C

Cr122

Dez Bryant to be cleared to practice; has chance of playing vs. Miami

12:34 AM CDT on Sunday, August 29, 2010

HOUSTON – Rookie wide receiver Dez Bryant will be cleared to practice this week, and owner and general manager Jerry Jones left open a sliver of a chance the rookie wideout could play Thursday against Miami.

"He'll be able to play. Physically he will be ready to go," Jones said. "It's a question of if it's worth some of the risk. If we end up playing our regulars, then that might make a difference. We might have thought differently if he had been out there without a full set of our players, but that might be something we'd consider since there's a chance our starters are out there."

A few hours before Saturday's game against Houston, Bryant tested his high right ankle sprain, sprinting and cutting and catching passes from quarterback Stephen McGee under the watchful eye of associate athletic trainer Britt Brown. Bryant also caught some Mat McBriar punts.

Last Thursday, Bryant ran a handful of routes with McGee before the session was pulled back to involve only him and wide receivers coach Ray Sherman.

The Cowboys are off today, so Bryant, will have a day to see how he feels after the pregame work. He spent two weeks in a protective boot and has picked up his rehab in the last week with some running and resistance training in practices.

"I'm way past that," Bryant said of the day-after soreness. "I'm just ready for them to give me the go call to let me play football again. That's it."

Bryant said he will let the medical staff make the final call on his availability.

"If it was my decision, I'd play," Bryant said, "but I'm going to do whatever they tell me to do. If it's the best for me not to play, I won't be playing. If they need me, I'll play."

Todd Archer

• • •

Top Bottom