Reaction score
I know that I'm in the minority here, but I think it is likely that there are certain things that Garrett does well. To me, he seems to be a good motivator. He hasn't lost the team despite disappointing records (at least not in the same way that Wade lost the team). He attempts to acquire players who play with passion. The team did have a good season under him in 2014, so clearly he isn't so bad that it is impossible to win with him as head coach.

On the downside, his game management is atrocious at times. He's often too conservative. He isn't resourceful. He doesn't give the team anything in the way of a coach's edge. Landry routinely gave his teams an edge, or course. With the Cowboys, Parcells sometimes gave the team an edge ... heck, Parcells took the Cowboys to the playoffs with Quincy Carter at QB. Garrett isn't that kind of coach. He isn't that good.

Overall, I think Garrett is mediocre (that is, of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate). He's Mr. 8-8. I would hope that the franchise would have higher standards and expectations for their head coach. Unfortunately, the organizational dysfunction caused by the weird owner-management arrangement instituted by the Jones family increases the level of difficulty for any head coach. Being an NFL head coach is tough enough without adding the weird complexity that Jerry has built-in to the team's organizational structure.

If Garrett were handed the team that Switzer coached to a Super Bowl, I think Garrett could have won a Super Bowl too. I don't think Garrett can win a championship with a team that isn't clearly superior to the rest of the league.

Reaction score
I know that I'm in the minority here, but I think it is likely that there are certain things that Garrett does well. To me, he seems to be a good motivator. He hasn't lost the team despite disappointing records (at least not in the same way that Wade lost the team). He attempts to acquire players who play with passion. The team did have a good season under him in 2014, so clearly he isn't so bad that it is impossible to win with him as head coach.

On the downside, his game management is atrocious at times. He's often too conservative. He isn't resourceful. He doesn't give the team anything in the way of a coach's edge. Landry routinely gave his teams an edge, or course. With the Cowboys, Parcells sometimes gave the team an edge ... heck, Parcells took the Cowboys to the playoffs with Quincy Carter at QB. Garrett isn't that kind of coach. He isn't that good.

Overall, I think Garrett is mediocre (that is, of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate). He's Mr. 8-8. I would hope that the franchise would have higher standards and expectations for their head coach. Unfortunately, the organizational dysfunction caused by the weird owner-management arrangement instituted by the Jones family increases the level of difficulty for any head coach. Being an NFL head coach is tough enough without adding the weird complexity that Jerry has built-in to the team's organizational structure.

If Garrett were handed the team that Switzer coached to a Super Bowl, I think Garrett could have won a Super Bowl too. I don't think Garrett can win a championship with a team that isn't clearly superior to the rest of the league.

The problem is that you will never get a clearly superior team in the free agency era. Coaching is now what sets apart top teams from bottom-dwellers. Some of the well-coached teams can even get by with mediocre QBs.

That's the most frustrating part about this ginger era. He's wasted the talent of a great QB and some other truly great players like Ware and Witten.

By being unable to capitalize on the talent that he has, it's pretty clear that he's more like a 3-13 coach than even a mediocre 8-8 coach.

And I don't understand the notion that the team hasn't "quit on him" like they did with Wade. When your record is 4-12, it's clear that you have a whole group of players who don't give a shit. "Great motivators" are coaches like Tomlin or Belichick who actually rally their teams to win games behind back up QB's.

Romo alone has been good for so many wins that it's truly a sports tragedy that this team has not made deep playoff runs over the last 5 years. The blame for that lies solely on Garrett.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm watching the NFL network and Jerry Reese the Sr. VP and general manager of the Giants is talking about Tom Coughlin and one of the first things he says is "our fans deserve a better product than we put on the field this year"

I admire that statement. I just wish Jerry would see that and have a light bulb turn on in his head and start thinking the same way.

At least TC won two SB in NY before being replaced. Garret will leave with his greatest accomplishment being the fluke 12-4 season

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Reese should have been fired too as fyi. He's been awful for as long as Coughlin has.

Speaking of GM's that should be fired......Jerruh

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Trying to be totally fair for a minute (not that I'm not always, of course), I think Garrett's chance has sort of passed. I think when he first took over, he had some momentum. He'd actually convinced everyone -- and himself -- that he really was as smart and as good as his boosters like Moose and Laufenberg had claimed. That first year in 2011, if we hadn't collapsed from 7-4 to 8-8 to miss the playoffs, maybe he could have gotten something going. Same for the other years. That's why the three 8-8s were so bad -- not just for the team, but for him.

But at this point I think the bloom is off the rose. People see that he's more an actor trying to play a coach than someone who actually gives them an edge. I don't see how the same cliches and "great" motivational speeches can register at all with these guys anymore.

Reaction score
Don't tell me his motivational speeches don't work.

He planned that Ground Zero trip and speech for months, and you saw how the team came out and dominated the ...... wait, no, Nevermind. We lost that game.

Okay maybe you're right.

Reaction score
Along With Jerry Jones, Romo Gives Garrett Strong Vote Of Confidence

(snip)

“He was really incredible in getting our football team to play consistently at a very, very high level as far as effort, energy, just week to week,” Romo said. “He really has the pulse of the team and it was a great thing to watch.”

If this was true then the team wouldn't have failed those three straight 8-8 seasons with playoffs on the line in the last game of each. Nor would they routinely commit bone headed penalties that negate big plays on offense, and extend drives on defense. If Romo's statement were true then the team would not turn the ball over at the worst times like it has been, and would not break NFL shame records in failing to generate turnovers. A team with high effort and energy would not be an accident waiting to happen where one boneheaded mistake leads to a series of others that have people like Stephen A. Smith laughing their asses off. A team with high effort and energy also makes fucking tackles routinely, and is sound fundamentally.

Who should I trust? Romo, or my lying eyes?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Who should I trust? Romo, or my lying eyes?
Everything is all rainbows and unicorns, and the negative Nellies out there can't see what's being built!

It's almost like somebody doesn't know the difference between the Scandinavian and the French Defense.

Reaction score
This is how far things have sunk here.

Now "getting great effort and high energy" is sufficient enough to keep your seat. Winning isn't the primary concern apparently.

That's what I was saying from the Jerry Jones/Churchill thread. Jason has numbed the sting of losing and quenched the thirst to win at all costs. Words trump statistics. Character trumps wins. Clapping trumps strategy.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The blame for that lies solely on Garrett.

Disagree, it starts with jerri and his stubbornness, etc, etc. Garrett, like anyone else, is willingly taking the opportunity and money jerri gives him

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
That's what I was saying from the Jerry Jones/Churchill thread. Jason has numbed the sting of losing and quenched the thirst to win at all costs. Words trump statistics. Character trumps wins. Clapping trumps strategy.
"Fight/scratch/claw" replaces execute/perform/kick their ass.

"Fight/scratch/claw" is LOSER talk, it's code for "moral victory" and it's completely the wrong message. It reinforces negative outcomes. Yeah we lost on the scoreboard but we fought we scratched we clawed so it's all okay.

Top Bottom