dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jimmy: Don't blame Jerry for mid-dynasty divorce

August, 30, 2012
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

DALLAS -- A lot of folks will forever blame Jerry Jones (and his ego) for the death of the Cowboys’ 1990s dynasty.

That shouldn’t be so, according to Jimmy Johnson.

The perception is that Jones pushed Johnson out of Valley Ranch after the Cowboys won back-to-back Super Bowls because the owner/general manager wanted a bigger share of the spotlight. Johnson insists that isn’t the reality.

“I’d done my deal and needed to move on,” Johnson said during Wednesday’s PwC-SMU Athletic Forum luncheon. “Jerry Jones catches more abuse -- he doesn’t deserve abuse. I was going to south Florida.”

Johnson described leaving Dallas as the most difficult decision of his career. He is adamant, however, that it was his decision to walk away after the Cowboys won Super Bowl XXVIII.

“It’s something I had to do,” Johnson said, adding that he was consumed with coaching and essentially an absentee father for his five years in Dallas. “I knew I was going to do it, but I had to do it. Sometimes you’ve got things you’ve got to do.

“It had nothing to do with anybody or anything. It was just me. I had done my job. For five years, I lived (at the facility). I didn’t have a life.”

Not that there wasn’t tension between Johnson and Jones, the former roommates during their days as offensive guards on Arkansas’ 1964 national championship team.

Jones’ quote about 500 coaches being capable of winning a Super Bowl with those Cowboys -- a point proven with the hiring of Barry Switzer -- will live on in infamy. But that’s all water under the bridge.

Jerry has said that he would seriously consider Johnson for the Ring of Honor, although no inductions are planned this season. Jimmy admits that he roots for the Cowboys from the Fox NFL studios in Los Angeles.

“Nothing would make me happier than to see him get another ring this year,” Johnson said. “I’d love to see that.”

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Jimmy has calmed way down over the years. Watch him in interviews after it happened or during his first stint on the Fox pre-game show. Different story.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Please. Jerry and Jimmy have declared a truce in public for years. Go to 15:46 of this vid for what it was really like back then. Shit gets real.

[video=youtube;gcUPm0-HC1Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcUPm0-HC1Y[/video]

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It was both of them for sure.

But Jimmy has said this for years. I don't know why people don't want to believe it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
My personal feeling is both are responsible. I do think Jimmy wanted to live in Miami/Keys all along and had eyed the Miami job for years. He loved living there when he was coach at U Miami and knew Shula wasnt long for this world in 1993.

Jerry had his ego problem and Jimmy had his eye on what he considered a prettier girl.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You guys are right. It had nothing to do with Jerry's meddling or constant need for credit.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
It started when Jerry decided that he wanted to have a say in the way our team was set up and Jimmy basically laughed in his face.

It ruffled Jerry's ego badly.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
It started when Jerry decided that he wanted to have a say in the way our team was set up and Jimmy basically laughed in his face.

It ruffled Jerry's ego badly.

To this day, some don't believe that Jimmy was fired. As for the Jacksonville/Miami angle, you don't leave your wife for another woman if things are good at home, and things weren't good at home due to Jerry.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
To this day, some don't believe that Jimmy was fired. As for the Jacksonville/Miami angle, you don't leave your wife for another woman if things are good at home, and things weren't good at home due to Jerry.

Every Cowboy fan who gets caught up in the Jerry/Jimmy dynamic should read Boys Will Be Boys.

Reaction score
Oh it was definitely all Jerry. And he has gone out of his way to prove his incompetent ever since that time.

Jimmy had an ego, but he earned that right with all of his coaching success.

Even though Jerry has run this team into the ground since that time, he manages to make millions each month and sell out his stadium weekly, so he came out a winner in the end.

The only losers here have been the fans. Yippee.

silver

Cheerleader
Reaction score
I agree with Jimmy that it was time. He'd lost his assistants/buddies to head coaching gigs somewhere else and I guess he didn't want to go tru the grind anymore. His edge coming in from college was that he knew all of the blue shippers coming out of college from '89 to '93 since he recruited or scouted most of them. As you can see his aim wasn't so true during his Miami Dolphins gig.

Top Bottom