Reaction score
Highlights of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and coach Jason Garrett’s news conference Sunday on the eve of training camp. All updates from Dallas Morning News writers’ Twitter accounts: Brandon George ‏@dmn_george; Rainer Sabin ‏@DMNRainerSabin; Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota

– Jason Garrett: Tony Romo has matured as a person, player, leader. The Hall of Fame QBs had some of the same kind of games he had last year.

– Jerry Jones on Dez Bryant’s background: “It’s not an excuse. But it’s a fact.”

– Jerry Jones on Dez Bryant’s situation: “This is a very serious matter.”

– Jerry Jones, why haven’t you talked to Dez Bryant? “I don’t know why.” … “I’m not trying to be cute here.”

– Jerry Jones: Won’t make excuses for Dez Bryant. Says he will address situation. Says he’s come a long way but still has a long way to go. Supports him and family. Don’t know all the facts yet. “I haven’t spoken directly to Dez, but I do take it very seriously.”

– Jerry Jones on punishment for Dez: “We got to see the information, see where it leads us. … He’s here in camp. That’s all I want to say.”

– Jason Garrett: We’re going to be very aware of the fine line between supporting Dez Bryant and enabling him …

– Jason Garrett says Cowboys are in “the midst” of building a championship team.

– Jerry Jones: I want to officially close the window to closing the window. That was off-season talk. I do feel a sense or urgency, though. … “I’ve been here 23 years. I’ve been here when it was glory hole days and when it wasn’t. I want me some glory hole.”

– Jerry Jones: Jason Witten and Tony Romo have “tasted a lot of disappointment.” Says that’s good for the young players to hear.

– Jason Garrett: This is my 23rd NFL training camp. “We have excellent leadership on this team.” Says developing more mental toughness key to better holding fourth-quarter leads. Me: Not sure this weather will help.

– Cowboys blew five 4th-quarter leads last year. Jason Garrett: Some personnel moves will help that area, stronger running, defending pass..

– Jerry Jones says he hopes the continuity of camp at one place in Oxnard and two preseason games in Calif. will help with team focus.

– Jason Garrett: We believe we’re building a championship team here in Dallas. I thought we had an outstanding off-season. “We feel like we have the right people in place.”

– Jerry Jones: We have great challenges ahead this season. Our division is strong. We believe our team is strong and so is our resolve.

– Jason Garrett: We want to run the ball better and be stronger defending against the pass.

– Jason Garrett on Mike Jenkins: “His shoulder is certainly getting better.” However, he might not be back until after 2nd preseason game.

– Jason Garrett: Mike Jenkins understands competition is good. “Sometimes your feelings can get hurt” when a team adds players at your spot.

– Jerry Jones: “We won a Super Bowl with a great rotation in the defensive line.” Says great opportunity for Mike Jenkins to be a part of great secondary.

– Is Mike Jenkins buying what the Cowboys are telling him about how he’s going to be used? Jerry Jones: “Yes.”

– Jerry Jones on CB Mike Jenkins: “We will write a check for a good football player.” Says Jenkins is listening …

– Jason Garrett: New OL coach Bill Callahan “is a great teacher.” Has experience in a lot of different schemes.

Top Bottom