superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Mitt Romney reaffirmed his view that marriage is between "a man and a woman," offering a sharp contrast to President Obama who announced earlier today that he now backs the right of gay couples to marry.

Speaking to reporters after a campaign event in Oklahoma City, Romney said his position on same sex marriage is unchanged despite Obama's shift on the issue.

"I have the same view on marriage that I had when I was governor. I believe marriage is a relationship between a man and a woman," Romney said. "I have the same view I've had since, well, running for office."

Romney's comments come just hours after Obama told ABC News he now backs the right of same sex couples to marry. At a campaign event in Colorado earlier Wednesday, Romney had declined to comment on the president's shift when questioned about the news by reporters.

"Not on the rope line," he told Politico's Reid Epstein.

Romney did address the topic of same sex marriage in a local television interview earlier Wednesday. Asked by Fox affiliate KDVR-TV about a bill that would have allowed civil unions for same-sex couples in Colorado, Romney reiterated his belief that marriage is between a man and a woman.

"Well, when these issues were raised in my state of Massachusetts, I indicated my view, which is I do not favor marriage between people of the same gender, and I do not favor civil unions if they are identical to marriage other than by name," Romney told KDVR. "My view is the domestic partnership benefits, hospital visitation rights, and the like are appropriate but that the others are not."

Romney's campaign has been muted in its reaction to Obama's gay marriage shift. Aides to the presumptive nominee did not respond to requests for comment on how they see the issue playing in the 2012 campaign or whether Romney will use the issue to whip up support among social conservatives this fall.

But in a statement, Republican National Commitee chairman Reince Priebus suggested it would be an issue the party would focus on heading into November.

"While President Obama has played politics on this issue, the Republican Party and our presumptive nominee Mitt Romney have been clear," Priebus said. "We support maintaining marriage between one man and one woman and would oppose any attempts to change that."

ksJuN.jpg

buckup

Reaction score
It's pretty simple. If you don't like gay marriage then don't get gay married.

Reaction score
This isn't news. He's always been a liar. He's just swaying with whatever opinion he believes will get him more votes.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good for him.

It's a stupid discussion constantly brought up by the GOP to bring out the racists and biggots and zealots.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This isn't news. He's always been a liar. He's just swaying with whatever opinion he believes will get him more votes.

i know right, Romney will say whatever keeps him in the good light at whatever particular destination he is in at the moment.

Oh you were talking about Obama........yes him too, and while we are at it the biggest ****** ever George bush was exactly the same.....

Moral of the story, politicians are creeps.

Reaction score
I still can't believe people are fighting for the right to be married.

They've obviously never been married before.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I still can't believe people are fighting for the right to be married.

They've obviously never been married before.

People really are not. This just a cheap ploy for the GOP to rile up the zealots and biggots all at once and get them going.

It's a neat trick. They did this in 04 and 05 and at the same time the bush administration was able to change a bunch of environmental laws to allow his Texas energy buddies to go drill for gas all over the place with no one able to stop them. Plus it's always good to bring up when GOP issues are hurting.

Oh well, I will just sit back and wait for dbair to tell me benzene is perfectly safe to drink now....

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Theebs... I don't like your anti-GOP tone. Zip it.

Go shove a cross dipped in natural gas up your ass.

Then zip it.

I am sure one of bush's personal pastors would be happy to go in there and get it for u, provided u have meth of course.

Reaction score
i know right, Romney will say whatever keeps him in the good light at whatever particular destination he is in at the moment.

Oh you were talking about Obama........yes him too, and while we are at it the biggest ****** ever George bush was exactly the same.....

Moral of the story, politicians are creeps.
Exactly. I don't see why people get so militant trying to defend people who are creeps.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Exactly. I don't see why people get so militant trying to defend people who are creeps.

That's right pep, and remember my politics are better than yours and so is my religion.

I pray to Tiffany amber Thiessen so unless your god is better looking I don't want to hear about it.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
I've felt for a long time now that if Gay a& Lesbians really understood what marriage was they would be trying to pass laws making it illegal to make them get married. So sure, let them get married, no one benefits more than divorce lawyers.

Reaction score
I've felt for a long time now that if Gay a& Lesbians really understood what marriage was they would be trying to pass laws making it illegal to make them get married. So sure, let them get married, no one benefits more than divorce lawyers.
:towel

Top Bottom