C

Cr122

Post any news or chatter regarding golf in this thread.

Go Phil Mickelson!

C

Cr122

Updated: August 18, 2010, 8:19 PM ET
Steve Williams says job is secure

Associated Press

WELLINGTON, New Zealand -- New Zealander Steve Williams doesn't believe his job as Tiger Woods' caddie is under any threat, despite media speculation about their 11-year association and concern over the champion golfer's form.

Williams told New Zealand radio Wednesday that he and Woods remain close friends and there is no possibility their working relationship is about to end.

Tiger Woods

Woods

"I'm sure if there was going to be some sort of parting of the ways, I'd be the first to know," he said. "From my point of view, I don't see any chance of that happening."

Williams said Woods had no plans to change his key personnel, though he has struggled to regain form after taking a break from the PGA Tour amid revelations of marital infidelities.

"People speculate. He's not playing well and his results aren't what we're used to," Williams said in the radio interview. "Tiger and I are very good friends and we've been through a tough time, there's no question about that.

"I'm fully supportive of the guy and he's been great through this whole situation with me."

Woods consulted with swing coach Sean Foley at the PGA, but it's unclear whether he will work with him full-time.

"He hasn't decided if that's the coach who's going to be with him, but I really like what this new guy had to say and what his theories are," Williams said. "If Tiger decides to stick with Sean, I believe he'll get better. It might take a little while."

Woods finished 28th at last week's PGA Championship in Wisconsin, a week after posting the worst 72-hole total of his career -- 18 over par -- at the Bridgestone Invitational event in Ohio. Williams said nobody should rush to the conclusion Woods was losing his ability or his aura.

"At the end of the day, Tiger Woods is Tiger Woods," Williams said. "He's won 14 majors and 71 PGA Tour events. Regardless of what's gone on, you can't take that away from the guy.

"Tiger knows how to win and people know that he knows how to win. When he gets back in the situation where he's playing well again and he's in contention to win, he'll get the job done."

Williams said Woods remained hopeful of being selected by captain Corey Pavin in the U.S. team for the Ryder Cup.

"It's one of the biggest events in the world and anybody that's played in it before, always has the desire to play in it again," Williams said. "We've got a couple more weeks to show him [Pavin] that he's playing better."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

C

Cr122

Updated: August 15, 2010, 5:23 PM ET
Phil Mickelson shoots 67 in final round

Associated Press

SHEBOYGAN, Wis. -- Phil Mickelson fell short of winning a second major this year or reaching No. 1 in the rankings. These days, nothing seems to faze Lefty's mood after he announced he has psoriatic arthritis and medication has eased the pain.

"I feel like nothing's wrong right now. I feel normal," Mickelson said Sunday after shooting a 67 to complete the PGA Championship at Whistling Straits at 6-under 282. "I don't want to say it's gone away, but all the symptoms have gone away and I feel great."

It was a wild week for the four-time major champion, who was plagued by inconsistency until Sunday's flourish. He said he'll build off his final round performance at Whistling Straits when he starts the FedEx Cup chase at The Barclays on Aug. 26.

Beside disclosing his arthritic condition that's under control, he also announced he was a vegetarian.

"I've been able to work out and get my strength back and flexibility, so I feel terrific. I've responded quickly," he said. "I don't feel like there's anything wrong right now. I've been fortunate so far. I just hope that I still react as well as I have to the meds."

The 40-year-old Mickelson said earlier this week he woke up just before the U.S. Open with "intense pain" in his tendons and joints.

Stretching and anti-inflammatories eased the pain, and he went ahead and played Pebble Beach, but the condition got progressively worse during the U.S. Open and a family vacation, spreading to his knees, hips and elbows.

After the British Open, Mickelson made a trip to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., where doctors confirmed the diagnosis of psoriatic arthritis, which causes joint pain, stiffness and swelling.

"I feel great after just over two weeks of treatment," he said.

The good feelings come even though Mickelson will remain second in the World Golf Ranking. He needed one of five scenarios to play out -- all of them involving a finish of no worse than fourth.

