bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
Stephen Jones not worried about errant snaps, CB injuries

Stephen Jones, Dallas Cowboys director of player personnel, said he is not ready to panic about his team’s depth at center despite watching Tuesday’s afternoon practice break down frequently with bad snaps involving reserve centers David Arkin and Harland Gunn.

Late in the workout, starting center Phil Costa was mixed into repetitions with the second- and third-team units to keep the ball off the ground. At one point, the Cowboys fumbled three straight snaps. It happened on back-to-back plays at another point.

But Jones said he is “not frustrated yet” by the breakdowns at center. Nor is he concerned about having two cornerbacks (Morris Claiborne, Mike Jenkins) out with injuries in camp. Jenkins’ shoulder surgery could put his availability for the season opener in jeopardy. Only if it reaches that point, said Jones, will he become concerned.

Asked when frustration sets in, Jones said: “When the season gets here and guys aren’t playing ... We’re not worried about Mo (out with a knee sprain). He’ll be fine.”

In terms of the center issues, Jones said he reserves the right to bring in a veteran center at a later date. But he believes the snapping problem will disappear once Mackenzy Bernadeau, who returned to practice today after overcoming hip and knee ailments, is up to speed. The Cowboys list Bernadeau as their starting right guard but he has played center in pre-season games the past four years with Carolina.

“At some point, we’ll put the ball in Bernardeau’s hands. He’s done it before. It’s not totally foreign to him,” Jones said.

Jones said he team is being conservative with Jay Ratliff’s foot injury (plantar fasciitis) and the Cowboys are “not worried (one) bit” about whether he will be ready for the regular-season opener Sept. 5 against the New York Giants.

_ Jimmy Burch

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
No, Decastro blows up this year. Even if Morris is the next coming and that's all we will hear about is how great blocker Decastro is and what could have been.

Reaction score
I guess we're waiting on other roster cuts? I don't see why we can't actually get someone in here who can snap the ball now. If we can pick someone up at roster cuts, then just cut the guy we pick up now.

Middy said it, it's maddening... It's gone past the point of laughable, do something to fix the fucking problem already.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
No, Decastro blows up this year. Even if Morris is the next coming and that's all we will hear about is how great blocker Decastro is and what could have been.

So you would have rather taken DeCastro instead of Claiborne?

Reaction score
My problem is that center was a huge issue last season and appears to be again this season. The guy is suppose to be the quarterback of the offensive line, the “brains” behind the pre-snap blocking reads. If an offense can’t get snap right, then everything else is already fucked.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
The problem is that even if all the guys were healthy, we still have huge question marks on the offensive line. The same problems we had last year and did very little to improve it. PLease don't bring up Bernadeau and Livings. They were part time players if that for there respected teams

Reaction score
Parcells and Jimmy would have both sent Costa packing after the first errant snap. This is all deja vu.

And I'm glad that Stephen is the one saying he can tolerate these mistakes. Sure proves that this is Ginger's team...

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I wonder if the plan has always been the Frenchman at center.

That's what it sounds like.

Reaction score
The indifference is maddening.

That's exactly how I feel about it.

The problem is that even if all the guys were healthy, we still have huge question marks on the offensive line. The same problems we had last year and did very little to improve it. PLease don't bring up Bernadeau and Livings. They were part time players if that for there respected teams

Absolutely correct.

I wonder if the plan has always been the Frenchman at center.

And why not? After all, the position isn't "totally foreign to him.”

Apparently that's the criterion for starting at Center. You are good to go so long as the position isn't totally foreign to you.

Reaction score
Well, at least this team has shown an uncanny ability to overcome shortcomings and overachieve.

:howdy

Reaction score
They're digging Romo a grave and pissing all over it at this point.

It's not like they're completely inept. If they were able to cut Newman immediately, I don't get why they're too dumb to realize that the same quality of player is scattered all over the oline.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Stephen Jones isn't going to validate anything one way or the other, IMO.

It doesn't surprise me that he's not concerned. Wtf does he know about anything other than good wine and what the inside of his Dad's ass looks like?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Article should have read..

After checking merchandise sales, Stephen Jones not worried about errant snaps, CB injuries, or actual wins.

Last edited:

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Article shouls have read..

After checking merchandise sales, Stephen Jones not worried about errant snaps, CB injuries, or actual wins.

It's a business..people dont realize these owners are businessmen first (not directed at you CMD)..business first..sometimes football next. Some owners don't give two shits about the actual team

Top Bottom