Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Click the links for commentary. Must have ESPN Insider.

* underclassman

McShay

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...-goes-no-1-todd-mcshay-2014-nfl-mock-draft-20

1.. Houston Texans - Jadeveon Clowney* DE South Carolina
2.. St. Louis Rams (Washington) - Greg Robinson T Auburn
3.. Jacksonville Jaguars - Teddy Bridgewater* QB Louisville
4.. Cleveland Browns - Blake Bortles* QB Central Florida
5.. Oakland Raiders - Johnny Manziel* QB Texas A&M
6.. Atlanta Falcons - Jake Matthews T Texas A&M
7.. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo
8.. Minnesota Vikings - C.J. Mosley OLB Alabama
9.. Buffalo Bills - Sammy Watkins* WR Clemson
10. Detroit Lions - Mike Evans* WR Texas
11. Tennessee Titans - Anthony Barr DE/OLB UCLA
12. New York Giants - Taylor Lewan T Michigan
13. St. Louis Rams - Marqise Lee* WR USC
14. Chicago Bears - Timmy Jernigan DT Florida St.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers - Louis Nix III DT Notre Dame
16. Baltimore Ravens - Eric Ebron* TE North Carolina

17. Dallas Cowboys - Ha Ha Clinton-Dix* S Alabama
Analysis: The Cowboys' biggest need area is their pass rush (they ranked last in the NFL in sacks per pass attempt), but it might be reaching at this point to draft a D-lineman like Missouri's Kony Ealy or Pitt's Aaron Donald. But safety is also a clear position of weakness -- particularly in coverage -- and the best one in this class is Clinton-Dix. He doesn't have elite man-to-man coverage skills but has good range in zone and is an aggressive, efficient run supporter. Safety is becoming a more important position in the NFL with the increased usage of spread formations, bigger wide receivers and athletic "F" tight ends.

18. New York Jets - Brandin Cooks* WR Oregon St.
19. Miami Dolphins - Zack Martin T Notre Dame
20. Arizona Cardinals - Cyrus Kouandjio* T Alabama
21. Green Bay Packers - Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma St.
22. Philadelphia Eagles - Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan St.
23. Kansas City Chiefs - Odell Beckham Jr.* WR LSU
24. Cincinnati Bengals - Lamarcus Joyner CB Florida St.
25. San Diego Chargers - Loucheiz Purifoy* CB Florida
26. Cleveland Browns (Indianapolis) - Davante Adams* WR Fresno St.
27. New Orleans Saints - Morgan Moses T Virginia
28. Carolina Panthers - Kelvin Benjamin* WR Florida St.
29. New England Patriots - Stephon Tuitt* DE Notre Dame
30. San Francisco 49ers - Ra'Shede Hageman DT Minnesota
31. Denver Broncos - Jason Verrett CB TCU
32. Seattle Seahawks - Jace Amaro* TE Texas Tech

-

Kiper

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...4-nfl-draft-mel-kiper-reveals-mock-draft-no-2

1.. Houston Texans - Johnny Manziel* QB Texas A&M
2.. St. Louis Rams (Washington) - Greg Robinson T Auburn
3.. Jacksonville Jaguars - Jadeveon Clowney* DE South Carolina
4.. Cleveland Browns - Teddy Bridgewater* QB Louisville
5.. Oakland Raiders - Sammy Watkins* WR Clemson
6.. Atlanta Falcons - Anthony Barr DE/OLB UCLA
7.. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Khalil Mack OLB Buffalo
8.. Minnesota Vikings - Blake Bortles* QB Central Florida
9.. Buffalo Bills - Jake Matthews T Texas A&M
10. Detroit Lions - Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma St.
11. Tennessee Titans - Taylor Lewan T Michigan
12. New York Giants - C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
13. St. Louis Rams - Mike Evans* WR Texas
14. Chicago Bears - Timmy Jernigan DT Florida St.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers - Louis Nix III DT Notre Dame
16. Baltimore Ravens - Eric Ebron* TE North Carolina

17. Dallas Cowboys - Ha Ha Clinton-Dix S Alabama
Analysis: Defensive line could also be a pick here, as the team has some age concerns up front, but safety is a major area of need. The Cowboys could use a free safety with range, good instincts and experience who can come in and play right away. Clinton-Dix provides the added bonus of being able to help out closer to the line of scrimmage. While he's great in single high, you can bring him up and he won't shy away from contact.