Tiger Woods will keep that spot for a record 271st consecutive week, even though Mickelson doesn't mind the repeated questions of when he'll be No. 1 for the first time in his career.

"If I just can start playing well, I think I can get that done," Mickelson said with a smile. "It just wasn't to be this week."

More sharp rounds like Sunday's will help.

He eagled the par-5 fifth and was just short of a hole in one on the par-3 seventh, which he birdied to move to 4 under. Mickelson then reeled off three consecutive birdies on Nos. 12-14, including sticking his second shot on the 14th inside the shadow of the flagstick to move to 7 under.

"I had some good op portunities, then I made a few putts. It was just a fun day," said Mickelson, who won the 2005 PGA. "I thought the conditions were much more difficult. I thought if I could get to 9 [under] or 10 [under] I was going to delay my flight because you just never know, but 6 under is not going to be enough."

His aggressiveness never wavered, either. On No. 18, he ignored the advice of caddie Jim "Bones" Mackay to be conservative after his tee shot was in the rough.

"I said, 'Look, I'm not thinking consequences of a bad shot.' I was trying to make a three," Mickelson said. "The last thing I was thinking about was anything other than trying to win the tournament."

Mickelson went for the green, ending up in more trouble.

His chip from an awkward lie on his third shot was long, forcing him to two-putt for bogey. After this week, not even the down note could sour his mood.

"Winning a major makes the year special," he said. "I was trying to get a little greedy and see if I could get a second one. Unfortunately, I didn't play good enough golf. Had a fun week, though. I really enjoyed my time here."

C

Cr122

Updated: August 18, 2010, 5:13 PM ET
Report: John Wooden had rare golf feat

ESPN.com news services

John Wooden wasn't just a great basketball coach. He apparently could swing a golf club as well.

The late, great UCLA coach had a hole-in-one and a double eagle in the same round in 1939, according to a story in the Los Angeles Daily News on Tuesday.

Wooden died June 4 at age 99, and his family has been cleaning out his Encino, Calif., condominium. His daughter, Nan Muehlhausen, showed the card to the newspaper and said that Golf Digest asked to see it.

"Daddy said he had it but he didn't know where it was," Muehlhausen said, according to the Daily News. "I said I'll make a copy [when we find it] and send it to them. [My brother] Jim was offended. They wanted proof. He said, 'If daddy said he did it, he did it.'"

The newspaper cited Golf Digest as saying only four people have ever been documented as having a hole-in-one and double eagle in the same round.

Six people signed the scorecard from Erskine Park Golf Course in South Bend, Ind. Along with the relic, the family found a card from the PGA of America acknowledging the hole-in-one and a short article about Wooden's feat.

He aced the par-3, 149-yard sixth hole with a 5-iron. The double-eagle 2 came on the par-5 16th hole. Wooden shot 4-over 75 for the round.

C

Cr122

Updated: August 24, 2010, 9:09 PM ETErica Blasberg's death ruled suicideEmail Print Comments59 ESPN.com news services

LAS VEGAS -- The Clark County coroner's office ruled Tuesday that 25-year-old professional golfer Erica Blasberg's death was a suicide.

Blasberg died May 9 at her home in Henderson, about 15 miles southeast of the Las Vegas Strip. She was found with a plastic bag secured over her head.

Blasberg

Henderson police said that while no foul play is suspected they have issued a misdemeanor arrest warrant for Dr. Thomas Hess on obstruction charges. Police said Hess, who discovered Blasberg's body, removed items from the scene, including a suicide note.

The contents of the note haven't been disclosed.

Hess turned himself into authorities, was booked into jail and released about 35 minutes later after posting $637 in bail Tuesday afternoon, Henderson police spokesman Keith Paul said.

David Mincavage, an assistant city attorney in Henderson, said the nonviolent misdemeanor charges against Hess carry a maximum penalty of a $1,000 fine and six months in jail.

Mincavage said he could not comment further on the case, and Paul declined to say whether additional charges were possible.

The coroner's office said Blasberg died of suicide due to asphyxia, coupled with the presence of toxic levels of prescription medication in her system, including prescription headache, cough, pain and anti-anxiety medications.

