Reaction score
Josh Dobbs the right mid-round quarterback for the Giants? - Big Blue View

Todd McShay said:
“I didn’t expect to like Josh Dobbs when I sat down to watch the tape based on the disappointment that Tennessee had in terms of wins and losses and some of the frustrations that he had, but the more I watch the tape the more I like the guy,” McShay said.

“I thought he was really good at the Senior Bowl. When he got some pro coaching and worked on the timing and mechanics with his feet … I think if he gets in the right place, because of his intelligence, his athleticism and his better than anticipated accuracy I think he’s got a chance to be a solid starter in the league. I really, truly believe that.

“He and Nate Peterman from Pitt are the two most underrated quarterbacks in this class.”

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Do you agree with that, Mid? Dobbs doesn't look like a pro QB at all to me.

I wonder if Dak's success in improving his accuracy so much is making people rethink QBs like Dobbs.

Reaction score
I don't know about accuracy, but I do know he's an aerospace engineering major, one hell of an athlete, and the players love him/rally around him. I know players like Dak come once in a lifetime, but he might share a lot of the same attributes. I obviously don't think he'd come in year one and have that kind of an impact, but if he went to the right coaching staff I think the accuracy could be worked on. At worst, he's a talented back up.

Reaction score
Clemson having their pro day and Mike Williams reportedly ran a 4.58 forty and is running sloppy routes, and DeShaun Foster has no velocity on his passes.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I guess I'm about the only one, but I haven't been that impressed with Watson.

Of course the QB market is so poor right now, he would probably do okay.

Reaction score
FSU RB Dalvin Cook is in Philly for a pre-draft visit with the Eagles, source says. Possible addition after WR upgrades in free agency.

Reaction score
Ask 5: Who'll be first-round surprise of 2017 NFL Draft?

By Daniel Jeremiah
NFL Media analyst

March Madness is upon us and you can expect to hear the word "Cinderella" a few hundred times during the first few rounds of the tournament. Which under-the-radar team is going to make a deep run and surprise the college basketball world? I don't have a clue. However, I thought it would be fun to transfer that thought to the NFL draft. Who will be the surprise first-round pick in this year's draft class? That's a question I posed to five NFL personnel executives. Here are their answers.

Executive 1: N.C. State S Josh Jones
"For some reason Jones didn't get much attention during the season, but he has first-round ability. I think he'll definitely go in the top 40 picks and it wouldn't be crazy for some team to take him late in the first round."

Executive 2: East Carolina WR Zay Jones
"Zay Jones has crushed the postseason. He was one of the best players in Mobile (Senior Bowl) and he ran much faster than expected at the combine (4.45 40). He could sneak into the first round."

Executive 3: UConn S Obi Melifonwu
"I don't think many people thought the UConn safety could go this high during the fall. It wouldn't shock me at all if he landed in the first round."

Executive 4: USC CB Adoree' Jackson
"I'll say Adoree' Jackson. Yeah, he's short, but I love his confidence, character and explosive athleticism. That dude is a playmaker."

Executive 5: Washington CB Kevin King
"I liked him more than most guys but I never saw this spike coming. Also, my bonus name is Davis Webb. It wouldn't surprise me if someone traded into the back end of the first to take him."

Summary: That's one vote apiece for Josh Jones, Zay Jones, Melifonwu, Jackson and King.

Conclusion: These are some very intriguing players. I don't think it's a coincidence that four of the five players mentioned play in the secondary. This is the deepest pool of cornerbacks and safeties that I've seen in a very long time. Teams and individual evaluators will vary on how they have them stacked on their board. One team might have Adoree' Jackson as its No. 3 cornerback, while others might view him as the eighth-best player at his position. Zay Jones just keeps acing the postseason tests. His rocket started to take off at the Reese's Senior Bowl, and it hasn't slowed down.

Reaction score
So many good pass rushers in this class. I'm finishing up the OL tape & these edge rushers are killing them. Charles Harris is a stud.

Reaction score
That was a tweet from Daniel jerrimiah. Twitter names don't copy from my phone. Think he's @movethesticks

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
That was a tweet from Daniel jerrimiah. Twitter names don't copy from my phone. Think he's @movethesticks

Whew, that's good to know. Glad you didn't go full ******. Thought for a minute there you would whip out a source who you call "My Guy".

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Whew, that's good to know. Glad you didn't go full ******. Thought for a minute there you would whip out a source who you call "My Guy".

Didnt my guy turn out out be a maintenance man at VR or am I thinking of some else?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Simulator mock from today..shout out to Midswat in the 7th round...

Your score is: 10918 (GRADE: B)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 28: Takkarist McKinley, OLB/DE, UCLA (A-)
Round 2 Pick 28: Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 28: JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, Southern California (A)
Round 4 Pick 26: Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson (A+)
Round 6 Pick 27: T.J. Logan, RB, North Carolina (B)
Round 7 Pick 10: Josh Malone, WR, Tennessee (B+)
Round 7 Pick 28: Jeremy Cutrer, CB, Middle Tennessee (C)

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Simulator mock from today..shout out to Midswat in the 7th round...

