NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Cowboys coaches angry with Joseph Randle over leaping habit
Posted by Darin Gantt on October 5, 2015, 1:14 PM EDT

Coaches love it when players show extra effort. But the Cowboys obviously feel like with Joseph Randle, it’s more of a foolish risk.

According to Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com, Cowboys coaches were upset with running back Joseph Randle for leaping over the pile and sticking the ball over the goal line, since they had previously scolded him about ball security.

The Saints swatted the ball out of his hand as he reached, though on replay, he was awarded a touchdown since he crossed the plane.

“Obviously it worked out,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. “We scored the touchdown there. He got in before the ball came out. That is something we discussed with him and our other running backs how we want to handle that situation. It’s a dangerous play when you extend the ball like that. It worked out for us but we don’t want to do that in that situation.”

Randle heard it from practically the entire staff after the play, with offensive line coach Frank Pollack first to talk to him when he returned to the sideline. Running backs coach Gary Brown was so upset he kicked the bench and was calmed down by players. Garrett also had some words with Randle.

Randle also dove for a touchdown the week before against the Falcons, and was told not to do it again.

That’s part of the reason he didn’t carry it again in the first half last night, and only four more times the rest of the game. The Cowboys lost third-down back Lance Dunbar, but activated trade acquisition Christine Michael for the first time last night.

As short-handed on offense as the Cowboys are at the moment, it’ll be interesting to see if Randle ends up in the doghouse. But the fact he scored doesn’t cover the fact he disobeyed direct orders a week after being given them.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
We know what we have in Randle. Time for Michael and McFadden to get more significant touches. We need to learn what we have in them too before it's too late to do anything about it.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We know what we have in Randle.
Yep, just another dumb player of many we have. But our only cologne and panty thief!
Time for Michael and McFadden to get more significant touches. We need to learn what we have in them too before it's too late to do anything about it.
Definitely agree.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I tried to tell everyone that Randle is stupid and not good enough to make him worth the trouble.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
That was the weirdest extension for the goalline I've ever seen. Probably why I've never seen it before.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
he's not big enough to power through for a TD, so i understand the leaping strategy (see: Sweetness), but not the one-handed bs.

Reaction score
I don't like any of our backs. Way too early to tell with Christy, but I hated how he stopped in the backfield on his one carry last night. 3rd and short, just trust your blocks and run forward hard and fast. You're not Barry Sanders.

I don't know if he would've gotten the first, but I know his hesitation definitely (obv) cost us there.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I don't like any of our backs. Way too early to tell with Christy, but I hated how he stopped in the backfield on his one carry last night. 3rd and short, just trust your blocks and run forward hard and fast. You're not Barry Sanders.

I don't know if he would've gotten the first, but I know his hesitation definitely (obv) cost us there.
There was absolutely no chance on the play. But you're right, you're trying to make a impression, hit the fucking hole!

It was not at all dissimilar to Switzer going for it on 4th down with the exact same play the Eagles just stuffed. "Load Left." There was no chance at all there for Emmitt.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Does anyone have video of that Christine Michael run? I could have sworn there was a defensive guy 1 yard up field waiting for him.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I was wondering why Randle disappeared in the second half, now I know why

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Does anyone have video of that Christine Michael run? I could have sworn there was a defensive guy 1 yard up field waiting for him.

There were probably 2.

The Oline was complete garbage last night. All of Randle's big runs have been Randle. That big one against Atlanta, both Martin and Free wiffed.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We ran it straight into a run blitz, at least one of not 2 defenders shot gaps, they attacked the point of attack and bumrushed it - almost like they knew the dude was gonna get the ball if he is in there only on short yardage.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Speaking of the Oline. Think Frederick, Martin or Tyrone make the All-Pro team again? Or do they all or one of them get in on name recognition alone?

Top Bottom