18. New York Jets - Marqise Lee* WR USC
19. Miami Dolphins - Zack Martin T Notre Dame
20. Arizona Cardinals - Cyrus Kouandjio* T Alabama
21. Green Bay Packers - Calvin Pryor* S Louisville
22. Philadelphia Eagles - Odell Beckham Jr.* WR LSU
23. Kansas City Chiefs - Kelvin Benjamin* WR Florida St.
24. Cincinnati Bengals - Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan St.
25. San Diego Chargers - Marcus Roberson* CB Florida
26. Cleveland Browns (Indianapolis) - Davante Adams* WR Fresno St.
27. New Orleans Saints - Antonio Richardson* T Tennessee
28. Carolina Panthers - Brandin Cooks* WR Oregon St.
29. New England Patriots - Jace Amaro* TE Texas Tech
30. San Francisco 49ers - Jarvis Landry* WR LSU
31. Denver Broncos - Bradley Roby* CB Ohio St.
32. Seattle Seahawks - Allen Robinson* WR Penn St.

Reaction score
God I'd hate to have to root for someone named Ha Ha.

Thats almost as obnoxious as that HeHateMe guy from the XFL

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
2501342-haha_zps9ec6dd27.jpg

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I wanted Eric Reid, primarily in the 2nd. I wouldn't have been upset if we took him in the 1st like the 49ers did. In fact, would hav eloved the draft that had us taking Reid in the 1st, Warford in the 2nd, and possibly Frederics in the 3rd. But that would have been a crack pipe dream.

We definitely need safety. If you are going to have a defense like the Seahawks then it has to start with safeties---plural. I have no faith in either of the ones on our teams. This is how fucked up Jerry is, in that he favors CBs over safeties. I think the CB is the most overrated, overpaid, and overhyped position on defense. Thank you Deion.

Right now Dick Sherman is getting a lot of hype as being the best CB in the league right now. When his contract is up, some sucker of a team is going to blow their wad for him. Fact is, the reason why Sherman is as good as he is is because of those safeties (Thomas and Chancellor). We all saw how Sherman went down in the SB, and the Hawks just plugged in Thurman, and didn't miss a beat. IMO, I always thought Brandon Browner was the better of the two, despite being PEDd.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
When Sherman went out the Seahawks had a significant lead.

Don't sleep on Sherman his man skills are really impressive. The Seahawks want to run a zone scheme but have gone to a man/zone combo to let Sherman lock down his guy. The kid can play.

Great Safeties, and they do have two of them, make any cornerback better. Bad Safeties hurt even the best cornerbacks.

Reaction score
Great Safeties, and they do have two of them, make any cornerback better. Bad Safeties hurt even the best cornerbacks.

Which makes what we do even all the more comical....

We blow all our resources on cornerbacks, and then pair them with white guys, UDFA's, and Willbusts at safety.

Then act all confused when opposing QB's march up and down the field.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Which makes what we do even all the more comical....

We blow all our resources on cornerbacks, and then pair them with white guys, UDFA's, and Willbusts at safety.

Then act all confused when opposing QB's march up and down the field.

We've been doing exactly that for about 8 years.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
When Sherman went out the Seahawks had a significant lead.

Don't sleep on Sherman his man skills are really impressive. The Seahawks want to run a zone scheme but have gone to a man/zone combo to let Sherman lock down his guy. The kid can play.

Whatever. So was Darrelle Revis. What is he doing now? The Bucs got raped on that contract, just like the Eagles, and the Cowboys. The Eagles were smart and cut their losses with Nnamdi.

The bolded part I agree. And I've said as much. In fact if I had a choice between a good safety and a good CB... I'll take the safety. A good safety will make a mediocre CB good, and a good CB great. But not the other way around. This is why I've maintained that safeties are IMO more valuable than CBs.

In fact if you look at the Seahawks defense... the 4 best players IMO are the two safeties (Thomas and Chancellor), and those two DTs (Mebane and Bryant). The rest are just accessories, Sherman included. The Seahawks can part ways with Sherman and still will be fine.

Reaction score
I'm most impressed with the depth on the Seahawks defensive line. Reminds me of that early 90's Dallas front, minus the elite pass rusher we had in Haley.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You don't see them taking tight ends in the 2nd round every other year because you don't build teams doing that. Only one idiot in the league does that and his teams suck.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm most impressed with the depth on the Seahawks defensive line. Reminds me of that early 90's Dallas front, minus the elite pass rusher we had in Haley.

True that, but Cliff Avril is no slouch.

I'm warming up to Di... Ha Ha. Thought I was going to say it. But a good draft would be to get Ha Ha and Aaron Donald.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
TEs in the 2nd --- check.

CBs in the 1st --- check.

Small school player in the 4th --- check.

Reaction score
I just don't get this.

Spencer and Ware were first round picks. Ratliff got a bick contract. Carter and Lee were both second rounders. You could argue that resources are spent on the wrong guys or something, but its not like Jerry hasn't done anything on the defensive line.

Top Bottom