The drugs in Blasberg's system included butalbital, temazepam, alprazolam, codeine, hydrocodone and tramadol, according to the coroner, but Nevada law doesn't permit the release of details on the amounts of medication.

"While asphyxia was the primary cause of death, the presence of prescription drugs in Ms. Blasberg's system was a significant factor," coroner Michael Murphy said.

A 911 call from Hess that summoned police came from the house, and Blasberg was alone when officers arrived, police have said. Blasberg's agent said her bags were packed for a tournament in Mobile, Ala., when she was found.

The death investigation was complicated, police said, because Hess admitted altering the scene -- including the removal of the note indicating Blasberg took her own life -- and he stopped cooperating with detectives. Hess hid the note and prescription medications in his vehicle.

In a 911 call obtained from police by The Associated Press, Hess says he came to the house to check on her after she didn't leave for the tournament.

"I called her yesterday, she was supposed to be leaving for a golf tournament but she didn't," an agitated Hess said on the call. "She picked up the phone and she sounded intoxicated at that time."

Hess said Blasberg had consumed a "couple drinks" and was sad the night before her death but didn't indicate she wanted to kill herself.

When asked by the female operator whether Blasberg was beyond resuscitation, Hess replied: "I'm a doctor."

But Hess didn't say he was Blasberg's doctor, instead saying he "knew her from the golf club."

When the operator told Hess she was sending police, she asked him to wait outside the house.

"Try not to touch anything," she said.

"Yes ma'am," he replied.

A Blasberg family attorney told ESPN he is in the process of determining the exact nature of the relationship between the golfer and Hess, but Blasberg's father, Mel Blasberg, told "Outside the Lines" that he believes Hess and his daughter were involved in an "intimate" relationship.

Calls from The Associated Press to Blasberg's father, her agent Chase Callahan and Hess' lawyer Charles Kelly were not immediately returned.

The Nevada State Board of Medical Examiners in Reno said Hess' medical license is active and he has had no disciplinary action or pending complaints. He got his license to practice in Nevada in July 2003.

Blasberg grew up in Southern California and was in her sixth season on the LPGA Tour.

She was a former junior golf standout, an All-American in 2003 and 2004. She was the 2003 NCAA Freshman of the Year and 2003 Pac-10 Player of the Year while at the University of Arizona.

She turned professional in June 2004 and won once on the Duramed FUTURES Tour before qualifying for the LPGA Tour in 2005.

Her best year on Tour was 2008, when she earned a career-best tie for eighth at the SBS Open in Hawaii and more than $113,000 in winnings, the LPGA said.

Blasberg played in one event this season, tying for 44th in the April 29-May 2 Tres Marias Championship in Morelia, Mexico.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

C

Cr122

Updated: August 29, 2010, 5:30 PM ET
Padraig Harrington leads Ryder picks

Associated Press

GLENEAGLES, Scotland -- Edoardo Molinari of Italy came up a big winner twice on Sunday -- first winning the Johnnie Walker Championship, then becoming one of three captain's picks for Europe's Ryder Cup team.

Colin Montgomerie also chose three-time major winner Padraig Harrington and Luke Donald, who is No. 10 in the world ranking.

European Ryder Cup team

Montgomerie Colin Montgomerie's European team faces the defending champion American squad Oct. 1-3 at Celtic Manor in Wales:
Player Ryder Cup record
Lee Westwood 14-10-5
Rory McIlroy 1st Ryder Cup
Martin Kaymer 1st Ryder Cup
Graeme McDowell 2-1-1
Ian Poulter 5-2-0
Ross Fisher 1st Ryder Cup
Francesco Molinari 1st Ryder Cup
Peter Hanson 1st Ryder Cup
Miguel Angel Jimenez 2-7-3
Padraig Harrington 7-11-3
Luke Donald 5-1-1
Edoardo Molinari 1st Ryder Cup

In one of the toughest choices for any European captain, Montgomerie had three picks for five worthy candidates.

