Reaction score
By
David Moore / Reporter

dmoore@dallasnews.com | Bio

3:07 PM on Fri., Apr. 27, 2012 | Permalink

The Cowboys are exploring the trade market for cornerback Mike Jenkins.

That doesn't mean they have shut the door on him returning to play in the final year of his contract.

"I fully believe at the end of the day Mike is going to be on our football team,'' said Stephen Jones, the Cowboys executive vice president. "We think a lot of Mike.''

Jones said he has fielded no calls about Jenkins since the Cowboys acquired Morris Claiborne and hasn't placed any. He then paused, smiled and added, "You asked if I made any.

"Mike Jenkins, first of all, he is a very, very good cornerback. Also, Mike is a good person. He played injured for us last year. We think the world of Mike Jenkins. He's going to be an important part of the team more than likely for us this year.''

Jones spoke with Drew Rosenhaus, Jenkins representative, Thursday evening. Jones said the coaching staff has reached out to Jenkins since the team drafted Claiborne.

Jenkins is recovering from off-season shoulder surgery and, in Jones' words, has "been in and out'' of Valley Ranch. When asked if Jenkins has been there consistently, Jones said, "I don't want to comment on that.''

Jenkins has spent most of his time in Florida this off-season as he rehabilitates. The Cowboys don't believe he'll be able to take part in the off-season program but anticipate he'll be cleared to return when training camp starts in late July.

"Mike Jenkins is a damn good cornerback,'' Jones said. "At the end of the day, I think he'll be on our team.''

Reaction score
I'd keep him.

You don't trade players when their value is low. His is low at this point because of injury, and our perceived lack of needing him.

Keep him, get what you can out of him this year, and then part ways. If nothing else, he provides exceptional depth if we suffer an injury in the secondary.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Have t o keep him now.

Get everything u can out of him and hope for a bug compensatory pick from him.

I would happily take him healthy this year and a 4th round compensatory pick in 2014 instead of dumping him for a 6th next year and losing him for this season.

If he needs to cry and bitch from now till camp starts that's fine let him do it. As long as his ass is in camp and ready to go in ny.

But the element that has already been started is all the Jenkins is a distraction stuff. I mean all of us here can basically write McMahon,Watkins and hills articles for them this summer..

But who cares, deal with it and get him on the field. We need 4 good corners

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jenkins' stock will only go up from this point forward...wait for somebody to lose a CB in camp or in preseason..heck, or even at the beginning of the season.. especially if its a team that expects to contend..if not, keep him and use him this season

C

Cr122

I'd keep him too, it's a passing league and we need more than 2 corners.

If anything he's better than Scandrick, and we could benefit from having Carr, Claiborne, and Jenkins on the field at the same time.

buckup

Reaction score
Definitely keep him. He's in a contract year and if we don't resign him next year the compensatory pick will probably be at least as good as what we would get in a trade.

Look at Aaron Ross from the Giants. He had probably his best year in the same situation last year. If we even get that level of play from Jenkins it's a win.

Reaction score
I am slightly worried about him being a cancer though.

I'd love for him to accept his role, come in and compete. But my fear is that his agent (Drew) will convince him to hold out or otherwise be a punk in an attempt to force a trade.

Top Bottom