NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
by Archie Barberio on Jul 7, 2012 6:00 AM CDT in Dallas Cowboys General

Our BTB cyborg, OCC, penned a very good article the other day about head coach Jason Garrett possibly being on the hot seat. After reading that thought provoking post, I began to wonder about the man responsible for the defense, the loud and outspoken Rob Ryan.

After our beloved Cowboys had one of their worst seasons in recent memory in 2010, the front office had to go out and bring in some new coaches that would begin to change the culture in Dallas. This started when Jason Garrett was officially hired as the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. With the addition of Garrett, the franchise finally began to take steps in the right direction.

One of the biggest decisions last offseason was the hiring of a new defensive coordinator. The Cowboys lined up some interesting candidates, but I have always liked the style of the Ryan family, and Rob instantly became one of my favorite candidates for the job.

Ryan was hired last January and his "different" type of coaching style didn't exactly seem like it would mesh with Garrett and his more conventional approach. Garrett and Ryan could be the modern day "Odd Couple" because they are so different, but sometimes opposites attract and turn out to be some of the best relationships.

One of the problems that I had with Wade Phillips and his style of the 3-4 defense was that it became very predictable. Like Ryan, Wade came from a historic defensive bloodline that included Wade's father Bum Phillips. Wade was a very good man, probably one the nicest guys you could ever meet in the NFL, but in my opinion that rubbed off on his defense.

As a fan of this team that has watched almost every game the past eight years or so, I have become very keen to what the Cowboys are doing on the field. Certain personnel packages or the formations will often tell me what type of play I will see run by the Cowboys. Under Wade I noticed that his defense became very "vanilla" and predictable.

No matter who was hired as the new defensive coordinator of the Cowboys, they had to bring in a scheme with more movement and creativity. Ryan runs probably the most complex defensive schemes in football because of all the moving parts he has prior to the snap, and that excited me because I knew we would be seeing something fresh and new in Dallas.

Not only would Ryan be bringing in a defense with versatility, he would also be bring in his type of coaches to fill out the coaching staff. Linebackers coach Reggie Herring was a Wade disciple, so it wasn't shocking to see him follow Wade to Houston. Ryan brought his understudy in Cleveland, Matt Eberflus, to become the new linebackers coach. Brian Baker was also brought in to takeover the defensive line, and this offseason we saw Jerome Henderson added as the secondary coach.

Personnel was clearly an issue on the defense before Ryan took over, so most of us thought that we would see a defensive-minded draft class, but we didn't. Only second-round pick Bruce Carter, who was going to miss the first-six weeks on the PUP list, and fifth-round pick Josh Thomas who didn't even make the team, were the only selections spent on the defensive side of the football.

It's a shame that Ryan didn't inherit enough talent in order for him to be successful in 2011. The free agent additions included Kenyon Coleman and Abram Elam, that's it. Then Jerry Jones made his infamous push to acquire the services of Nnamdi Asomugha, even putting Ryan on the phone with the free agent cornerback as a recruiting tool. That situation didn't turn out the way the Cowboys had hoped and Nnamdi signed with our division rival, the Philadelphia Eagles.

During the early part of the season, Ryan looked like he was a great addition to the coaching staff because his defense looked really good. As the season wore on, the defense began to breakdown and fold. Our patchwork secondary gave up too many big plays and our pass rush became limited to just a few players. You could also tell there was too much confusion going on out on the field, causing the defense to give up gut-wrenching plays due to their mental mistakes.

The lockout clearly hurt Ryan and his attempt to install a new defense in Dallas. Ryan feels that he may have tried to install too much during such a short period of time.

"You want to be best right off the bat, and you want to be multiple, that's what I like to do," Ryan said. "I think I'm smart, and I know I am, but unfortunately I probably put a little too much in too early."

What I like about Ryan is that he is also willing to step up and take the blame for the defensive woes that we saw last season. Ryan explained why there was so much confusion on the field last year.

"It wasn't all schematic-related. The parts where I take the blame for was when there's confusion on the defense, and a lot of that was us not getting on the same page, even in training camp," Ryan said. "Little details come back and hurt you when you're playing against a Super Bowl champion. That hurt, and then the fact that I think we lost a little bit of confidence in the back end, we weren't challenging receivers."

Jerry Jones went out and finally gave Ryan the type of cornerbacks he needs in order for his pressure based attack to work correctly. Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne could become one of the best cornerback tandems in the NFL. Their addition to the defense should allow DeMarcus Ware and dare I say it, Anthony Spencer, to make more plays as pass rushers. Rookie defensive end Tyrone Crawford should help out our defensive line, but we should also look for Ryan to implement second- and third-year players Bruce Carter and Sean Lissemore more into his defense.

So does Rob believe that his defense is making strides this year? He sounds confident that his defense will be a lot better in 2012.

"We've come a long way," he said. "We like to say it's about the mathematics. We're putting in our foundation, our core stuff and I feel we have a good concept of it, a good grasp of what we're doing, and I think it's going to pay off."

I believe that we will see his defense improve in 2012 and when it's all said and done, I expect this to be a top 10 defense. If Ryan doesn't deliver, will he be fired? What will it take for Ryan to keep his job? It's hard to speculate right now, but if this team doesn't make the playoffs, we could see some changes on the coaching staff and Ryan could become one of the casualties.

What does the BTB community think about Rob Ryan being on the hot seat? Discuss and leave your input in the comment section.

Reaction score
This is the NFL .... everyone is on the "hot seat." That's the nature of this game.

And who came up with the term "hot seat" in the first place?