He had to leave off Paul Casey, who is No. 9 in the world and played on the last three teams, and Justin Rose, who won twice on the PGA Tour this summer at the Memorial and the AT&T National.

Montgomerie suggested that he had made up his mind about Molinari before he birdied the last three holes to win at Gleneagles.

"It made our job easier that he did win," Montgomerie said. "What he achieved in three rounds was enough to tell us that this player was capable of handling the most incredible pressure so well."

Far tougher was having to leave off Rose and Casey, who has won the World Match Play Championship in England and twice was runner-up in the Match Play Championship in Arizona. Making it worse, Casey and Harrington were playing together in the final round at The Barclays. They were on the sixth hole when Harrington's wife gave him thumbs-up to signal he was on the team.

"Caroline is a great friend," Casey said. "She would have said something to me if I had been picked. So at that point, I kind of knew that I hadn't."

It led to an awkward situation the rest of the round.

Harig: Judgment Day

Bob Harig Colin Montgomerie's task of picking three players for the Ryder Cup -- eventually choosing Padraig Harrington, Luke Donald and Edoardo Molinari -- left two of the game's best at home, writes ESPN.com's Bob Harig. Story

"It was very, very hard to stick to your job," Harrington said. "It was never going to be easy on Monty."

Montgomerie said Molinari, who birdied the last three holes to win on Sunday, is "the type of player we need to regain this Ryder Cup."

"In my 24 years on the European Tour I have not seen a finish of that quality by anyone in such a pressure situation," Montgomerie said.

"Having to come here and having to win what he did today was incredible. And to birdie the last three holes in the way that he did -- the job in selecting the wild cards [was] very, very easy for us."

Molinari joins his younger brother Francesco on Europe's team. They will be the first brothers to play in the Ryder Cup together since Bernard and Geoffrey Hunt of England in 1967.

"It's a delight that we have two thrilling players coming from an emerging country like Italy and it's no secret as to who will be partnering each other at Celtic Manor," Montgomerie said.

The Molinari brothers were a winning pair at golf's World Cup in China last year and both will make their debuts against the United States at Celtic Manor in Wales from Oct. 1-3.

"It was quite an emotional moment for me because this means I will be playing with my brother in the Ryder Cup and that [is] something that is almost unreal," Eduardo Molinari said.

"We communicate differently from best friends out on the golf course -- a lot of the time we don't even have to say anything to each other, we know exactly what the other is thinking or wants to do and that's a great help."

Harrington and Donald were on the course in the final round of The Barclays in New Jersey. Donald birdied his opening six holes, playing as though he were making closing arguments, and he went out in 28 to get within two shots of the lead. He learned the news on the 10th green, then bogeyed the next two holes.

"It did throw me off a little," Donald said, relieved to make the team after what he called a "crazy" selection process. He also felt bad for Casey and Rose, particularly because Donald's brother is the caddie for Casey.

Montgomerie explained the choice of Harrington and Donald ahead of Casey and Rose.

"Padraig has won three majors in the past two years, he has great stature in the game and when his back is up against the wall he comes out and gives tremendous performances," Montgomerie said. "He is a great competitor."

Montgomerie said Rose would get a place on the team in the event that Lee Westwood failed to recover in time from his calf injury.

Montgomerie also announced that Europe will have a fourth vice captain as Sergio Garcia agreed to join his staff.

The nine players who qualified on their own for the Ryder Cup team were Westwood, U.S. Open champion Graeme McDowell, PGA champion Martin Kaymer, Ian Poulter, Ross Fisher, Francesco Molinari, Peter Hanson, Rory McIlroy and Miguel Angel Jimenez.

Six of Europe's players have never competed in the Ryder Cup -- the Molinari brothers, McIlroy, Hanson, Kaymer and Fisher.

Montgomerie said the selection meeting with his vice captains took five hours, adding "we had an embarrassment of riches on this occasion."

U.S. captain Corey Pavin is to announce his four picks on Sept. 7 in New York.

C

Cr122

Updated: September 13, 2010, 12:12 AM ET
Tiger Woods out of FedEx Cup finale

By Bob Harig
ESPN.com
Archive

LEMONT, Ill. -- Tiger Woods' FedEx Cup season ended Sunday with little fanfare, save for the drama that accompanies a round with Phil Mickelson.

