Reaction score
Redskins not actively trying to re-sign RB Alfred Morris

The Washington Redskins seem less than enthusiastic about re-signing impending free agent running back Alfred Morris according to Tarik El-Bashir of CSN Washington.

“Free agency is going to be a great test for him,” Redskins general manager Bruce Allen said. “If he gets a great contract, we’re going to applaud him. If not, we’ll see what happens with us.” The 27-year-old Morris saw his workload cut significantly in 2015, rushing for only 751 yards and scoring only once after scoring a whopping 28 times in his first three seasons in the league. He has always been pretty much of a two-down player and it is hard to imagine much of a market developing for his services.

Allen did not completely close the door to re-signing Morris and it should be noted that the team does not currently have anyone in their running backs stable ready to take over for him to do the dirty work on early downs, as highly-touted rookie Matt Jones struggled with staying healthy and ball security throughout the season. With backs like Matt Forte, Doug Martin, Lamar Miller and Chris Ivory also headed for free agency and help always available in the draft, it seems unlikely that Morris will be in Washington in 2016.

Reaction score
Scot McCloughan calls Josh Doctson 'a slam dunk’

Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan's draft-day philosophy is to take the best player available, regardless of position. While many had the Redskins selecting a defensive lineman in the first-round, he selected wide receiver Josh Doctson with the 22nd overall pick.

“Now you guys understand what I preach about: I’m sure none of you thought we’d pick a receiver, because we’ve got depth,” McCloughan said according to Liz Clarke of the Washington Post. “But that was the best football player on the board.”

What McCloughan likes about Doctson, the walk-on turned standout at Texas Christian, goes beyond his 6-foot-2, 202-pound size, which, combined with his athleticism and leaping ability, make him an appealing red-zone target. “He’s very, very talented,” McCloughan conceded, “but also the [quality] person. It was a slam dunk.”

McCloughan said that as Thursday night’s first-round proceedings unfolded, he couldn’t believe that Doctson was still available. “If you had talked to me before the draft, I would never though that would happen,” said McCloughan, who traded back one spot and still got Doctson with the 22nd pick. “I thought he’d be gone.”

Reaction score
Mike Shanahan: I didn’t think trading up for RG3 was very smart

5/21/2016 11:10:41 AM

In 2012, the Washington Redskins made one of the biggest trades in NFL draft history — four high-round picks — three in the first round and one in the second — to the St. Louis Rams for the second overall pick in the upcoming draft.

Now Mike Shanahan, who coached the Redskins at that time, says he didn't think it was a good trade.

In an article in TheUndefeated.com, Shanahan said, “Dan knew I wasn’t very happy about what we did, but he wanted everybody to celebrate how smart we were, so we jumped on his plane and met the other owners on his yacht,” Mike Shanahan recalled. “Everyone was celebrating. I just didn’t think it was very smart to give up that much for a guy who we didn’t even know if he could drop back and throw.

“When I finally sat down with Dan, I said, ‘Hey, you own the team. We can work with him and do some things. But we haven’t seen anything on tape that warrants giving [up] this type of compensation.’ To me, it was absolutely crazy. But I told Dan that if that’s what he wanted to do, I’d make it work.”

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Neither did I Shanny. Neither did I.

PS- but glad your stupid fucktard owner insisted on it!

Reaction score
Josh Norman enjoys playing 'like a rogue savage'

By Kevin Patra
Around the NFL writer

Josh Norman didn't want to leave the comfort of the Carolina Panthers, but after the team moved on, the corner is enjoying his new digs.

The All-Pro corner likes that defensive coordinator Joe Barry's defense in Washington allows him the liberty to take on bigger challenges.

"I'm more free, I think," Norman told ESPN 980, via the Washington Post. "If I get one wide receiver, I can pretty much play it however I really want to play it, in the concept of the call that (Barry's) made. I have free range to do that. Even coming over on slot, I'm playing a different combination than I would back in Carolina. Not saying that their defense scheme was bad, at all. It was a good scheme for what it was. Coming here, I just feel like our different coverages, traps and everything are a little bit more to my style of play, man. I'm like a rogue savage out there, so I'm playing ball at the highest level of speed. I don't need to think much; I just need to go."

While the Panthers run a zone-based system, Norman likes the idea that he'll have more 1-on-1 challenges with the Redskins. Norman explained to The Post what he meant by "savage."

"It means I can be whatever I want to be," he said. "I can be free. I want to play the game ruthless and violent. If you think about a savage; that's pretty much where I'm at."

Norman noted that not every defense allows for that autonomy.

"No," he said. "I mean, every defense has its way, but it's more freedom [here], man. It's like if I've got a coverage, I'm with that coverage, 100 percent. I'm not like 'Okay, I've got to think about doing something else, I've got to think about all these other combinations, if that happens or that happens.' No. If I get a call, GO. Just go. There's no ifs ands or buts. Make a play."

The Redskins signed Norman to a massive contract to make plays. They'll give him the freedom to do just that.

Reaction score
Being reported on Twitter:

I'm told #Redskins OLB Junior Galette has torn his Achilles and is out for the season.

Second year in a row

Reaction score
Early buzz: Gus Bradley is atop Redskins' list of defensive coordinator candidates. GM Scot McCloughan knows him well from their time in SEA

Reaction score
Jay Gruden confident Kirk Cousins will remain the Redskins’ quarterback
1/24/2017 7:55:47 PM
Kirk Cousins has played out his one year under the franchise player tag and again will become a free agent this offseason. Keeping him will cost the Washington Redskins a pretty penny. But Jay Gruden has no doubt in his mind that Cousins will remain with the organization, Mike Jones of the Washington Post reports.