[video=youtube;oJQrOnZXkXA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJQrOnZXkXA[/video]

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Is he?

Probably based on BFFs in the organization.

Should he be?

No.

Reaction score
No defensive coach in the NFL would be successful with last years secondary.

This defense will be much improved.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
He absolutely should be on the hot seat.

He told us all last season how awesome these players were. He reiterated before the camps how awesome they were again and specifically mentioned how good an average pass rusher like Spencer is.

And then he said after the minicamp how great Carr is and how much better our corners are.

So, if he fails to field a top 10 unit with all of this talent he claims we have, then he should go.

Reaction score
He absolutely should be on the hot seat.

He told us all last season how awesome these players were. He reiterated before the camps how awesome they were again and specifically mentioned how good an average pass rusher like Spencer is.

And then he said after the minicamp how great Carr is and how much better our corners are.

So, if he fails to field a top 10 unit with all of this talent he claims we have, then he should go.

He was attempting to add confidence to a defense that had none from the previous season. He should have put them down and insulted the talent level. i am sure that would have lead to a division title.

Ryan also wanted to add Nnamdi to the secondary. He knew it needed an upgrade to handle the type of pressure he puts on the secondary, not to mention the lack of depth. You had Alan Ball as your starting corner for fucks sake.

You also have very poor evaluation skills to only judge on yards per game and where it ranks in the entire league. So many other factors that should come into judging a coaches performance.

overused

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think he should be

but you have to give him two years

he was not beating down doors in Cleveland or Oak he was nothing special

I think Rex got most of Buddies Genes besides there were not that many to go around

In 1978, George Halas brought in Ryan as defensive coordinator. With the Bears, Ryan created the 46 defense, but it wasn't until 1982 that the scheme was perfected. This was due in large part because of Mike Singletary's ability to single-handedly dominate the middle of the field

Buddy got lucky it took him 4 years to get right took him until 85 to get to the SB

I see Rob as no savior

Reaction score
I think he should be

but you have to give him two years

he was not beating down doors in Cleveland or Oak he was nothing special

He won Super Bowls with the Patriots.

I think Rex got most of Buddies Genes besides there were not that many to go around

They are identical twins so they have the similar genes.

In 1978, George Halas brought in Ryan as defensive coordinator. With the Bears, Ryan created the 46 defense, but it wasn't until 1982 that the scheme was perfected. This was due in large part because of Mike Singletary's ability to single-handedly dominate the middle of the field

I have seen past game of those teams. Singletary wasn’t the only one on the field. In fact he has a pretty good combo of Wilber Marshall and Otis Wilson.

Buddy got lucky it took him 4 years to get right took him until 85 to get to the SB

I see Rob as no savior

Yea, same way Bill Walsh was lucky to come up with the west coast offense.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The Cowboys sucked at forcing turnovers too, so it's not just a yards thing.

And I don't care what statistical category you choose to judge the defense by, anyone can see that this defense isn't and hasn't been very good in a long time.

They don't stop the run, they don't stop the pass, they don't force turnovers and they don't pressure the QB with any consistency.

I don't expect Ryan to tell the players how much they suck, but if there is any group of players that don't need more sunshine pumped up their ass, it's this one. They got more than enough from that from Wade and they continue to get it from Jerry.

They don't need yet another enabler. They need someone to be honest with them. Don't keep telling us how great Anthony Spencer is when even a blind man can see how average he is.

The Cowboys need to make a significant improvement on the defensive side of the ball this season. And I'll say it again.....if we don't see a significant improvement across the board with this unit, then he needs to go.

Reaction score
But not as their DC, so what point are you trying to make exactly?

Dave Campo won Super Bowls with Dallas too. Should we have kept him and made him the DC?

You were putting him down because of his past resume. You can’t pick and choose what you want to hold against him. Not sure what Campo has to do with anything.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Remember when he was doing interviews for sunday night football about how he should be a head coach right before we got dismantled by the eagles or giants?

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
You were putting him down because of his past resume. You can’t pick and choose what you want to hold against him. Not sure what Campo has to do with anything.

You must have me confused with someone else.

I never once mentioned his past resume.

Reaction score
Yes.

Remember when we (I) wanted him as a head coach of the Cowboys?

But yeah, hard to succeed in todays NFL when you have no secondary.

If he can't make opposing Qb's wish their parents aborted their fetuses this year, then he ought to be on the hot seat.

Texas Ace

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The Giants have won 2 Super Bowls with average secondaries. They did so because they had great pass rushes.

Meanwhile, we've got it ass backwards in Dallas and seem to be trying to build the greatest secondary of all time while completely ignoring the pass rush. I have to believe that Ryan had something to do with what we did this offseason in terms of improving the defense, so that puts him even more on the hook if this defense fails to produce this upcoming season.

I keep hearing that Ryan has this complex system and these great blitzes. Well, this year would be a great time to show that off.

Reaction score
How have we ignored the pass rush?

We took a pass rushing D-end, and OLB in the draft.

There wasn't a dominant pass rusher available this summer.

And no, Mario Williams was never an option.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yes.

Remember when we (I) wanted him as a head coach of the Cowboys?

But yeah, hard to succeed in todays NFL when you have no secondary.

If he can't make opposing Qb's wish their parents aborted their fetuses this year, then he ought to be on the hot seat.

If this shitty site allowed you to search for anything I'd go back and find the conversation. I think it went you "we need to fire Garrett and make sure we don't lose this guy" me "stop worrying about it Ryan isn't getting a HC gig anywhere".

Top Bottom