Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
It sucks. I can't get with todays wrestling. I grew up watching in the 80s. Macho was a favorite of mine. Him and The Million Dollar Man. Loved both characters among others.

I often wiki guys from that era to see what they're up to.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Wrestling was at it's best back in those days.

Pro wrestling seemed to have to have two "golden" eras... The 80's being one of them.

The other one was the 50's & early 60's. Wrestling was a staple of network TV during that time period. By the time the mid-60's came about other cheap (costing) TV shows were available and the wrestling ended up on Saturday afternoons or late Saturday night.

sbk92

Reaction score
The biggest audiences for wrestling though was in the 90's. When Raw and Nitro went head to head.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
The biggest audiences for wrestling though was in the 90's. When Raw and Nitro went head to head.

WCW owned the WWE in that time. I'm not 100% sure why they ended up folding, but I think I read something about a Merger and also they were giving the keys to creative writing to Vince Russo and Kevin Nash near the end.

sbk92

Reaction score
WCW owned the WWE in that time. I'm not 100% sure why they ended up folding, but I think I read something about a Merger and also they were giving the keys to creative writing to Vince Russo and Kevin Nash near the end.

Yeah I read Bischoff's book about that. And also another titled the Death of WCW.

Basically they over spent for talent. Gave them unheard of guaranteed deals. People got fat and content. They ignored the young talent and catered to the declining stars. Then Bischoff leaves. Comes back. Hogan had creative control and pretty much refused to "job" for other wrestlers. Nash started writing storylines and supposedly was really unprofessional taking care of his buddies and trying to keep down the guys he didn't like. Then with the merger, WCW had to clear all their angles with the board. Which meant everything had to be PG rated. And this was at a time when the WWE began their attitude era. They just couldn't compete.

When WCW was taking over the top spot, Steve Austin was part of the company. Bischoff got rid of him. He did the same with Mick Foley. Chris Jericho. Eddie Guerrero. Chris Benoit. All those guys became big stars at WWE. With Austin basically changing the fortune of both companies.

Last edited:

Mr.Po

Reaction score
There virtually is no wrestling in wrestling anymore. It's dominated by forgettable muscle bound characters and imported lucha libre munchkins encased in a bad B-movie dialogue. Wrestle 2-3 mins then scream in a microphone for 15 - 20 mins on how your gonna kick their ass at the next pay per view. Wash - rinse - repeat.

sbk92

Reaction score
I've tried to watch what's going on now and I just can't. I think it's awful. I haven't seen a single character I find remotely interesting besides the few guys still around from the 90s.

This whole draft thing they do now. One guy is on smackdown, the other on raw. Gay.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
And TNA is like I'm watching a spoof of a wrestling company.

lol

If I was going to spend an hour or whatever a week watching wrestling, that's what I'd watch. I became a fan of Hogan when he turned heel with the nWo. His character as a bad guy cracks me up. He's way over the hill now, but I find it more entertaining than what you mentioned about the WWE.

Scott Hall was another guy I loved watching for his character. I always hoped he'd clean up his act, but I heard recently he nearly died from an overdose and has a pace maker installed. I did hear that even with the pace maker, he was going to wrestle for a smaller company, but after he nearly died and showed up drunker than shit, the company thought better of it.

sbk92

Reaction score
lol

If I was going to spend an hour or whatever a week watching wrestling, that's what I'd watch. I became a fan of Hogan when he turned heel with the nWo. His character as a bad guy cracks me up. He's way over the hill now, but I find it more entertaining than what you mentioned about the WWE.

Scott Hall was another guy I loved watching for his character. I always hoped he'd clean up his act, but I heard recently he nearly died from an overdose and has a pace maker installed. I did hear that even with the pace maker, he was going to wrestle for a smaller company, but after he nearly died and showed up drunker than shit, the company thought better of it.

Hogan's my guy. I got into wrestling just before he won the belt from the Iron Shiek. IMO, he's put all the other stars after him on the map. But I'm embarrassed for him when I see him out there still doing his character. Sad that he still needs the money.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
I think the movie "The Wrestler" hits home for a lot these guys. Can't walk away from whatever limelight is still left, can't do anything else, and just one more time ringing through their thoughts that never comes to fruition

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I think the movie "The Wrestler" hits home for a lot these guys. Can't walk away from whatever limelight is still left, can't do anything else, and just one more time ringing through their thoughts that never comes to fruition

Agreed. I guess the story was rumored to be about Jake the Snake Roberts.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
If you guys have been to one, what was the best live match you witnessed?

Mr.Po

Reaction score
If you guys have been to one, what was the best live match you witnessed?

Anytime I saw Flair live. He talked and walked it......................Kiss stealing, wheeling - dealing, Jet Flying, Limousine riding, son of a gun, woooooooooooooh!

Never really liked Hogan and despised the " The Real American" BS routine with say your prayers and eat your vitamins. When he turned heel with the NWO storyline only then did I start to become a semi fan. By then his better days where definitely behind him. Never saw him live in black only in his starburst outfit and I was the only one booing.

Top Bottom