The final round of the BMW Championship saw Tiger and Lefty paired together. Mickelson got the best of Woods, shooting a 4-under 67 to Woods' 1-under 70, at Cog Hill.

It was the first time the top two players in the world played in the same group this year. They had not played together since last November in China at the HSBC Champions, a tournament Mickelson won.

The last time they were paired together in the United States was at the 2009 Masters, where they played a riveting duel but finished behind tournament champion Angel Cabrera.

I've played better than I have all this year. But it is what it is. I didn't qualify, and since I'm at home it also gives me two weeks to practice and prepare.
” -- Tiger Woods

Sunday's pairing had little of that aura. Both players were seemingly out of contention and it was clear early that Woods would not be able to muster a low enough round to advance to the Tour Championship, where the top 30 in the FedEx Cup standings will play at East Lake in Atlanta starting Sept. 23.

"Obviously I would rather be there,'' Woods said after his tie for 15th in the tournament left him 42nd in FedEx Cup points. "I've played better than I have all this year. But it is what it is. I didn't qualify, and since I'm at home it also gives me two weeks to practice and prepare.''

Woods' reference was to the Ryder Cup, which begins Oct. 1 in Wales. Two of his U.S. teammates -- at-large picks Rickie Fowler and Stewart Cink -- also failed to advance to Atlanta.

The other nine members of the team will be at East Lake, led by Matt Kuchar, who is first in FedEx Cup points. Dustin Johnson, Steve Stricker, Mickelson, Jim Furyk, Hunter Mahan, Bubba Watson, Zach Johnson and Jeff Overton are all eligible for the FedEx Cup finale.

Despite a final-round 77, Bo Van Pelt snagged the final spot in the Tour Championshp, edging Bill Haas. Fowler, who shot a 73, was 32nd in points. Charlie Wi, who was in contention Sunday before a final-round 74, tied for eighth and dropped out of the top 30 to 33rd.

The only European Ryder Cup team member to advance was Luke Donald, as Rory McIlroy finished 36th and Ian Poulter, with a final-round 75, ended up 39th. A couple of Europeans who were not picked by captain Colin Montgomerie, Paul Casey and Justin Rose, also made the 30-man field in Atlanta, where Mickelson will defend his title.

Mickelson, who struggled to score during the first three rounds of the tournament and was among several players who criticized the redesign of the Cog Hill course, saved his best for last.

It didn't hurt that he was paired with Woods. They have now been grouped together 26 times in PGA Tour-sanctioned events, and Mickelson evened up their head-to-head record at 11-11-4.

Mickelson has now gone 6-1-1 in their past eight meetings and Woods has not fared better since the second round of the 2008 U.S. Open.

"I enjoy it,'' said Mickelson, who tied for eighth at the BMW. "He certainly brings the best out in me. That wasn't the case earlier on. But I feel like he gets the best out of me now.''

There wasn't a whole lot of banter between the two, but Mickelson said they did briefly discuss the Ryder Cup and how "we're both looking forward to going over there.''

And despite Woods being 3-over par through 8 holes -- he was 4 over for the last 10 -- Mickelson does not believe Woods' game is far off.

"I think his game is inches from being there,'' Mickelson said. "His speed is back. He's solid, very close. He's hitting shots. He didn't pull off a few today, but he hit a lot of good shots there coming in.

"He made a couple of bogeys and followed up with a number of birdies there toward the end. But you can tell that his game is like inches from turning because his speed is back and his putter looks great. I mean, his game is not that far off at all. It looks very close to being right there.''

This will be the first time since turning pro at the end of 1996 that Woods will miss a tournament because he was not eligible. But it is the third time in the last five years that he will not be at the Tour Championship.

Woods skipped it in 2006, then won the FedEx Cup in 2007 and 2009. He missed the Tour Championship in 2008 due to injury.

And unless he is able to win the HSBC Champions in China, he will go an entire year not winning a PGA Tour-sanctioned event for the first time in his pro career.

