sbk92

Reaction score
SportsDayDFW.com

Some highlights of his most recent newsletter:

Erik Collins from Austin, Texas wonders, “ What are the Cowboys' plans for replacing Marcus Spears and Gerald Sensabaugh in the event they were to leave?”

TAYLOR: It wouldn't shock me – the more I think about it - if the Cowboys took Wisconsin's J.J. Watt or Cal's Cam Jordan in the first round. The need for a defensive end is greater than the need for a cornerback because Terence Newman and Mike Jenkins will be back this season. Dallas will use the draft to get a safety or they might try to find another bargain like Sensabaugh at safety. The Cowboys have no interest in spending big money at that position in free agency.

Reginald Smith from Gainesville, Va. asks, “Who will be the third receiver if Roy Williams is let go?”

TAYLOR: I'm not convinced Williams will be let go because the Cowboys would like to get some more production from him, and new receivers coach Jimmy Robinson might be the guy to do it. As of today, you'd have to say Kevin Ogletree, but I don't think they trust him. The Cowboys will either draft one or add a bargain in free agency.

Jeremy Ewing from Corsicana, Texas wonders, “ Any chance the Cowboys can get Nnamdi Asomugha? Maybe Newman can play safety or third corner.”

TAYLOR: Dallas already has $8 million committed to Newman and a first-round pick committed to Mike Jenkins. I don't think they're interested in signing another huge-dollar cornerback. Newman is not a safety – too small – and you don't want a guy making $8 million as your third cornerback.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The Jacque-strap is right on this one. In terms of order of need, I'd go with: OL, Safety, DL.

C

Cr122

I'd be happy with Jordan or Watts. Watts has been climbing the draft boards lately.

sbk92

Reaction score
I'm still not interested in Watt with a top 10 pick. You need difference makers that high not solid effort players like him.

C

Cr122

I'm still not interested in Watt with a top 10 pick. You need difference makers that high not solid effort players like him.

I still have my doubts about him being a top 10 pick, I thought he would go in the later teens, but I still like the player.

I'd rather have Jordan out of the two though. If we did draft Watt it would be considered a reach. Before those two players I would go Bowers, Dareus, Fairley or Quinn, but I doubt they are there at 9 unless some teams take a QB.

It would probably be safe to take the first OT on the board then, but a lot of mocks have them going after ten. I'm not even sure if we would be reaching on Cameron Jordan.

The draft boards have been changing by the minute.

sbk92

Reaction score
Unless Fairley or Dareus fall to 9 I'd rather trade down.

I hate the idea of trading out of an impact player but I don't see one there at 9 if those two DL are off the board.

Maybe Liuget.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Amen. Jordan supposedly had an excellant pro day. I still think the Cowboys should trade down a few spots and get a couple more picks, and then target either Jordan or Smith, but it might be risky with Jordan.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Amen. Jordan supposedly had an excellant pro day. I still think the Cowboys should trade down a few spots and get a couple more picks, and then target either Jordan or Smith, but it might be risky with Jordan.

Oh well, the picks we get in the trade down would be worth the risk of losing out on Jordan... I just don't think there's that much of a difference between him and anyone else we would be targeting with the trade down.

I agree with SBK. If we're going DL then it better be Dareus or Fairly at #9. Other wise look for a playmaker at another position or trade down. I still would love to see Quinn be there for us. . .

Reaction score
The more I think about Quinn, the more I think he'll be around.

Too much uncertainty with him not playing a year, and that brain tumor.

The question is would we pull the trigger on him. Could you imagine a defense that had Quinn, Ware, and Spencer all on the field attacking a QB?

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I would love it. There's no doubt about it we would be getting pressure on the QB.

Other than Quinn, and assuming Dareus and Fairly don't fall, we would be better off trading down and selecting best available OT.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

A 290 lb player who can move as well as some LBs can develop into difference makers, I'm sure.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I would love it. There's no doubt about it we would be getting pressure on the QB.

Other than Quinn, and assuming Dareus and Fairly don't fall, we would be better off trading down and selecting best available OT.

We have some OLBs to work with, currently our Dline is in shambles. I'd prefer that we address that 1st especially since Ryan runs a 2-gap 3-4.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Oh well, the picks we get in the trade down would be worth the risk of losing out on Jordan... I just don't think there's that much of a difference between him and anyone else we would be targeting with the trade down.

I agree with SBK. If we're going DL then it better be Dareus or Fairly at #9. Other wise look for a playmaker at another position or trade down. I still would love to see Quinn be there for us. . .

If we lost out on Jordan in a trade down but got Smith, I would be definitely cool with that. I hope Quinn is there when we pick, but not dfor the same reasons as you: he would make a good trade-down bait.

What would be idea is if we got Smithy and then picked up Marvin Austin.

Last edited:

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
We have some OLBs to work with, currently our Dline is in shambles. I'd prefer that we address that 1st especially since Ryan runs a 2-gap 3-4.

I don't think we're gonna have to spend our #9 pick on a DE unless he's something special (ie: Dareus or Fairly). I honestly don't think our DL would be that bad with some of the current guys that we have along with a few new draft picks... maybe one from the first three rounds then another from the later part of the draft.

Not saying our DLine doesn't need more help than that, just saying I'd rather see us take advantage of our top 10 pick this year.

sbk92

Reaction score

What about Quinn's brain tumor? That doesn't scare you away?

I think he's almost definitely gonna be a double digit sack guy in the NFL if he's healthy. But no way would I invest a top 10 pick in a guy who has to get routine checkups to see if his tumor grew.

sbk92

Reaction score

I think the Patriots covet Jordan. Maybe not enough to trade up but I doubt he falls past their pick at 17.

One possible scenario I think could play out is the Pats dealing with the Cowboys to move up for Julio Jones. They need a lead WR, they have the extra picks, there's a significant drop off at the position after the first two and there's no way Jones makes it past St. Louis at 14.

It might make sense for the Cowboys too as that puts them in a better position to get value at OT and of course gives them another premium pick to hopefully address one of their many needs.

C

Cr122

I think the Patriots covet Jordan. Maybe not enough to trade up but I doubt he falls past their pick at 17.

One possible scenario I think could play out is the Pats dealing with the Cowboys to move up for Julio Jones. They need a lead WR, they have the extra picks, there's a significant drop off at the position after the first two and there's no way Jones makes it past St. Louis at 14.

The Pats are in good shape with their picks, they could still land Leonard Hankerson at 28, exactly the kind of player they need. Unless of course Julio Jones slides, but like you said he won't make it past St. Louis at 14.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

It might make sense for the Cowboys too as that puts them in a better position to get value at OT and of course gives them another premium pick to hopefully address one of their many needs.

That's why I said it'd be risky. I still would like to trade down and if we miss out on Jordan, then Tyron Smith would be a nice consolation prize, or vice versa.

Top Bottom