“We totally anticipate Kirk coming back to the Washington Redskins, and we’re very excited about parlaying two very good years as the starting quarterback into a third year and watching him grow,” Gruden said.

The coach made the comments when asked about Cousins on Tuesday after watching Senior Bowl practices. Meanwhile, Cousins was in Orlando preparing to play in his first Pro Bowl. Gruden said the quarterback had texted him looking for a good golf course to try out during his down time. Gruden, who used to live in Orlando while coaching the Orlando Crush of the Arena Football League and the Florida Tuskers of the United Football League, passed along some recommendations.

The Redskins have a couple of options with Cousins. They can work to sign him to a long-term deal, which will likely feature more than $70 million in guaranteed money. Or, they could retain his services by placing a one-year franchise tag on him for a second straight year. That would mean paying him nearly $25 million, all of which is guaranteed.

Speculation arose this week that the 49ers could try to trade for Cousins because Kyle Shanahan is in line to become their next head coach. But Gruden, who did not directly address such rumors, doesn’t see that happening. He instead talked about his excitement of continuing to work to improve the offense with Cousins at the helm.

There is no indication that the team and Cousins’s agent have begun negotiations on a new contract. However, the Redskins have some time. They don’t have to use the franchise tag until March 1, and free agency doesn’t begin until March 7.

Reaction score
I read where the 49'ers, if Kyle Shannahan takes that job, would be willing to part with the #2 overall selection to land Cousins. Seems like a stretch, but supposedly it was Shannahan standing on the table, as the expression goes, for the Redskins to take Cousins in round 4 after they had traded the world to land RGIII that same year.

If you're the Redskins, considering the continued uncertainty with Cousins.... can you pass that up?

They basically had a win and you're in game against the Giants and Cousins had a Romo-esque int to end it when he easily could've ran the ball for the first down. Plus they should have beaten us week 2 by double digits had he not overthrown Jackson so badly multiple times, then tried to force a bad pass in the end zone which Church intercepted.

He seems inconsistent as all hell. Then again, there's not a lot of talented QB's in the league, and this draft offers none.

What to do... what to do...

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Early buzz: Gus Bradley is atop Redskins' list of defensive coordinator candidates. GM Scot McCloughan knows him well from their time in SEA

Too bad for them. He went elsewhere. They hired a guy already on staff to be DC

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Manusky isn't a bad hire at all. I have no idea why they'd ever consider Rob Ryan over him in the first place.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Manusky isn't a bad hire at all. I have no idea why they'd ever consider Rob Ryan over him in the first place.

I have no idea why anyone would want to interview Rob Ryan for any position on their staff, let alone DC in place of someone (ANYONE) else.

I really think he is one of the worst coordinators in league history. If his name weren't Ryan he'd probably have never gotten any NFL job, other than maybe stadium janitor.

Reaction score
Redskins center Kory Lichtensteiger is retiring, according to Master Tesfatsion of The Washington Post (on Twitter). The offensive lineman spent nine seasons in the NFL.

Reaction score
DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon are probably done in Washington

If Pierre Garcon’s Instagram account is any indication, the Redskins’ wide receiving corps may soon be short-handed.

Garcon this week posted “YallHiring?” on social media, stoking speculation over his upcoming free agency. On a podcast with ESPN’s Adam Schefter this week, DeSean Jackson talked about the potential “great story ending” of a return to the Eagles when the league year begins March 9.

Instead of debating which top receiver Washington should retain, the team could find itself without both. That prospect might not make quarterback Kirk Cousins eager to sign a long-term deal, either.

[If the Redskins have honest intentions, they shouldn’t franchise tag Kirk Cousins]

Garcon and Jackson, both 30, have said previously they would like to stay. That sounds swell until outside bidders dangle what could be the last big-money contracts of their careers.

For their part, the Redskins would like to keep both.

Jackson stretches defenses like few NFL players. He had 56 catches in two of the past three years with Washington, topping 1,000 yards each time.

Garcon has been a leader during five seasons in Washington with a team-record 113 catches in 2013. He had 1,041 yards on 79 catches in 2016, and when the Redskins needed a first down, they often looked his way.

The Redskins are also at risk of losing two fellow unrestricted free agents, defensive lineman Chris Baker and tight end Vernon Davis, and a restricted one in tailback Chris Thompson. This spring could bring the biggest loss for Washington since free agency began in 1992, and that’s not factoring in a potential exit for Cousins if he doesn’t get the franchise tag.

If the Redskins give Cousins the tag for $24 million this year, they might not be able to afford the blockbuster deal Jackson is seeking.

Jackson is dinged up too often and has caught 60 balls just once in the past seven seasons. With expected suitors such as the Eagles, Rams and Buccaneers, Washington may balk at his price tag.

Garcon wants a longer contract than the Redskins can give him. Receivers tend to slow down around age 30, so the team would likely prefer a two-year deal rather than the four-year contract Garcon would want. Three years would be a compromise, but other clubs could inflate the bidding.

What does Washington do if it loses both receivers? Pray Josh Doctson gets healthy after the first-rounder played only 31 snaps last season with Achilles problems. Maybe pick a receiver in the first round for the second straight year despite a defense desperately needing linemen. Perhaps rely more on tight end Jordan Reed and Thompson, who combined for 115 catches last season. Definitely promote Jamison Crowder to the No. 1 role after he hauled in 126 receptions and nine touchdowns in his first two years.

Washington could also go shopping. Kenny Stills, Kendall Wright and Brian Quick are all 27 or younger and slated to become free agents, but they’ll be pricey.

It won’t take long for the Redskins to know their options. Most likely, Jackson and Garcon won’t be among them.

Top Bottom