As is his custom, Woods chose to look at the positives of the situation. He will use the next two weeks to work on his game, the first extended time he will have at home since starting work with instructor Sean Foley at the PGA Championship.

"I can practice at home with Sean in peace and away from everybody and put some work in and also work on my short game and my putting, things I have not been able to do out here,'' he said "It'll be nice to work on all these little things and concentrate on my game a little bit more and sharpen up, be ready come Friday [of the Ryder Cup]."

Bog Harig is a golf writer for ESPN.com.

C

Cr122

Updated: September 16, 2010, 7:37 PM ET
Report: Tiger Woods to keep home

By Bob Harig
ESPN.com

Tiger Woods will keep his Orlando, Fla., home in the gated Isleworth community, according to court records obtained by Bloomberg News.

The home, valued at $2.4 million according to Orange County Florida property records, had been where Woods and his ex-wife, Elin Nordegren, lived with their two children.

According to Bloomberg, a legal document dated July 4 transferred the home to Woods, whose one-car accident in front of the house on Thanksgiving led to disclosures of infidelity and, ultimately, the couple's divorce last month.

Woods has been building a home in Jupiter, Fla., but has lived in the Isleworth community since shortly after turning pro in 1996.

Woods, 34, has endured a winless season on the golf course since returning from a self-imposed break due to his personal issues. He has played in 12 tournaments, with only two top-10 finishes -- ties for fourth at both the Masters and U.S. Open.

He failed to qualify for next week's Tour Championship in Atlanta, but will be part of the United States team that takes on Europe a week later at the Ryder Cup in Wales. Woods was one of captain Corey Pavin's four at-large picks that filled out the Americans' 12-man roster.

Bob Harig is the golf writer for ESPN.com

C

Cr122

Updated: September 21, 2010, 12:39 PM ET
ESPN to carry more of Masters in 2011

ESPN.com

The Masters will add an extra hour of live tournament coverage on ESPN for the first two rounds of the tournament beginning with the 2011 event, Augusta National Golf Club chairman Billy Payne announced Tuesday.

The 2011 Masters will air on ESPN from 3 to 7:30 p.m. ET on Thursday and Friday, April 7 and 8.

Harig: Keep It Coming

Bob Harig In an age of sporting event saturation, wouldn't it be nice for golf fans if the Masters went even further than its announcement Tuesday of one more hour of weekday TV coverage? ESPN.com's Bob Harig weighs in. Story

"Since our first telecast of the Masters in 1956, we have carefully maintained a tradition of high-quality programming within an appropriate broadcast window," Payne said in a statement Tuesday. "Now, with the proper infrastructure and resources in place, we are confident the additional coverage will meet the high standards of the millions of golf fans who enjoy viewing the Masters each April."

In addition to more air time for the first two rounds, Payne also announced that Great Britain's Sky Sports will join the BBC as a live broadcaster of the 2011 Masters and that the BBC will air the tournament live on the weekend.

Sky Sports also will distribute the first live 3D Masters coverage to U.K. viewers with 3D-capable televisions. Last year, the Masters became the first major sporting event in the United States to be produced and delivered in 3D to televisions and computers in homes throughout North America.

The Masters has been broadcast by CBS every year since 1956 and early-round coverage has been televised by ESPN since 2008.

"ESPN is proud and excited to partner with the Masters to bring this additional live tournament coverage to golf fans," George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN and ABC Sports, said in a statement. "We look forward to again presenting the tradition and beauty of the Masters next April."

C

Cr122

Tiger Woods replies to challenge

Updated: September 28, 2010, 7:40 PM ET

By Bob Harig
ESPN.com

NEWPORT, Wales -- There is nothing like a little extra motivation for Tiger Woods -- perceived or otherwise -- heading into a big event.

So it took little time Tuesday for the subject of Northern Ireland's Rory McIlroy to come up at Celtic Manor.

