Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of you have watched this thing.

I watched it in its entirety a few months back, tried to forget about because it just seemed too one way leaning in its portrayal.

Ive started watching it again recently.

Who thinks this guy Avery is getting fucked again?

Reaction score
I don't know what to make of that case. I know the documentary wasn't exactly an unbiased presentation. But there are so many things about the case that make zero sense to me, I can't imagine how he could have been convicted. If there had been a smoking gun type piece of evidence, I would think the filmmakers would have talked about that, even if it wasn't in line with their theories of the case. Either that or it wouldn't have been filmed at all.

I tend to think he got fucked.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Idk.

I really wish there was more information to go off of, but I do think the guy is doing time for nothing again. The troubling thing is, one of four things had to have happened.

1. The Manitowoc Police dept. killed the girl and set him up.

2. Someone figured Avery as an easy target, killed the girl, then planted that car and burned body on his property.

3. That Allen guy that did the first crime had someone set Avery up?

4. A combination of 1,2 and 3.

I find myself hoping that Avery really did kill that girl. If not, this case is one of the most heart wrenching you'll ever come across. The guy will have spent the better part of his life serving time for shit he didn't do.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Just based on the limited testimony of the officers, maybe it's the way the film maker wanted its audience to interpret it, they all seem very slimy and untrustworthy.

I think I read that they are adding to the series. I don't know if it's going to be about Avery, but I hope to fuck it is.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The one time I sat on a jury in a capital murder trial, I was the lone holdout for "not guilty" on the first vote. It literally was a "12 angry men" situation. The prosecution in my view did NOT do its job, presenting the case to the meter of reasonable doubt.

I had fellow jurors literally telling me our job was to help the prosecutor! I was like nooooo, our damned job is to be a CHECK on the prosecutor! The defendant is PRESUMED INNOCENT.

Anyhow, four days and many votes later, we had a hung jury due to 3 guilty votes left after many voting sessions and much, much argument.

So yeah, with a jury full of idiot sheep just about any prosecutor can convict a ham sammich of murder.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
The timeline of the depositions in the civil suit and when Halbach goes missing is just way too coincidental.

Reaction score
Lots of things look bad for Avery, and I agree none of the other theories seem plausible either. But it shouldn't be on the defense to bring out alternative theories. Like Dooms said, it's on the state to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt. Too many jurors don't know what that means.

The thing I can't get past is that they never found her blood anywhere in his house/garage... there is no way he could have cleaned his ratty ass room and the garage with all the cracks in the floor of all that blood if it was done as they say it was. Also that bullet with the DNA should have never been admitted into evidence.

It's almost as if some rando killed Teresa and left her in her car somewhere on the side of the road. Then the cops find her and have no leads on who did it, so they pin it on Avery because he's Avery.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
That key they "found" really irks me.

The fourth time they search that room, and it's the first time they see it in plain sight? And to top it off, it's two of the local law enforcement people who were days earlier being deposed in that case against the police dept. that find it?

Give me a break.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
As I'm going back through this, my stomach starts to turn when Avery's lawyers are examining the evidence at the station. That styrofoam box is tampered with, opened illegally, the vile with the needle hole.

Jesus.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
These two backwoods, hick, retards shoot, stab, and slice this lady's throat in a trailer. Retards clean up every single shred of DNA, throw her body in a RAV4, decide to take her out of the RAV4, then burn her behind a garage. Then they park the RAV4 on the property and throw a stick over it.

Only half of that scenario seems like it could be carried out by a ******.

Reaction score
I think one of the brothers did it, and the cops saw an opportunity and an easy target in Avery so they pushed the evidence his way.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't watch the show and I won't. While the CJ system is far from perfect, I'm just not going to be convinced that this psycho is innocent based on a far fetched conspiracy theory which would have required the complicity of multiple law enforcement officers and departments.

But it shouldn't be on the defense to bring out alternative theories.

Defense teams do it all the time to present a different scenario which they hope would lead to reasonable doubt. It's not for the prosecutor to bring up all scenarios, just their theory which (hopefully) they can piece together (from the evidence) and prove with evidence.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think one of the brothers did it, and the cops saw an opportunity and an easy target in Avery so they pushed the evidence his way.

So you think police moved the corpse and planted it in Avery's fire pit?

Iamtdg

Reaction score
1. How the hell did they shoot her and not leave one drop of blood on the concrete or down in the cracks present in the concrete?

2. So, say they did pull off this forensics nightmare and were able to clean off all the blood in the garage. How the fuck after all that work would they leave an obvious blood smear OF THEIR OWN DNA on the victim's vehicle?

3. They found Teresa Halbach's DNA on the key. Oh wait, no they didn't. They just found Avery's and no other. So, you're telling me the key she used every. single. day. didn't have a shred of her DNA on it?

4. The Manitiwoc Sheriff's Department gave over the investigation to another department so as to remove bias from the equation, and then immediately begin helping with the investigation.

5. I am no lawyer, but I'm pretty fucking sure you don't normally leave your 16 year old half-****** client to get questioned without you present. Let alone encourage it.

6. Again, I'm no lawyer, but since when is it appropriate for the DEFENSE lawyer to spend 3 hours coercing a confession out of his own fucking client?

That's all for now, but as I think more on it, I will post more thoughts.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It wouldn't require so many people... just a few at the right place with the right motive.

OK. I'll bite. What's the motive? Tthat Avery has to be framed at all costs and risk your livelihood and career over this animal? I'm not saying the system is perfect or law enforcement officers are all perfect, but to get multiple officers and DA's offices to work in conjunction to frame this animal is a stretch.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
OK. I'll bite. What's the motive? Tthat Avery has to be framed at all costs and risk your livelihood and career over this animal? I'm not saying the system is perfect or law enforcement officers are all perfect, but to get multiple officers and DA's offices to work in conjunction to frame this animal is a stretch.

One motive they might have had is the fact that he was suing them. Any discredit they could bring to his name, the better it makes them look in the lawsuit.

Top Bottom