dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Report: Mike Munchak eyed for PSU job
ESPN.com news services

Tennessee Titans coach Mike Munchak has been targeted for the job of Penn State head coach by a search panel tasked with finding a successor to fired Hall of Fame coach Joe Paterno, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Tuesday.

According to the newspaper's anonymous sources, Munchak and Green Bay Packers quarterbacks coach Tom Clements are the leading candidates to replace Paterno, but Munchak is the top choice.

Munchak, who was an NFL Hall of Fame offensive lineman for the-then Houston Oilers and played on Paterno's offensive line from 1978-81, "would be a great fit" in State College, according to former PSU tailback Curt Warner.

"He's a Penn State guy," Warner told the paper. "I don't think any of his old teammates would be upset about him getting the job at all. He has my support. I'd love to see him get it."

Munchak, 51, was hired as the Titans franchise's 16th head coach in February, his first head coaching job after 14 seasons coaching Tennessee's offensive line. Before that, he started at the entry-level position as quality control assistant with the offensive staff through 1996.

Paterno was fired in November in the aftermath of child sex-abuse charges against former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, who maintains his innocence. Paterno is not a target of the investigation.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Mike Munchak not leaving Titans
ESPN.com news services

Titans coach Mike Munchak on Wednesday quashed rumors he would leave the NFL to coach Penn State, telling a Tennessean reporter that he has "no interest" in the Nittany Lions job.

"I love my alma mater, but I have no interest in being the head coach at Penn State," Munchak said, according to a tweet on Tennessean reporter Jim Wyatt's Twitter page. "I never want to leave Tennessee."

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette had reported Tuesday that Munchak has been targeted by a Penn State search panel as the successor to fired Hall of Famer Joe Paterno.

According to the newspaper's anonymous sources, Munchak and Green Bay Packers quarterbacks coach Tom Clements are the leading candidates to replace Paterno, but Munchak is the panel's top choice.

"I have a great deal of respect for Penn State and I hope they find a great coach there," Munchak told the Tennessean reporter. "But I am happy where I'm at."

Munchak played on Paterno's offensive line from 1978-81.

"It is not like I'm saying I want nothing to do with Penn State," Munchak said, according to another tweet. "My point is I have no interest in being the head coach there."

Munchak, 51, was hired as the Titans franchise's 16th coach in February, his first head coaching job after 14 seasons coaching Tennessee's offensive line. Before that, he started at the entry-level position as quality control assistant with the offensive staff through 1996.

Paterno was fired in November in the aftermath of child sex-abuse charges against former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, who maintains his innocence. Paterno is not a target of the investigation.

Top Bottom