Wojciechowski: A Different Tiger's Tale
The Ryder Cup is set up perfectly for a tour de force Tiger comeback: an international stage on which he can flaunt his red, white and blue blood. Just one thing. He needs to win, writes ESPN.com's Gene Wojciechowski. Story

McIlroy has been outspoken in recent weeks about getting the opportunity to play in the Ryder Cup against Woods, given the world No. 1's recent lackluster form.

"I would love to face him," McIlroy, who won the Quail Hollow Championship in May for his first PGA Tour victory, said in an interview with the BBC last month. "Unless his game rapidly improves in the next month or so, I think anyone in the European team would fancy his chances against him."

Asked his reaction to McIlroy's comments, Woods wasted few words.

"Me, too," he said.

Asked if he cared to elaborate, Woods said, "No."

The Ryder Cup is always about those spicy little moments, and Woods has long been known to carry such grudges to the tee.

Asked his reaction to McIlroy's comments, Woods wasted few words. "Me too," he said. Asked if he cared to elaborate, Woods said, "No."
He didn't take kindly to Vijay Singh's caddie having the words "Tiger Who?" stitched to his cap at the 1998 Presidents Cup.

And when Stephen Ames pointed out in 2006 that Woods had been driving the ball erratically on the eve of their match at the Accenture Match Play Championship, Woods defeated him by the second-largest possible margin in an 18-hole match, 9 and 8.

When asked later if Ames' comments had inspired him, Woods responded, "As I said, 9 and 8."

McIlroy tried to downplay his previous comments about Woods, pointing out that he uttered them the week following the Bridgestone Invitational, where Woods had his worst 72-hole tournament as a pro.

"So he wasn't playing too well at that time," McIlroy said. "He's obviously getting his game together, and he's working with Sean Foley and he's making a few swing changes. I said this week and last week, I don't mind who. I just want to win points against the team."

There had been rumblings that Woods approached McIlroy at the recent BMW Championship near Chicago to basically say, "Be careful what you wish for." But McIlroy denied Tuesday that such a conversation took place.

A meeting between the two this week would have to come somewhat by chance.

The pairings for the three-day competition are made by a blind draw, although it has become quite clear that McIlroy will play with reigning U.S. Open champion Graeme McDowell, and they might even lead off the proceedings Friday morning.

In that case, does U.S. captain Corey Pavin send out Woods first along with his suspected partner, Steve Stricker?

Pavin, unlike his European counterpart Colin Montgomerie, is keeping his pairings guarded. And Woods would not confirm any possibilities, either.

"We'll find out," Woods said, smiling.

This will be Woods' sixth Ryder Cup dating to his rookie year in 1997. He missed the 2008 matches while recovering from knee surgery, the year the United States won for the first time since 1999.

His overall record of 10-13-2 often has been used as an example of his indifference toward the event. The Americans are 1-4 in those matches.

"It would be great to get a win and I'm looking forward to getting out there and contributing and hopefully get some points and hopefully we can get this thing done," he said.

Tuesday was the first day of practice on the Twenty Ten course at Celtic Manor, designed specifically for the Ryder Cup. What began under a light drizzle soon gave way to mild sunshine, only for rain to arrive toward the afternoon.

Based on the foursomes both captains sent out, there were no surprises.

Europe started on the back nine with Francesco and Edoardo Molinari playing with McIlroy and McDowell. Ian Poulter, Luke Donald, Padraig Harrington and Ross Fisher brought up the rear.

Woods played alongside Stricker, with whom he was 4-0 at the Presidents Cup a year ago. They were joined by Hunter Mahan and Zach Johnson, while the anchor foursomes were Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson with Bubba Watson and Rickie Fowler, the 21-year-old who became the first PGA Tour rookie to be picked for the Ryder Cup.

Bob Harig is a golf writer for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

C

Cr122

Is Rory McIlroy the next Tiger Woods?

Very impressive win in the U.S. Open at 16 under.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Is Rory McIlroy the next Tiger Woods?

Very impressive win in the U.S. Open at 16 under.

The odds that he'll win 14 majors are probably slim, but I'll still pull for him more than I ever have Tiger.

I'm still of the opinion Tiger used streroids and/or other PED's for a long time.

Top Bottom