnt even consider it. More epic fail by Garrett and co.

4) Amazingly, despite missing a majority of the season now (over 5 1/2 games of the 10 played) DeMarco Murray is STILL the teams leading rusher. How bad is the run game? We're averaging a paltry 83.1 yds per game and only 3.6 yds per rush. We only have 3 runs in 10 games over 20 yds. We rank 29th in the league in yds rushing per game (only 36 yds out of last) and rank last in rushes over 20 yds. We also rank near the bottom in rushing tds. The 1989 Cowboys team was arguably the worst in team history, and even they averaged almost 90 yds per game and 4.0 yds per rush, despite being behind early and often. Paul Palmer was our leading rusher that yr, with just over 400 yds rushing. THIS team runs the ball worse than THAT team did.

5) Assuming RGIII starts both games against us, and that Nick Foles may start the week after Thanksgiving, we will have played a total of 6 games (am counting the other Eagles game too, as Foles played most of it) vs rookie QB's this year. Foles (2), Griffin (2), Wilson and Breedon. Two more will be against 2nd year QB's (Newton and Dalton). Good teams would have eaten this alive, but we lost badly at Seattle, struggled in Philly till late and should have probably lost to an awful Cleveland team Sunday.

6) Its not totally Cowboy related, but Niners OLB Aldon Smith is turning into a real stud as a pass rusher. Last night the Niners had 6 sacks on Jason Campbell, and Smith had 5 1/2 of them by himself. He now has 15 for the season. He has 9 1/2 in the last 3 games. he also forced two fumbles last night. I'm very impressed with this kid.

Most probably dont remember, but Smith was the "sleeper" pick that some of the Cowboy pundits talked about on draft day last year. Most had us taking Tyron Smith or JJ Watt, but several reporters said the Cowboy scouts loved Smith. I'm still glad we drafted Tyron Smith and he was the smart pick, but a Ware/A Smith pairing at OLB would have potentially been devastating for opposing QB's, even with an incompetent lard ass like Ryan running the D.

7) Jason Witten has 1 td this year, and it was from Kyle Orton at the end of the blowout Bears loss. Unbelievable. And why ahsnt the team tried to get rookie James Hanna more involved? His size and speed is unmatched by any of our other TE's and showed in preseason that he can get downfield and be a mismatch for LB's and safeties, yet I bet he's run 4 routes on offense all year. John Phillips is a try hard guy who catches whatever he gets close to, but he has no speed and really isnt much of a blocker. But he gets almost all the snaps as the 2nd TE and Hanna rarely sees the field. For a team that struggles so much to make big plays, here's another area where the coaching staff has failed to utilize whats already on the roster.

8) Its hard to say what this team will do on a week to week basis, but playing poorly has become something of an expectation because they have done it every week since week one at NYG. I wouldnt be surprised if we win the next two games to get to 7-5 (exactly where were were last yr after 12 games) but I do expect them to lose at least the next 3 after that, and likely all 4 remaining games. If we finish 7-9 or worse, I dont see how Jason Garrett and this staff gets another year. In fact the only way I think he is safe is if they make the playoffs.

9) In a long season if disappointment, I do see a number of good young players here. I think Claiborne is gonna be good. Bruce Carter is tremendous and with him and Lee next to each other we should be set for years at ILB with two really high quality guys. I know alot of people piled on Dez, but he is really starting to get it on the field and becoming a matchup that most DB's cant handle one on one. If Murray can ever stay healthy, he's a potential real star. Tyron Smith is gonna be really good. I think Josh Brent has really shown well this year. Dan Bailey is as good a kicker as there is in the NFL. And Dwayne Harris is showing real potential as a PR/3rd/4th WR.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Great write up.

I agree completely about being frustrated with the lack of getting Hanna some snaps. I'd throw Beasley into that mix as well, although he is getting some playing time the last game or two. It would seem if your line can't protect - and ours sure as hell can not - then why wouldn't you want to get a quick guy like Beasley on the field to try and get open quickly?

And about benching/replacing Olineman... Free needs to be benched. If you can't do it this week because of Smith's injury, then do it when Smith comes back and give Parnell a look the rest of the year.

Bernadeau is a flop. Plain and simple. That was a head scratching signing and he has done nothing - NOTHING - to warrant playing time. Worst part is, there's a better plug in guard available right now in Free Agency (Holland) that the team won't sign because Holland stood his ground in the offseason and wanting playing time incentives in his contract. So instead of the team swallowing it's pride and saying "Our bad, here you go" we continue to throw a horrible offensive line week in and week out in front of Romo.