Your score is: 10918 (GRADE: B)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 28: Takkarist McKinley, OLB/DE, UCLA (A-)
Round 2 Pick 28: Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State (A-)
Round 3 Pick 28: JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, Southern California (A)
Round 4 Pick 26: Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson (A+)
Round 6 Pick 27: T.J. Logan, RB, North Carolina (B)
Round 7 Pick 10: Josh Malone, WR, Tennessee (B+)
Round 7 Pick 28: Jeremy Cutrer, CB, Middle Tennessee (C)

If they got Ju Ju in the 3rd and Leggett in the 4th, I'd consider this draft a win. Somebody said Leggett was a top 50 pick in an ordinary year for TEs.

Reaction score
2017 Pro Day Recap: Week 1
By Tony Pauline, Home | Draft Analyst

There was no rest for the weary as the pro-day schedule got underway the day following the final combine workout. And while there were several highlights over the past five days, the first week of workouts ended on a devastating note.

Washington had an odd Saturday pro day which was attended by every team in the league. The program has four projected first-round picks; three coming from the secondary. The big news coming from the workout was the devastating injury to Sidney Jones, the team's top prospect, graded as the No. 1 cornerback on a number of boards and a player expected to be a top-15 selection.

During a simple pedal-and-turn drill, the turf grabbed Jones' foot and he tumbled to the ground. The news is not good, as it is believed Jones tore his Achilles tendon, and the recovery time is expected to be six months. As a result of the injury, the first-round cornerback will likely fall into the early part of the draft's final day.

With that behind us let's look at some of the winners from last week:

Kevin King/CB/Washington: King capitalized on a terrific combine where he ran much faster than expected with a solid showing at pro day. Standing on his combine numbers, King looked terrific in position drills, displaying outstanding quickness and ball skills. His performance the past week plus the resultant injury to his teammate Sidney Jones likely pushed King into the late part of Round 1.

Darrell Daniels/TE/Washington: Daniels was another Husky who stood on his combine numbers, then looked terrific during pro day position drills. The athletic tight end ran solid routes and displayed soft, consistent hands. He's viewed as a legitimate downfield pass catcher at the tight end position and needs just a little more experience blocking.

DeAngelo Yancey/WR/Purdue: Yancey, a star during the week of practices leading up to the Shrine Game, was snubbed by the combine but got his revenge on pro day. The big-bodied receiver (6-foot-1 and 220 pounds) timed under 4.5 seconds on a number of watches, running as fast as 4.46 seconds in the 40. That time exceeded expectations. He also posted a vertical jump of 36 inches and touched 10-foot-1 in the broad jump. Scouts never questioned Yancey's pass-catching ability, but he answered their concerns about his athleticism during pro day.

Jordan Evans/LB/Oklahoma: Joe Mixon drew the headlines during the Oklahoma pro day, but Jordan Evans walked away the big winner. The underrated linebacker timed 4.51 in the 40, which was a full .3 seconds better than scouts expected! His 3-cone timed in at 7.03, while Evans clocked 4.28 in the short shuttle. His vertical jump of 38.5 inches bettered any linebacker who participated in combine workouts.

Jhajuan Seales/WR/Oklahoma State: Like Yancey and Evans, Seales was another non-combine invitee who ran much faster than expected. Measuring 6-foot-1 and 206 pounds, Seales timed as fast as 4.37 in the 40 and touched 41.5 inches in the vertical jump. He also caught the ball well during position drills and will now get late-round consideration.

Rudy Ford/S/Auburn: Ford was unable to participate in the Senior Bowl due to a stress fracture in his foot and he did not run during the combine due to limited training. He ran during pro day and he ran fast. Ford, who completed 20 reps on the bench during the combine, timed in the 4.3s (4.33 and 4.36) during pro day. He's one of the more underrated safeties in the draft, and his pro day 40 sticks him in the middle rounds.

Samson Kafovalu/DL/Colorado: There were several brilliant performances during the Colorado pro day, as the program expects as many as six players on defense to be selected during the draft. Kafovalu, a prospect not even rated by scouts entering the season, was notable as he went from undrafted free agent to potential late-round pick. He measured 6040/299lbs, timed as low as 4.94 in the 40 and also completed 33 reps on the bench press. His other marks included 32.5 inches in the vertical jump and 8-foot-8 in the broad jump. Teams love his versatility to play inside in a four-man front or defensive end in a 3-4.

Read more at 2017 NFL Pro Day Recaps by Tony Pauline: WalterFootball.com
Read more at 2017 NFL Pro Day Recaps by Tony Pauline: WalterFootball.com

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yikes, Sidney Jones says he is going to play this year. Jerry is scribbling his name on the card for 28 as I write this. Anybody remember Kevin Smith after achilles surgery?

Top Bottom