I'm not the least bit convinced that we're going to move on from either player after the season. I could be wrong. I' hope I'm wrong. But I really see the Cowboys bringing both back, with Jerry telling everyone whenever there's a microphone around how they're good players and they'll get it their game right during the off season. Wink nod grin.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
a lot of good points

however, i feel like we play the exact same game every week...so we are very consistent and you know what to expect with these guys

its just not the product we want to see

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
a lot of good points

however, i feel like we play the exact same game every week...so we are very consistent and you know what to expect with these guys

its just not the product we want to see

If this was what they were ultimately capable of, I'd be fine with it.

The problem for me is they should be better than this, and arnt.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
7) Jason Witten has 1 td this year, and it was from Kyle Orton at the end of the blowout Bears loss. Unbelievable. And why ahsnt the team tried to get rookie James Hanna more involved? His size and speed is unmatched by any of our other TE's and showed in preseason that he can get downfield and be a mismatch for LB's and safeties, yet I bet he's run 4 routes on offense all year. John Phillips is a try hard guy who catches whatever he gets close to, but he has no speed and really isnt much of a blocker. But he gets almost all the snaps as the 2nd TE and Hanna rarely sees the field. For a team that struggles so much to make big plays, here's another area where the coaching staff has failed to utilize whats already on the roster.

Same crap that Wade used to do.

dbair1967 said:
8) Its hard to say what this team will do on a week to week basis, but playing poorly has become something of an expectation because they have done it every week since week one at NYG. I wouldnt be surprised if we win the next two games to get to 7-5 (exactly where were were last yr after 12 games) but I do expect them to lose at least the next 3 after that, and likely all 4 remaining games. If we finish 7-9 or worse, I dont see how Jason Garrett and this staff gets another year. In fact the only way I think he is safe is if they make the playoffs.

I don't want to make the playoffs. We're not a good team and we don't deserve to make the playoffs. If we make the playoffs... we're going to get our asses handed to us. Making the playoffs would be the worse thing to happen to this team, because that would only make Jerry all the more entrenched on keeping Garrett and Co., Free, Bernadau, etc.

You mentioned as to how the offense, ST, and defense are worse from week 1 against the Giants... HELL! Go back further than that. They are all worse from when Wade was fired.

Reaction score
You named a number of spots that haven’t gotten better, like the running game. Well no shit, you are missing your starting running back and the backup has been banged up too. You have to factor in injuries with regards to getting better or worse.

I think when you look at the Cowboys this season, you have to look at the whole NFL and the quality of teams this season. I just think teams are not very good. I don’t know if it has anything to do with the new collective bargaining rules, but teams are bad. These same Redskins couldn’t beat the Panthers, who i thought were bad. The Bucs also looked like a bad team against the Cowboys, but kicked the shit out of the Chargers and are on a roll. Why i don’t understand the extreme doom and gloom. Cowboys are a bad team playing in a league full of bad teams.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't want to make the playoffs. We're not a good team and we don't deserve to make the playoffs. If we make the playoffs... we're going to get our asses handed to us. Making the playoffs would be the worse thing to happen to this team, because that would only make Jerry all the more entrenched on keeping Garrett and Co., Free, Bernadau, etc.

I still want them to win and make the playoffs. If they get in from where they are now, it'll be because they earned it which is fine. There really arnt any teams they cant match up against in the NFC or AFC, the problem is they cant put together 60 minutes of good football on offense and defense at the same time. That said, I dont see them making the playoffs.

... HELL! Go back further than that. They are all worse from when Wade was fired.

I think the team was worse then, and the talent has been upgraded quite a bit in some areas since that day. We were 1-7 and getting pasted weekly then.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
Excellent writeup. I'm not sure why this year as opposed to the last 25 that the passion for this team is dicipating. I find myself not as interested with this team anymore. I watch the games but I dont lose sleep over them anymore. Its a result of what you wrote about. How many years can we see the exact same product on the field. Penalties, Mental Mistakes, Turnovers. What has changed to give us any hope.
We struck gold when Romo fell into our laps. Getting a franchise QB undrafted, and we haven't done a thing to protect him or give him the necessary tools to win. Wheter it be a competant online, receivers that catch the ball when it counts, or a defense that can hold a lead.
Romo is not perfect by any means, but he is a top 10 QB in this league whether you like him or not and his window is closing very quickly.

Think of how a QB like Eli, Brady, or Manning would do wih the current OLINE. They are superior players to Romo but the certainly dont have the mobility or creativeness he does. They wouldnt be succesful with our team

I hate Jerry and Bob Sacamano

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You named a number of spots that haven’t gotten better, like the running game. Well no shit, you are missing your starting running back and the backup has been banged up too. You have to factor in injuries with regards to getting better or worse.

The running game wasnt any good in weeks 2-4 either, and Murray was healthy then. The running game has been bad, the blocking is bad. Regardless of who runs it, you should be able to have some success if the OL does its job. It doesnt.

I think when you look at the Cowboys this season, you have to look at the whole NFL and the quality of teams this season. I just think teams are not very good. I don’t know if it has anything to do with the new collective bargaining rules, but teams are bad. These same Redskins couldn’t beat the Panthers, who i thought were bad. The Bucs also looked like a bad team against the Cowboys, but kicked the shit out of the Chargers and are on a roll. Why i don’t understand the extreme doom and gloom. Cowboys are a bad team playing in a league full of bad teams.

I agree with this, and its why I still want us to make the playoffs. If they get in and somehow started clicking, they have enough good players (if they could get healthy) that they could make a run.

That said, I just dont see it with this years team.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score

That is true but the difference for this years team is you see the same problems this year than you have the last 7 years from us

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think the team was worse then, and the talent has been upgraded quite a bit in some areas since that day. We were 1-7 and getting pasted weekly then.

I should have clarified. Sorry. Despite our record and the 1-7 back then... I think the coaching is worse.

Reaction score
I think if Bob Griffin comes in here on Turkey Day and kills the Boys, I think this team will go into a full free fall to the bottom and Ginger will be GONE !!!

But the Skin defense won't cooperate...

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good post dbair.

Agree with pretty much everyone in the thread.

One thing that surprises me is how steadily mediocre-to-bad we've played every week. It's the 2012 NFL where crazy things happen every week, but except for the opening day game, we just play the same bad football every week. The Seattle, Tampa, Carolina, second Giants game were all the same, it's just that if we play a bad team we barely win. With all our limitations, I'm still surprised we haven't had a game or two where everything comes together and we blow out a bad team. Maybe that's Thursday?

Hate to say it but I'm almost not sure if I want to win a terrible division and give more false hope, either. Do we really want to be the 2010 Seahawks that are a bad team that wins a terrible division? Even though we do always want to beat our rivals, it's hard to believe the NFCE can be this awful. Like Laz said, I'm afraid that would just make Jerry feel empowered that his way and his pet coach are working when it's really just a mirage.

One more thing, I wonder if Dez isn't about to really bust out and tear things up the way it sounded like he was doing in camp. He'll always be mistake prone, but he also has the ability to kill CBs if Romo gets a little more trust in him, which might have started Sunday.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hate to say it but I'm almost not sure if I want to win a terrible division and give more false hope, either. Do we really want to be the 2010 Seahawks that are a bad team that wins a terrible division? Even though we do always want to beat our rivals, it's hard to believe the NFCE can be this awful. Like Laz said, I'm afraid that would just make Jerry feel empowered that his way and his pet coach are working when it's really just a mirage.

I guess it would depend on how we won the division and what we did once we got there. If we win 4 or 5 more games the same way we've won most of our others, and get smoked in the playoffs then I definitely agree with you, it wasnt worth it.

On the other hand, if they somehow turned it around and started playing well, and made some noise in the postseason that would be a positive. Unfortunately I just dont see it with this group.

I think 6-10, 7-9 or 8-8 is where we will end up, and Garrett and this entire staff will be fired.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm with you. I actually hope the Giants don't go in the tank and the Skins pick it up the rest of the year. Not win out or anything, but just post respectable records. I really don't want to see this proud division turn into the NFC West that was an embarrassment all those years. Then if we won it would actually mean something. (Though I still want Garrett gone for the longer-term better health of the team.)

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I guess it would depend on how we won the division and what we did once we got there. If we win 4 or 5 more games the same way we've won most of our others, and get smoked in the playoffs then I definitely agree with you, it wasnt worth it.

On the other hand, if they somehow turned it around and started playing well, and made some noise in the postseason that would be a positive. Unfortunately I just dont see it with this group.

I think 6-10, 7-9 or 8-8 is where we will end up, and Garrett and this entire staff will be fired.

From your mouth to God's ears. Or in this case... from your fingertips to God's eyes.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't see the point of making the playoffs if we do so at the expense of patsies. It's like Kramer being proud of himself for dominating a bunch of little kids in karate class. In 1990, we had the chance to get in with an embarrassing 7-9 record, but we were a young team trying to turn the corner after many years in the wilderness. In other words, the arrow was pointing up. Even if we sneak in, I don't get the same sense in 2012.

Does anyone else think that Doug Free has a weird physique? He appears to be bottom heavy or something, like a human weeble.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't see the point of making the playoffs if we do so at the expense of patsies. It's like Kramer being proud of himself for dominating a bunch of little kids in karate class. In 1990, we had the chance to get in with an embarrassing 7-9 record, but we were a young team trying to turn the corner after many years in the wilderness. In other words, the arrow was pointing up. Even if we sneak in, I don't get the same sense in 2012.

Does anyone else think that Doug Free has a weird physique? He appears to be bottom heavy or something, like a human weeble.

i agree and i disagree..i mean - do you think the teams who have 2 more wins than us have been doing it vs great opponents week in and week out? not exactly

BUT - if we look pathetic every single week, like we have been for the last 9 games (save for opening night) then you are right

Top Bottom